Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
antifreeze and winterizing >

antifreeze and winterizing

Notices

antifreeze and winterizing

Old 09-30-2002, 09:30 AM
bajabob

Thanks alot, I too winterize and dewinterize at my house. Sorry to say, I will have to do this in the next month. (Wish, I could talk the wife into moving to Florida.)
I was being told the auto antifreeze was bad for the motor,which did not make any sense to me. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something,somewhere thats why I put the questian out there.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If there's something in your manual that states one way or the other, follow those reccomendations. Like for instance, in my 496 with the closed cooling, the manual specifically states not to use Automotive in the closed loop because the lubricants are not the same.

However, for winterizing purposes only, on a regular(non-closed cooled) motor, either should work fine. People have been using the Auto stuff forever.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I winterize with auto antifreeze. I also recover by draining the blocks in the spring. I recover about 80% and use it again.

I spoke with a marine mechanic I respect, he says that the new stuff turns slushy but does not freeze or expand. He suggested I use it.

I've also dry block stored my boats buy draining the blocks, manifolds, risers and oil coolers. Not for the faint of heart, but if you can get at all these items it works just fine. Make sure water comes out of each one or you have a clog, again not for the faint of heart. My dad worked at a marina for 30 years and said that's the way it used to be done. Very cheap too!!!!

Here is a tutorial:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/com...tm&store_num=4

Last edited by bajalion; 09-30-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not use auto anti-freeze and let it run down the drain. Boats pollute enough without us having to help them along.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Allan4

I agree, try not to toss out too much of the green stuff, if you can help it, it's pretty wicked stuff. By the way, you will need about 5 gallons of whatever you choose to winterize.

About the whole Donzi issue up top, is it 77.3 GPS as stated at the bottom, or is it 74.1 GPS?

As far as Donzi vs. Baja, we could all go back and forth for hours, but personally speaking I ran dead even with a new 26 in my 24 OUtlaw. I had 4 guys, he had two, we ran thru some very snotty bigtime Sunday afternoon boat traffic waves on the Ohio River (were talking cruiser waves, not bass boats.....and lots of them, really rough). Anyway, they are cool baots, no doubt, but you came to the wrong place to start talking **** about your Donzi. Because although I like all the boats, I ran 70+ with this guy for about a mile, dead even. I was pretty pleased considering how rough it was and how he was bigger and heavier. My .02. LAter

Old 09-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Allen.....was that you at New Richmond getting fuel Sun.
afternoon ?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:38 AM
29Fever

Allan,

What's up? A few of us are going to Cumberland (Conley Bottom) Oct 11 for the weekend if you guys are interested.

My buddy Rick (yellow 240) liked my 302 so much he went out and bought one.

As for the step vs. non step. I went from a 29' Fountain to a Baja 302. The step hull glides better on top of the water in smooth water. The nonstep is much better in rough stuff. For me I prefer giving up the top speed for quality of the ride. Not to mention I have a four-month old daughter. To each his own. I personally think Donzi builds a nice boat, but there isn't any room in them until you get to the 33'. If I were looking for a stepped hull boat in that price range, I would go back to a Fountain! Just my.02

Tim

Old 10-03-2002, 07:21 PM
Allan4

Birddog, nah, that wasn't me, I made the mistake of going to the Bengal's game instead of heading out on the water. That's what season tickets will do to you......THEY SUCK SO BAD!!!!! I may try to head out this weekend, weather and river depth considering

Timbo.....HOWDY Baja Brother....HAHAHAAAA. Thanks for the invite, but I am staying in towm for the rest of the year. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new ride. Sure is sweet looking. We can build you a few 509's if ya like.....HeHeHe.....See ya out on the river perhaps, you too Birddog.....Later guys....A4