Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja 220 Sport new to me >

Baja 220 Sport new to me

Notices

Baja 220 Sport new to me

Old 05-26-2023, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Attacked the stringers yesterday, what a mess....

Fuel tank framed with plywood

Fuel tank pad

Board laying on foam

More rot

motor mount

Rotten motor mounts

Peeling off more glass

All the way to the front

had water trapped in the front section

front flooring

Stringers!

Glass thicknesses. Single layer on flooring. thicker on engine bay
My Plan is to probably use 2x8's for the stringers or laminate some exterior plywood together. I definitely want to add weep holes for all bulkheads to prevent the water trap issue. The fuel tank areas I'm going to look at redesigning because all they had was some plywood stapled together with a thicker glass layer on it. Also created at water trap between it and the main stringers. Some of the foam was water logged so I want to find a way to prevent that. I've read where some use foam pnuts in plastic bags. The old stringers were 7.5" tall at the motor mount, but cut down to 6" tall near the transom. I don't know if that was for some clearance issue or what, but the way they were cut really weakened the wood. Will look into that as well. Here is a profile of the old floor. There was a gap between the plywood and the hull and it was glassed to the sides with a single layer. I would think you would want the plywood to have some more support from the bottom of the hull?

profile of flooring
I'll do some research into that as well. Going to drill a couple holes in the transom where the stringers were attached to see whats behind the glass......
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!
Old 05-20-2024, 12:44 PM
Registered

Default Stringers glassed in

With the help of my daughter we attacked the Baja the other day! Got stringers glassed in and measured out and cut floor supports. Hope to get them in this week and start on the floor...

Final sand, vacuum, and acetone clean up.

Whew, for a couple of first timers, it wasn't that bad. Lots of advice from the forum and prep things as best you can. Layup is 10x better than what I cut out, I know that for sure.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default More floor supports - foam recommendations

Went after the floor supports the other day and letting that cure while waiting for more supplies to come in. Bedded them in last week and tabbed them in Tuesday.

stringers glassed in

bedded supports

After we finish glassing the supports in we'll start cutting plywood for the floor and mock up everything for the motor mounts, fuel tanks, back seat, and ski locker. Once the motor and fuel tanks are mocked up, we'll resin the floor pieces and figure out what we will do for the foam under the floor.

The stuff I took out was the 2 part pour in and it was water logged and weighed as much as water. What are the alternatives to the 2 part pour in? Does it hold water right from the start or does it break down over time and let the water soak in? I've read where some have vacuum sealed Styrofoam and filled the cavities with that.

Any suggestions on the foam will be welcomed.

The old floor was covered in carpet so I need to make that decision coming up as well. I got some gelcoat if I want to try my hand at putting that down on the new floor.

Got the heads cleaned up for the 350 motor and got new gasket set ordered. Might look at a mild marine cam to put in while I'm at it.

Front seats have been done and she's waiting on me to get the back seat designed.

More to come....
Old 06-14-2024, 05:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 652 Likes on 306 Posts

Great progress and it is looking really good! I wouldn't mess with foam, personally. All it does is trap water...and then the problems start. I may be entirely off base here, but I believe its purpose was to fulfill a Coast Guard requirement for boats to remain "floating" even if filled with water, that manufacturers had to comply with.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:48 AM
Registered

Daughter has been a great help! We both have the same, "Lets just get it over with!" attitude.
That's kind of my view on the foam as well, that water logged crap I took out hurt more than it helped in my limited opinion. If there was something that wouldn't trap water it would be different. I like the though of just glassing them closed, theoretically, they should remain sealed. Only install drain holes at the back of the ski locker.
Still thinking about the front "cuddy" as well, a younger man might have different intentions, but its a pita to crawl up there to grab a vest. Hard enough getting up there to glass in the stringers and supports. We'll see what happens when I get the floor in and the bulkhead at the drivers side.
All thoughts on foam / flotation / ???? are welcomed!
H
Old 06-14-2024, 01:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 652 Likes on 306 Posts

https://waterprooftips.com/is-expand...am-waterproof/

Good article on truly what is and isn't waterproof expanding foam.

Old 06-20-2024, 03:49 PM
Registered

Default FLoor and foam

THanks for the info, will start looking into that. Got first piece of flooring cut today, not much time to go after it. Hopefully get 3 of the 5 pcs finished tomorrow and test fit so we can coat with resin and get them laid in place, pending our foam decision.
H
Old 07-20-2024, 07:55 PM
Registered

Got the 4th pc of floor cut but need to make a few mods before I put anythng down. Haven't had much time on the Baja as the Webbcraft motor rebuilds have taken priority. Also picked up a scrap Wreidt Stinger with SBC and early alpha 1 outdrive... Did get the motor fired up on it!
The following users liked this post:
swellcraftman (07-20-2024)