Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Blower on 24 outlaw >

Blower on 24 outlaw

Notices

Blower on 24 outlaw

Old 08-28-2002, 06:06 PM
bayou outlaw

Default Blower on 24 outlaw

I am considering re-powering this winter and was considering putting a supercharger on my 1994 24 outlaw. Does anyone have any experience with this? There does not appear to be enough room between the seat and the pulleys and I do not want to start chopping on my back seat. Current engine is 454mag. Was wondering if it would be worth it. Thanks, Andy

Old 08-28-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Andy, I just went through this...Sit back and I'll spin ya a little story of what happened.........

First off, your 454 is the one with the forged crank and pistons and all that right? not the 454L with the cast stuff. If you have the cast parts the blower will destroy the motor.

I had the 454L motor in my Outlaw and was going to throw a baby wylin blower on it but found out about the probs I would have had and didn't. I came across a 525SC, sold my 454 to AudioFn and began the process of having the 525 put in. It just so happened almost everything was bad on the 525 and needed replacing. So new JE pistons, boring out the block, milling the heads new altinator, water pump, manifold, msd ignition,etc etc etc later the "NEW" motor was ready to go in.

This motor also has a super chilller on it so the blower sits up even higher. I knew the blower pulley was going to go into that large over hange box behind the rear seat so I figured I would just cut it to fit the blower. What I didn't realize was that the seat comes out in two pieces that sit on each other and that "box" behind the seat is just a piece of ply wood. The mechanic I used did cut the ply wood which also cut into the wood under the seat cusion area as well.

I took the seat over to a buddy's house and we began cutting into the back of the seat. We measured everytning out and we cut it pretty precise. I only had to cut into the lower back rest portion of the two piece back rest. The back rest is actually a hollow box. I also needed to cut into the foam a little. I then realized I wasn't only going to need to cut this portion but also the seat cusion that you flip up to get to the storage under the rear bench. I cut into this an area of about 4 inches by 3 inches. bolted everything back in place and....Wala, all done!

The whole seat job only took maybe 2 -3 hours. Not difficult at all and didn't cost a dime! I've had the boat out a few times with no probs. The blower belt comes VERY close to where we cut but it doesn't hit. What I think I'm going to do next is fabricate a stainless box to cover the exposed portion of the blower. That way someone doesn't put there little hands between the seat crack or get a towel caught down there or something.

I just got done putting the 10 hour break in time on the motor and heading to Havasu this weekend to get serious! The motor is putting out 650 HP and is running KILLER!! I also bought for it the gil dry exhaust and wpm twin ram external steering (both bought from oso members )

I didn't need to put in a scoop or change the engine hatch due to the fact theres just so much free-board on the outlaw! the blower sits down there with room even sitting on top of the chiller. If you need anything else, let me know.

By the way...The boats for sale....6 month warranty on the motor too!

Tank
Old 08-28-2002, 08:01 PM
bayou outlaw

Tank, thanks.....that's what I was afraid of. I really was not too keen on modifying my seat. Now I am kinda wondering if I should do it. Could you e-mail me some pics on what you did so I can see if I understand a little better? I would really hate to mess up the seat. Again, thanks. Andy

Old 08-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Whipple should fit, a Pro Charger will fit. Both make good power.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 3,240 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Andy, I don't have a digital camera or a scanner...Maybe I can get Nort (universal chaos) to take some of the boat. Teh seat is really not that much work at all. Like I said, it only took 2-3 hours tops! And you cannot tell the difference what-so-ever looking at the rear bench seat. The other thing you would have to do is move your rear bench forward thus having to make a new engine hatch...Now that would suck!!

Oh one more very important fact. I don't know if you already looked into this but you have to pull the motor to get the lower pulley on and the blower belt on. If you look in your engine compartment, look down the front of the motor and look how close the lower pulley already is to the stringer...My minds a blank right now, not the stringers that run down the boat but the ones that run across, the name escapes me right now Anyway, theres not enough room to get a wrench in there to pull the lower pulley off and def. not enough room to put the new, bigger pulley on. This is another reason why I didn't do the blower on the last motor. We looked into drilling a hole through the stringer big enough to get a socket in from where the fuel cell is but that was just going to be to much work. Pulling the engine is alot of work too!!! But it's the only way. I'll try to get you some pics...I need to snap some anyway for the board. Let me know what you decide to do. The seat really is the least of your worries with the blower....I think Doc is right, a whipple or pro charger would be easier all the way around. Unless of course you do what I did and just put a whole new motor in!!

Tank
Old 08-28-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My blower motors were built from the original 1994 454 mags I had.

I've never heard of anyone who put blowers on who did not pull the engine (or wish they had).

I'm not a mechanic but I do pull my own engines. Remove Bravo drive (6 nuts), disconnect wiring harness and starter wires, disconnet shift and throttle cables, gas line, 2 motor mount nuts, 2 transom pins. Takes about 3-4 hours per engine

I believe you have a Gen V engine who's fuel pump is above the water pump driven by the same belt.

Plan to have your engine rebuilt with new pistons, roller cam, and rockers. I used the Weiand 256 due to its ease of maintenence and versatility. The 525SC uses a Weiand 177 I believe. Belts are easy since the tentioner is spring loaded.

The pully adds about 4 inches to the front. They barely fit in my 32, the only thing we cut was about an inch out of a lip in the seat. Real easy on my boat. Pic's on my website if they help.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:22 AM
Rick252

Default Re: Blower on 24 outlaw

Originally posted by bayou outlaw
I am considering re-powering this winter and was considering putting a supercharger on my 1994 24 outlaw. Does anyone have any experience with this? There does not appear to be enough room between the seat and the pulleys and I do not want to start chopping on my back seat. Current engine is 454mag. Was wondering if it would be worth it. Thanks, Andy
I just received a bunch of specs from Procharger. It included a draft of the motor with the S/C installed and showed all the measurements. The cost for mine (7.4 MPI) was $5,029.00. I was wondering the same thing. My 252 doesn't look to have the room between the pulleys and seat back. I'll be doing some measuring this weekend