baja 275 stereo and steering wheel questions

Notices

baja 275 stereo and steering wheel questions

Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default baja 275 stereo and steering wheel questions

Hello,

I recently left the cover off my boat for about a week and as a result some water got into my stereo. Needless to say it is no longer working properly. Can anyone make any suggestions on a good stereo that will fit into the factory slot with no modifications? I am a bit picky on sound quality so I'm up for some higher end suggestions.

Another question is I've seen some nice aggressive looking aftermarket steering wheels on bajas in the past. Is there a website these can be ordered from? The one I'm looking for is all red with polished aluminum looking centre spokes.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Should just be a clarion head unit in there. Probably the Old CMD3. Witch is LONG discontinued. You can try to find a used one some where but who knows your getting.

CMD8 is the newest. Now comes the the next problem. Do you have wired remotes? Some work, some don't, when going form old to new. I got lucky. My CMD8 worked with small 2" round gauge size remote in my 2000. Other wise you have dead remotes, or you replace them with ones that are compatible with the CMD8.

CMD3

New CMD8

Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

My boat is a 2005 so hopefully I don't have any issues with the remotes. Is the CMD8 the only stereo that is a direct replacement?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly recommend the Rockford Fosgate PMX-5. It will fit in the original slot, but the four holes for screws are different, so you'd have to live with or fill them. Check for my thread in electronics for more details.

Wheels: ISOTTA Marine
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2004 275 and I upgraded to an M606 clarion. Same wiring, same hole. I also added a waterproof wireless (floating) remote.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 275BBoss
My boat is a 2005 so hopefully I don't have any issues with the remotes. Is the CMD8 the only stereo that is a direct replacement?
Steve's 30 Outlaw is a 2006. Head unit died and only could get the CMD8. He cant get his remotes to work with the new unit. So i would think yours being a year older you will run into issues.

Now on my 2000 33 OL. Not sue what Clarion head unit came out of the factory. (I think the single DIN size with a plastic cover). Now it has a CMD8 in it and the remotes form 2000 (looks like small 2" gauge) work with the CMD8. No idea why but they do.

( Full disclosure. The remote is 17 years old and acts up. Hold the vol button to long and it wont stop going till at max or min volume)
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the wired remotes changed in 2009. The pinout is different and the older remotes typically won't physically plug into the new remotes. If your remote will physically plug in then I'm sure it'll work, else you'll have to replace those too. I think they were a 5 pin and now they're 8 pin.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have at my slot an plastic cover mounted with clear fron that can be closed!
Inside standart size Kenwood Marine Radio.So it never get any water from rain or cleaning!
Michael

Last edited by Brembofreak; 10-01-2017 at 02:35 AM.