Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap

Notices

Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap

Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Nice clean job. Looks really good!

I see you have a Bravo on the swim platform and a cleaver on the drive. What do you like better? What kind of performance from each?
Thanks Keith. I believe you’ve been following my thread? Not to side track from OP’s thread, the 17” round ear cleaver is my favorite prop thus far, however my 15-5/8” Maximus is close in performance/ trim reaction. The boat seems to run “smoother” with the cleaver though. No porpoise, no vibration. I still want to try a full tube Maximus, mine is full diameter but 5/8” of the tube cut off. The boat still seems to like the long tubes, carries the whole boat well. I’ve been in by Bblades a whole lot in the past month and a half....

Thats actually a bblades 5 speed on the swim platform.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onlywinni
Anyone that has done a repower can you give me an idea if you were able to sell your 496 and Bravo X drive and if so for how much...Figure I will have somewhere in the 400 hour range when I pull it so cant imagine it is worth too much?
I would think your boat is worth a good chunk more than 30-35, especially it it’s in good to really good shape.

Good condition fresh water 496s sell almost like hot cakes. I think mine had over 500hrs on it when I sold it to another member on oso. I didn’t have much problem selling the bravo x either, let it go for pretty cheap because of the amount of hours on it though.

Anyone who gets wrapped up in the “you’ll never get your money back out of it” game then to me this is not the hobby for them. Try to repower a cigarette or a fountain etc... including drives, rigging and let me know if the return is there on one of those. Hell, I can’t imagine buying a brand new high performance boat and two years down the road losing 200-300k. Bottom line is yes you have to think long and hard before you embark on a project like this. There are used motors and drIves out there.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
I would think your boat is worth a good chunk more than 30-35, especially it it’s in good to really good shape.

Good condition fresh water 496s sell almost like hot cakes. I think mine had over 500hrs on it when I sold it to another member on oso. I didn’t have much problem selling the bravo x either, let it go for pretty cheap because of the amount of hours on it though.

Anyone who gets wrapped up in the “you’ll never get your money back out of it” game then to me this is not the hobby for them. Try to repower a cigarette or a fountain etc... including drives, rigging and let me know if the return is there on one of those. Hell, I can’t imagine buying a brand new high performance boat and two years down the road losing 200-300k. Bottom line is yes you have to think long and hard before you embark on a project like this. There are used motors and drIves out there.
Thanks for the info on the 496s....

Great points about Losing money. It is the name of the game on boats, cars and motorcycles and I play with them all...!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

When I started racing superbikes I wasted more money trying to save money, so you’re doing well to do it right the first time. I also watched more than one $50k moto get get destroyed for a total loss and got into boats because they’re less of a loss, lol. Bottom line: all objects in hobbies are best to be considered consumables and only spend what you can afford to lose. With that said - have a blast! The memories and friendships I developed are priceless.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Also, I may be interested in that X drive.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Registered

Have you thought of other power besides the 600? Lots of 525s out there, maybe Whipple it in the future. 700s even seem to come up fairly often, if your going to upgrade the drive right away. F it, one of the 860 qc4v’s, or an 1100, no a 1550! Cause a 1750 would be overkill....

Were good at helping people spend money!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Have you thought of other power besides the 600? Lots of 525s out there, maybe Whipple it in the future. 700s even seem to come up fairly often, if your going to upgrade the drive right away. F it, one of the 860 qc4v’s, or an 1100, no a 1550! Cause a 1750 would be overkill....

Were good at helping people spend money!
So I have thought and researched more marine engines than I care to admit too over the past two years. I recently spoke to Teague about one of their 825s and that rang in around 70k matched to one of their drives and Hydraulic Steering-which is actually a decent deal for an engine they warranty and claim makes over 900 horse.

The issue I have is 91 octane is only available at two places on my lake and it is a decent ride away from my cottage. I have 4 marinas on my side of the lake that all only have 89. I know with the 600 if I keep it stock I am fine and wont need the 91 unless I do the Whipple upgrades. I have seen a couple 700s come up as well used so could consider that...I just like the idea of everything new if I am spending all that money.

A 26 that runs strong in the 60-70 range and will still get me near 80 is really all I am looking for so that is why I was leaning towards the 600.

Oh believe me I looked into the 860 as I wanted that until I learned MSRP was 130k...!!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 260 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by onlywinni
So I have thought and researched more marine engines than I care to admit too over the past two years. I recently spoke to Teague about one of their 825s and that rang in around 70k matched to one of their drives and Hydraulic Steering-which is actually a decent deal for an engine they warranty and claim makes over 900 horse.

The issue I have is 91 octane is only available at two places on my lake and it is a decent ride away from my cottage. I have 4 marinas on my side of the lake that all only have 89. I know with the 600 if I keep it stock I am fine and wont need the 91 unless I do the Whipple upgrades. I have seen a couple 700s come up as well used so could consider that...I just like the idea of everything new if I am spending all that money.

A 26 that runs strong in the 60-70 range and will still get me near 80 is really all I am looking for so that is why I was leaning towards the 600.

Oh believe me I looked into the 860 as I wanted that until I learned MSRP was 130k...!!!!
And it would sit like this

Last edited by JaayTeee; 09-24-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Whippled 525 makes way more power than the 600 sci
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered

Glad to hear you’ve done your homework! No such thing as too much due diligence. 70k for the Teague setup isn’t bad, but I’d be concerned about that drive behind that power... really concerned. I think you’re on the right track with 60-70-80 range, these boats are fun at those speeds and plenty controllable with hydraulic steering. And with a blower motor the acceleration is probably the funnest part!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.