25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI >

25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI

Notices

25 Outlaw Whipple Merc 525 EFI

Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Got a buddy with an Eddie Young blown 540 in a 26' AO cat running an SCX upper with an SC lower. SecondWind here on OSO. He's been running this setup for a couple years now with no failures. He doesn't baby the boat. He just went back to Eddie this winter for a head swap (aluminum vs. iron) and a smaller pulley to up the boost.
What kind of power is he putting through the SC lower?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
What kind of power is he putting through the SC lower?
800 before the latest changes.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 103 Posts

Shes going to be sweet this summer, can't wait!

SCX lower 100%.....especially for a family boat that will already go WAY faster than with the stock setup.

Remember a cat is much more efficient just cruising around its putting less stress on the drive. Plus 2 summers may not be that many hours. Sure the SC lower will work, but why risk ruining that beautiful upper to runs couple mph faster for a few seconds? Especially in a 25' boat, just think about how long can you really run at max speed, about 90+/-mph, before having to slow for a wake!? Wouldn't you rather be able to run harder with the SCX over slop vs the 1 or 2 mph faster in the rare Perfect calm conditions? Over a long distance I bet the confidence and reliability of the SCX lower will result in a faster overall speed than the rare occasions you are able to utilize the SC lower.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 259 Likes on 120 Posts

800 before the latest changes.
Beadman is correct 817HP on the dyno with no accessories and dry headers which Eddie estimated 750HP in the boat w/ accessories and wet stainless marine exhaust. We've run the boat one complete season now w/ an IMCO SCX upper/SC lower w/ no issues. That combo did slow the boat down 5mph from XR/SC combo. Hence we just added another 150HP to try and keep the 100mph criteria. We thought about a SCX lower too. It was explained to me that the bullet of the SCX lower is really too large to run a 15.25 prop. Most of the blade is walled by the bullet, making it a bad combo. So you would need to run a surface piercing prop on a number 6 prop shaft. Those props are huge and cost $5500. We pull kids skiing and thought a that wasn't a good idea. I'm no expert on drives but do run the dog **** out of this boat and can tell you the combo has worked flawlessly for one season. That's all I know.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input guys. Good info all the way around! Offshorexcursion is right, I don't think I'll be running it up to the top very often. Coming screaming out of the no wake zones might be a different story tho. I think the plan is going to remain to run a scx lower first. If I don't have any speed (5mph+ under from where I should be) or handling issues (stern lift) with it then I'll stick with it. If I feel there's something left on the table then I should be able to try an SC to compare.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Beadman is correct 817HP on the dyno with no accessories and dry headers which Eddie estimated 750HP in the boat w/ accessories and wet stainless marine exhaust. We've run the boat one complete season now w/ an IMCO SCX upper/SC lower w/ no issues. That combo did slow the boat down 5mph from XR/SC combo. Hence we just added another 150HP to try and keep the 100mph criteria. We thought about a SCX lower too. It was explained to me that the bullet of the SCX lower is really too large to run a 15.25 prop. Most of the blade is walled by the bullet, making it a bad combo. So you would need to run a surface piercing prop on a number 6 prop shaft. Those props are huge and cost $5500. We pull kids skiing and thought a that wasn't a good idea. I'm no expert on drives but do run the dog **** out of this boat and can tell you the combo has worked flawlessly for one season. That's all I know.
Sorry man thought you had a couple seasons on that drive setup now. The seasons all blur together after awhile!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 259 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry man thought you had a couple seasons on that drive setup now. The seasons all blur together after awhile!
No worries, I'm hoping to get two trouble free seasons out of the drive so I like your optimism. Turning the boost up may add some drive drama. This high performance stuff is expensive! I wanted to mention to the OP your upgrades will most likely increase the fun factor and maintenance cost of your boat exponentially.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Registered

^^^^Yes it will, hopefully it'll be worth it!

I got the pinion assembly out of the the SCX upper (PAIN) and the drive shaft swapped out so that should be all set. This weather is teasing us in WI big time. 67 degrees today, with a high on Saturday forecasted of 28... As soon as I know it'll stay warm out the motor is going in! Realistically it'll probably be another month yet
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

A litlle off subject here, but where in Wisconsin are you located , and what lakes do you boat on?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revd Up
A litlle off subject here, but where in Wisconsin are you located , and what lakes do you boat on?
South eastern wi just north of west bend. We're on winnebago, Lake Michigan, big cedar lake most of the time. Also get to okauchee lake, lake Geneva, green lake as well as others. There's good barge parties and tie ups all over the state!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.