502 Mag MPI  in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question >

502 Mag MPI in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question

Notices

502 Mag MPI in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question

Old 02-21-2023, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 Mag MPI in a 25 Outlaw Performance Question

I chose this forum to ask a question about a boat I'm looking at that is not a Baja, just because the brand is not represented on the site. But I believe the exact boat I'm looking at will have speeds comparable to a 25 Outlaw with the same powerplant (I'm vaguely familiar with the Outlaw - it just happened to be the boat that came to mind). Apologies if it's thought to be too much of a thread hijack. Here's the deal:

1999 Reinell 240L. It's a cuddy with two seats below deck and a v-berth, 2 pedestal seats in the cockpit with a bench across the back. Lower profile than an Outlaw, and likely lighter (online data that I do not trust says 3580 lbs., but I'm thinking more like 4200 or more). It's 24 feet with a 102" beam. Probably not really a "performance boat" until you follow the adage of "There's no replacement for displacement." But it looks pretty sporty.

When I was a kid in the 70's, Reinell was a popular, if not quality consumer brand boat in the Pacific Northwest. At one time Arenacraft ran the company. It disappeared for a while and changed hands more than once. In different "spurts" they have turned out a much-curtailed lineup. I have no idea what the quality is from the 90s or 2000s, but I'm going to have a look because of the drive system. It's a stock 502 Magnum MPI with <100 hours pushing a Bravo 1. 7.4 Volvos and Mercruisers were probably the most potent and somewhat common factory propulsion. This power is definitely a transplant.

Any guesses what sort of cruise speed and top speed this ship might be capable of, assuming it is appropriately propped? I'm thinking 40 mph at 3200, close to 70 at WOT. Known data from an Outlaw with the same power should be matchable or exceeded is my guess.

My first post on Offshoreonly, by the way. TIA.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Scan the engine to verify hours, my guess would be low to mid 60's depends on how its propped and performance of the engine

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-21-2023 at 12:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
liberator221 (02-21-2023), zippinbyeu (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Scan the engine to verify hours, my guess would be low to mid 60's depends on how its propped and performance of the engine

What prop are you running on the boat?
Old 02-22-2023, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not my boat I think thats the one the OP is looking to buy ?
Old 02-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Registered

not my boat I think thats the one the OP is looking to buy ?
That is the case. I tried to view it today, but our schedules are not lining up; it's going to be the weekend. Owner has a recent scan, showing 89 hours total with zero hours over 5000 rpm, 50% of hours <2000 seeming to be idle and no wake zone and the other half between 3001 and 4000, with just 2.2 hours between 4001 and 5000. If I move forward, there will be a pre purchase inspection, including a scan. Lake trial too.

Not sure about the prop, but pictures show what looks like a 3 blade stainless Quicksilver, stamped 21P.

I'm not even sure I will like the boat - to be clear the engine/drive are the big draw to this craft. I have been seeking a 23-26 foot single big-block, with the idea of eventually pulling the 7.4/310 or whatever it is in favor of a 502 Mag or bigger. Finding a foundational platform that does not need an engine swap is a huge draw. Asking $20K, so I see it as achieving the power I seek without doing the heavy lifting of a swap, at a lessor cost of entry - that of course, if it's a good boat. It does have Silent Choice and some dual cylinder trim tabs I can't identify from pics, so it's evident someone was dedicated to some performance in what might be a bit of a sleeper. As I understand it, current owner is #2, having purchased from owners of a marine shop that dialed it in as their family boat. I have a M-1 Pro Charger on my mind with some drive changes, if the handling of the boat invites 600+ h.p.

Any more thoughts on performance? As suggested by the scan, owner has not sought the top end in any meaningful way (good for me, right?).

Old 02-22-2023, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That 502 mag mpi should have a MEFI 3 computer and they only show total hours of run time not hours at different rpm's so something isnt making sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
articfriends (03-05-2023), Mannynieto2121 (07-17-2024)
Old 02-22-2023, 08:46 PM
Registered

That 502 mag mpi should have a MEFI 3 computer and they only show total hours of run time not hours at different rpm's so something isnt making sense.

I honestly don't know the serial number/production date, and I am very unfamiliar with computerized Mercs, although I've owned & built some carbureted big blocks. Can the extent of scannable data vary by year? I do not expect the model year to match that of the boat - it's probably more recent.

I have a screenshot of the scan, but I'm too new to the forum to post it (not allowed until I have 10 posts (URL posting not allowed). But indeed, it has the details you reference and more. If you feel like something's amiss, I will get to the bottom of it. There will be a pre purchase inspection including a MEFI scan, plus a lake trial.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:45 PM
Registered

Had a chance to inspect the boat yesterday. It is everything I described, more or less. Good but not excellent condition. It is bottom-painted and shows the signs of being seasonally left in the lake water; dried on algae and calcification on the drive and tabs. Has it's share of scuffs and scratches, but is what one would expect for a 24 y-o boat that has been enjoyed and maintained. The condition is not a show stopper, but fails to inspire. What turns me off is the shoe-horned engine installation and small fuel tank. 50 gallons to supply a 502, really? And the bench/compartment structure is such that you'd have to remove a bunch of stuff to reach anything aside from the oil filter, and there is zero space to add a Procharger, without a reconfiguration/elimination of the rear bench. I could see that if the boat were truly special and I was in love with it. But that's not the way it is.

At the end of the day, it's a decent V-hull sport boat with a low time 502 magnum MPI and Bravo 1 for probably well < than $20K after negotiations. Not necessarily a "pass," but I'll keep looking.

Thanks folks for your thoughts.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

did you scan the computer while you were there.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:32 PM
Registered

did you scan the computer while you were there.
No, I did not scan. There was a printout dated about one month ago, showing the data I posted higher up this page. Done at a local reputable shop. No reason to suspect it's not legit.

But your question is a perfect segue for me to ask; is there an affordable scan tool available for the "average guy" to scan these MEFI computers? Having relied on basic OBD2 scanners for cars for a long time, I'm about to spring for a much more capable bi-directional unit, semi-pro so to speak. It will pay for itself pretty quick, and I think the same would be true if I end up owning an EFI Merc and can get my hands on a scanner that does not cost many thousands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.