502 Mag MPI  in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question >

502 Mag MPI in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question

Notices

502 Mag MPI in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question

Old 02-26-2023, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Well you didnt listen to a word I told you before see post #6........
Old 02-26-2023, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Well you didnt listen to a word I told you before see post #6........
But I did!

That 502 mag mpi should have a MEFI 3 computer and they only show total hours of run time not hours at different rpm's so something isnt making sense.
In a later post I asked if the scan data could vary by production year? You're saying if it's a 502 Mag MPI of any year, a scan will only show total time, no breakdown by rpm, etc? I spoke with the shop owner and he knows the boat, as it is in twice a year for service. If you are telling me that I'm seeing a fabricated scan report, this is a big collusion between a shop and customer. And for what purpose? So it has more hours than suggested in the report ... seems like a lot of devious effort for little potential upside.

Anyhow, I was just asking questions, and I appreciate answers. I wasn't sure your explanation about MEFI 3 scan data was absolute across the years. I'm not sure any further investigation is worthwhile, unless I get serious about the boat. No matter what, I've go some learning to do.
Old 07-17-2024, 10:20 AM
Registered

That 502 mag mpi should have a MEFI 3 computer and they only show total hours of run time not hours at different rpm's so something isnt making sense.
I'm trying to buy this boat here in Phoenix. Arizona and I started looking and came across this page.Can someone please respond to me. I have a late trial today.With the gentleman and i'm trying to figure out what is going on with this boat.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zippinbyeu
That is the case. I tried to view it today, but our schedules are not lining up; it's going to be the weekend. Owner has a recent scan, showing 89 hours total with zero hours over 5000 rpm, 50% of hours <2000 seeming to be idle and no wake zone and the other half between 3001 and 4000, with just 2.2 hours between 4001 and 5000. If I move forward, there will be a pre purchase inspection, including a scan. Lake trial too.

Not sure about the prop, but pictures show what looks like a 3 blade stainless Quicksilver, stamped 21P.

I'm not even sure I will like the boat - to be clear the engine/drive are the big draw to this craft. I have been seeking a 23-26 foot single big-block, with the idea of eventually pulling the 7.4/310 or whatever it is in favor of a 502 Mag or bigger. Finding a foundational platform that does not need an engine swap is a huge draw. Asking $20K, so I see it as achieving the power I seek without doing the heavy lifting of a swap, at a lessor cost of entry - that of course, if it's a good boat. It does have Silent Choice and some dual cylinder trim tabs I can't identify from pics, so it's evident someone was dedicated to some performance in what might be a bit of a sleeper. As I understand it, current owner is #2, having purchased from owners of a marine shop that dialed it in as their family boat. I have a M-1 Pro Charger on my mind with some drive changes, if the handling of the boat invites 600+ h.p.

Any more thoughts on performance? As suggested by the scan, owner has not sought the top end in any meaningful way (good for me, right?).
Is there any way you can give me a call?As it's my understanding, you went to see the boat.
I'm about to have a lake trial and meet the gentleman here in Phoenix, Arizona at 1 PM.And it's been almost 3 Weeks trying to make arrangements to see this boat, but he's always busy.always out of town. If you can call me at 6024592832 I would greatly appreciate it. Just want to ask questions if you can help me out thanks.
Don't wanna throw money away
Old 07-17-2024, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zippinbyeu
But I did!

In a later post I asked if the scan data could vary by production year? You're saying if it's a 502 Mag MPI of any year, a scan will only show total time, no breakdown by rpm, etc? I spoke with the shop owner and he knows the boat, as it is in twice a year for service. If you are telling me that I'm seeing a fabricated scan report, this is a big collusion between a shop and customer. And for what purpose? So it has more hours than suggested in the report ... seems like a lot of devious effort for little potential upside.

Anyhow, I was just asking questions, and I appreciate answers. I wasn't sure your explanation about MEFI 3 scan data was absolute across the years. I'm not sure any further investigation is worthwhile, unless I get serious about the boat. No matter what, I've go some learning to do.
Do you remember what local shop?It was that this boat was taken to twice a year?
I really would love to give them a call before Go have a lake trial and waste my time.
thanks