Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Anyone have a fix for loose bolster?? (long w/story) >

Anyone have a fix for loose bolster?? (long w/story)

Notices

Anyone have a fix for loose bolster?? (long w/story)

Old 09-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Default Anyone have a fix for loose bolster?? (long w/story)

Ok, I've been nursing this problem for like a year now but heres the deal; I pulled up the floor bolts on the driver bolster on the starboard side. As you may or may not know it is quite the biotch to actually through bolt these in there and they are just screwed in. So I've done the epoxy, bought bigger screw/bolts etc. etc. etc. It was hanging in there ok until this weekend

I was at Havasu this weekend coming back from one of the party spots Saturday night. I was running HARD in some pretty nasty water (because of the side wash from wakes...Confused waters) I think I was running 75ish when I came off one wake and landed pretty hard on the port side. No big deal except I came down on the left side of the bolster and completely ripped all the starboard side screws out of the floor mount for the seat.

This thing is DONE!! So I don't know what the hell to do. The only thing I can see doing is making some type of backing plate and tach welding the nuts on it to actually bolt the seat down on the right side like it is on the left. Of course this would mean I would have to unbolt both the inner sides of both seat mounts and loosen the outter ones so I could take the center floor access to the fuel cell out, lean in there and line everything up to bolt it back together Not exactly an easy job!

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

By the way, the boat ran TITTS!! the only person that went by me was my buddy in his 33 Eliminator w/ twin 500's. He was doin about 105! I even had an awsome cat with a big'ol blown motor run up on me, then I opened it up and we ran together for a while, kinda back and forth. I don't know if it was the rough conditions or the fact he had like 6 people in his boat but he didn't take me!! God that feels good!!!

Thanks for the help in advanced.

Tank
Old 09-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tank,

I hate hearing about the bolster problems, but love hearing how well the boat runs. That is sweet.

E-mail me your address at; [email protected]

and I will drop something on UPS for you that might work. It's worth looking at before you go to all that trouble.

Don't forget to e-mail me.

Mark
Old 09-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem was the base of the bolsters were only 1.5" wide. The leverage on the back was pretty big and the seat base started to sink into the fiberglas. I put a 3/16" 4" wide SS plate on each side and extended the back by 4". I'm able to access the under side through access holes and put 2" wide aluminum on the under side. 1/4"-20 bolts with lock nuts and washers to finish the job.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bajalion; 09-04-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Bajalion,

How did you gain access to the under side? I don't have any access spots to the far side mounts. Theres two accesses to the fuel cell but they are in the middle of the floor and my arm isn't long enough to reach over to the far side...I'm guessing that's why Baja put the screws instead of bolts in in the first place. did you cut a new access or something? Or is there another access in the bigger outlaws?

Mark,

You're a stud! You have mail

Thanks you guys,

Tank
Old 09-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question, I can't remember for sure but I believe I do. Access panels are cheap (West marine, Boat US) and easy to install. I'll try to remember to take some pics this weekend.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Registered

You know, I thought about maybe putting an access panel in. Is it pretty easy?? I just didn't know if I wanted another one of those big black circles on the floor. But then I thought about maybe putting one in under the foot rest where it would be out of site. I'll have to look into that. That would be alot better than tearing everything apart!

Tank
Old 09-06-2002, 02:39 PM
Registered

Mark,

I got the package you sent. Thanks bro! That stuff looks killer. And the other goodies in there are cool! Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.

Tank
Old 09-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Tank,

Look luck with that. Glad you received it.

We have sold it now for about six months. out of probably 300-400 cans sold I have only heard good things.

Just apply it, let it harden, then you can drill, tap, machine, sand, etc.

Keep us posted.

Mark
Old 09-06-2002, 11:52 PM
Registered

Hey Doc,

I did want to get the details on how to apply the stuff. You kind of said how to do it in the above post. But just to get it straight....I should pull all the screws out, fill the holes, let dry, then drill with a small bit to start the screws?? Thanks brother.

Tank
Old 09-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Tank,

You are right on for using that stuff.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Anyone have a fix for loose bolster?? (long w/story)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.