Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275 >

Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Notices

Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Old 08-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boating Fool: I too think you would over tax the ranger. But why don't you try something like this first: rent a car-hauling trailer and pull it on those kind of hills empty, then with a small car on it, then with a full-size car on it (but only if you are comfortable with the way the small car/trailer feels). I'm estimating that the full size car and trailer would be within 1000 pounds of the boats/trailers you are thinking of. Remember, getting the rig going is not as important as keeping it under control and getting it stopped.

If your truck is a 2001, you might be able to trade it for a similar aged full-size truck and not be that different in costs.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I was considering an 25' Outlaw too. I agree, little room in the cockpit. The Outlaw would have been my choice for "me", but with kids, I need more room.

If you have kids, or if you are planning on kids, you will appreciate the 275 more. I have two kids. One is a toddler, so its nice having a bigger cockpit.

Good luck with the purchase, take your time, get a good feel for your purchase, sign the papaers, and let it rip!!

Happy and safe boating,

Mike
Old 08-14-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I own a 272 (hopefully not much longer) and I tow it with a Navigator. It tows great, smooth ride.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:24 PM
Boating Fool

Thanks for the input guys. Because of the size I will probably have to go with a hammer(don't even have a boat and I have 2 footitis). Smaller and lighter. Like I said, most of my pulls will be less than 5 miles to a ramp. One is about 5 from the edge of the town where I live to the ramp in the middle of town. The other is about a mile from my dads driveway to the ramp. That short of distance doesn't bother me. Anyways I could always use my dad truck when I am down there. It was just that occasional pull back to IN from KY that bothered me.

I have pulled a 14ft trailer loaded down with 4 wheeler and numerous other items on it when my dad moved from IL to KY. I had just gotten the truck. To boot I had the bed loaded down with stuff also. It ran though the forementioned hills at 65. with out a problem.

The most I would have this truck would be would be 2 seasons at the most. But right now I am stuck with it.

Here is a funny one: My cousins had a '95 260 that they pulled with Cherokee People use to tell them "yeah I saw a boat pushing a truck down the road the other day"

Old 08-14-2002, 04:31 PM
dloftis

BoatingFool, FYI:

I have a 2001 4runner, similar power and capacity to the Ranger. I also have a 2001 Hammer.

I'll tell you this, the boat, trailer, gear, and some gas EASILY weight 5,000 pounds. Acceleration does not exist. Handling is OK at best. Stopping is fine thanks to the surge brakes.

Hills SUCK. I have to floor it all the way up a TEXAS hill (not a big hill) to keep it at 60.

I'd try to tow something of similar weight first, to make sure you'll be comfortable doing it.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Boating Fool

dloftis, Thanks for the info, I was wanting to hear from someone with hammer or H2X. Accelation and speed are not what I want or need. Just get the boat there safe. Plus as far as I am going whats an extra minute or two. I would not pull any faster than 60 for fear of having to stop quickly.

I know I won't be making any 200-500 mile trips pulling a boat. 100 at the most. And that 100 miles, the boat will be low on fuel, and most of the gear will not be in it. About the only thing in it would be life jackets, bumpers, ropes and the things that have to be in it. Nothing more.

Aren't you putting yours up for sale. Just curious what are you asking. I am starting to look and get prices and putting numbers together. I am still more than a year away. So hopefully you can sell yours for your sake. If not let me know.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:18 PM
dloftis

Your ranger should pull the Hammer OK. Be REAL careful though. The boat will push the truck around pretty good, and you really have to watch the slippery ramps if you don't have 4wd. I tow mine a lot and it scares me sometimes. I'm currently in the market for a 3/4 ton truck, it'll be overkill for the Hammer, but I'm going to upgrade before I get ANOTHER truck... so better to be prepared.

I'm not ready to sell the Hammer, just trying to get an idea of how much it was worth. My next boat will be in the 30' range with twin power. I can't afford it yet, and even if I could... a> the insurance would be impossible (I'm under 25) and b> I'm still getting comfortable with handling this little boat, I'd hurt myself or someone else with a 30'er with that kind of power.

FWIW, check out www.boattraderonline.com --- Plenty of Hammers on there with fair prices.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Boating Fool

I have been watching boattrader pretty close lately. Just curious if don't mind, what does your insurance run. I am almost 27 so by the time I get a boat I will probably be 28. I am little worried about it too. Insurance and cost is one reason why I am not looking for a 25 or 26 ft cat. That is what I would really like to have. I really like my dads 28 cat. So far price range for me will be 20-30 thousand range. Probably go with a short term loan so I can have it paid off quicker and upgrade quicker. Which by then I should have a new truck. I just hope my company is still part of the Ford X plan then.

Old 08-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Boating Fool,

I had an opportunity to pull my 24 Outlaw with a V-8 Dakota. There was plenty of power but with a truck that small, I had issues with the tail wagging the dog. I imagine a Ranger would suffer the same way. I also had to install an air suspension on the Dakota.

I've owned the following trucks and have towed with all of them:

1997 Ram 2500 with V-10 and 4.10
1998 Dakota with V-8 and 3.55
2001 Ram 1500 with V-8 and 4.10
2002 Ram 2500 with Cummins and 3.55

The V-10 towed the best but could not be used as an everyday driver. Back then it didn't matter. I was single, rich, and had a Toyota truck as an everyday driver. Now that I'm married and poor, my tow vehicle has to also server as my everyday driver. As a result, Diesel was the only way to go.

As far as insurance - I pay about $900 a year. My 24 Outlaw was about $450 a year.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:27 PM
dloftis

Insurance varies by boat, horsepower, driving record, credit record, boating experience, boat storage location, and a few other things.

Call a few places and ask for quotes. They shouldn't give you a hard time.

Quick Reply: Towing 25 Outlaw, 272 or 275

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.