Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275 >

Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Notices

Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Old 08-14-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boating Fool, I think you are pushing your limits with the Ranger. I would think you should be o.k. with anything that is a 1/2 ton with a V8.
I have a '98 Yukon with the 5.7 liter that I pull a 272 with. I am surprised how well this package works for me. I have a Dorsey trailer under the boat. This thing pulls straight and stops straight, regardless of how quick I have had to stop.
I recently put new tires on this Yukon. I bought 10 ply tires and this made a difference for the better too. I have no complaints pulling with this set-up 500-700 miles, regardless of the conditions. Hilly terrain or whatever. Heck, I bought the boat in Oklahoma and pulled back to Columbus, OH. 1200 miles and the set-up is great!!!!
I have a friend with a 272, he has a 1/2 ton Dodge with the small V8 (318?) and he needs more motor for this set up, but it doesn't bother him to stuggle up the hills. Although, he sure wishes he had more motor when I go by him!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:15 AM
MikeBaja232

Thanks everyone for the input. I'd certainly like to buy a new tow vehicle and a new boat, but that's twice the cash; not happening.

Luv-N-It: What gear ratio do you have in your Yukon?

Mike

Old 08-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Mike, I know its not the 4:11, therefore, it should be the 3:42. I'm tellin' ya dude, I don't have one problem at all with this package. I mean it, from a dead start to a dead stop! Up the hills, taking corneres or whatever. The new 10-ply tires really make it nice. Very little sag on the rear end (full tank of gas and gear in the back). I don't get the occaisinal tire roll in corners anymore either.

I have pulled the boat out of some "hellish" ramps with inlcines. I have never used 4 wheel drive yet. I just make sure I don't break/spin the tires coming out of the water. It may take a few extra seconds doing it this way, but, oh well. I'm not abusing the vehicle or tires either.

I also pulled a 24' Sea Ray with it too. Same weight capacity too. Never any problems. Although, the Sea Ray had an Eagle andem trailer under it, and it pulled fine, but would sway a tad. The Baja has a Dorsey trailer under it, and it pulls straighter and I feel more comfortable pulling it faster too then I did the Sea Ray.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:36 AM
MikeBaja232

Luv-N-It:

I have the 3.42 ratio in my Tahoe and pull a 1997 232 Islander. I estimate the usual tow weight to be around 4800 - 5000 lbs. I definately know the boat is back there; particularly up hills. Before I put the larger tires on the truck, it pulled very nicely; but the taller wheels decreased the ratio and I really noticed the difference.

I thought the only gear ratios available on the Tahoe/Yukon with 4x4 were 3.42 or 3.73. The 3.73s would be nice.

Mike

Old 08-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Registered

I agree, I know mine is back there to, but I guess what I'm saying is that the Yukon does not "struggle" with the hills. I just push the pedal down more and I have no problem staying at the speed I like. No valvas chattering or rattling. NOBODY FLYIN' BY ME.

You are right they came with a 3:73 or 3:42. Mine has the 3:42. Sorry about my ignorance.

Was size tires did you go to? I just went to the LT245 75 R16 10 PLY. My old ones were the P245 75 R16. I could see if you changed the tire height it would drag you more, becuase its the same theory of going to a higher gear.

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 08-14-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:57 AM
MikeBaja232

Luv-N-It:

Ignorance ... hardly.

I went from the stock LT245-75-16 to a LT265-75-16. I wanted a little more ground clearance and traction for mild offroading when I hunt. Apparently, a LT285-75-16 will fit; however, this is a somewhat rare tire and it's cost reflects it. The bigger tires really fill out the wheel wells nicely - looks much better.

Mike

Old 08-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Registered

Hey Mike, where do you boat at in your area?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:04 AM
MikeBaja232

Luv-N-It:

We boat in Kentucky; on the Ohio River, Taylorsville Lake, Nolin River Lake, Barren River Lake and Dale Hollow Lake. In fact, we just got back from Dale Hollow; spent a week camping. Awesome lake - just beautiful.

Old 08-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

That is cool. Do you overnight on your boat? I know we (my family) overnight a lot on our 272. I am surprised how much room we have on the 272.

Does Dale Hollow have a noise/exhaust ordinace? Man, I would love to go there. Heard many, many good things about Dale Hollow.

The family and I are going to Cumberland this weekend. 5-1/2 hr total driving time.

Have you been to Kentucky Lake?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:16 AM
MikeBaja232

Luv-N-It:

No we don't sleep on the boat; it's an open bow. We looked at a 272 the other day and were impressed with the room as well. I was previously interested in a 25 Outlaw, but there is no room in the cockpit.

I'm not aware of a specific noise ordinance at Dale Hollow; there probably is one, but I've never had any problems and I run straight exhaust.

Hope you have a nice trip to Lake Cumberland. It's been many years since I've been there; but I have a number of friends to go there and speak highly of it. To me, I like Dale Hollow soo much, that for the same drive time, I always pick DH over LC.

Take care.

Quick Reply: Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.