Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
2002 25 Outlaw >

2002 25 Outlaw

Notices

2002 25 Outlaw

Old 02-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 910 Likes on 392 Posts

Looks like it’s been stored for some time. Maybe because it filled up with water? I’d ask the seller why in the world it’s so dirty back there. Looks like newer speakers in it so was probably used in the past few years?

The engine hatch fuses could be blown? Maybe because wiring was submerged in water? Fuses are below the steering wheel on drivers helm.

Moisture inside interior appointments is kind of vague. Unless he’s referring to under the bench seats? Which if the bilge filled with that much water there was probably water in the cabin as well. Not saying that’s what happened just trying to give some ideas.

IMO I’d be extremely leery with this boat. Looks rough. Yes it could probably be cleaned up if it’s sound structurally but that’d have to be well worth it in the price, for me at least. Other thing I never liked with the smaller bajas was how the attached the trim tabs with basically wood screws at the bottom of the transom, just asking for rot.

Not trying to be a downer just don’t like to hear about people buying about and getting stuck with a turd. That’s how boating in general gets a bad wrap.

The 25 Outlaw is a great start to power boating and there’s enough of them out there that you can be somewhat picky.

Last edited by IGetWet; 02-29-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll have to ask seller what happened with the situation in the bilge. I feel comfortable about fixing the majority of issues. To me it just needs some good TLC which I am more than capable to do. Like you said, I just want something that is structurally sound, and reliable. Which makes me worry about why so much water would be there.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 910 Likes on 392 Posts

If you’re capable and not afraid of tearing into it I say go for it, again if there’s no rot and it’s priced accordingly.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:12 PM
Registered

Anyone know where I can find a replacement hatch hinge? If that’s what it’s called? It’s the arm that locks open the cabin hatches.

Last edited by bdavidt; 03-07-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts

Engine mounts are rusted badly. I wonder if it took on water?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

the boat could be a water damage boat. The old statement in the industry is ridden hard put away wet. The put away wet part sure looks like it.

Have to ask where is the engine part of the survey and other depth for anything mechanical and testing results especially scan results ? Anyone can point out skeg damage - interior tears and so forth. You need a lot more depth than what was done and written.

Just pointing out as this could be possible a money pit boat. Who did the survey and is there anymore to it than what you posted ?

Last edited by BUP; 03-07-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:19 PM
BUP
Banned

looked at pics again that engine compartment was half under water. I bet the drain plug was left in and fill up with water or it was a half sunken boat or the transom leaks like a sieve. That is water damage in that engine compartment 1000 percent. That is very obvious - did any of that come up in the survey ?? Did anyone pull the outdrive yet ? My guess a complete rust bucket all that end

Last edited by BUP; 03-07-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:29 PM
BUP
Banned

the spin on fuel filter has been on there forever - When boat owners can not spend 12 bucks to yearly change fuel filters - that will be the least of your problems. Trust me this boat is a total lack of maintenance from the owner on top of the water damage in the engine compartment.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Registered

Yes, the boat shows some very bad signs. I have passed on the boat. The marine surveyor could have done a better job, yet he still recommends the boat. What he provided me is something I could have easily done myself yet I’m 12 hours away.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bdavidt
Yes, the boat shows some very bad signs. I have passed on the boat. The marine surveyor could have done a better job, yet he still recommends the boat. What he provided me is something I could have easily done myself yet I’m 12 hours away.

Unfortunately I have had this experience with surveyors also. Some are good and worth the piece of mind , but to me I know enough about boats I can do it myself. Never again.

FWIW I know you passed on the boat but my 252 Baja Islander had a very dirty bilge when I bought it also. Mold , water lines, rust you name it. Boat definitely had water sitting in it at some point. Was cheap enough so I took a gamble. I spent alot of time cleaning it and it did come back. I have not had any stringer or transom issues yet for two seasons and I drive it hard so I think I'm ok.
Good luck with your search , 25 Outlaw is an awesome boat and what I would own if I didnt have 3 kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.