Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
33 Outlaw Outboard conversion with Bracket! >

33 Outlaw Outboard conversion with Bracket!

Notices

33 Outlaw Outboard conversion with Bracket!

Old 06-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

maybe i missed it, but why not simply bolt the jack plates directly to transom, instead of adding the extension then bolt jack plates on it?

so you can have more trim effect / less drag / faster speed?
Old 06-04-2024, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Set back puts drives in cleaner water and more leverage.
I only put the jack plates on b/c no one had done this before to a 33ol, so I needed to be able to test different drive heights vs rpm, slip and performance, etc.
either that or I would have had to remove motors and move manually.. so I added manual jackplates to set it up for overall performance and leave it be!

Not really looking for all out speed, but wanted overall performance with ease of adjustability while testing this never done before setup to a baja.
I also knew that in 02, they raised the x dimension and gained 4-5mph with same HP, so i knew raising the drives woudl help, but again, didnt know the secret recipe.

In addition, these motors are 700lbs each and a lot of torque.. and the bracket gives a lot more support and I still wanted a platform off the back of the boat.

Originally Posted by jeff32
maybe i missed it, but why not simply bolt the jack plates directly to transom, instead of adding the extension then bolt jack plates on it?

so you can have more trim effect / less drag / faster speed?
The following users liked this post:
jeff32 (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

Wow!

Very impressive.

Id say, for first time out, you hit it out of the park!

Well done sir!

Anxious to hear how testing goes.

Id send you some wheels to try but none of my junk would work on those motors 🤓
Old 06-05-2024, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Great work here and efficient as well.

I start getting excited when motors start going on/in, but then its usually another year before we see any water tests. Amazing how quickly you were able to get all this sorted.
nailit (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Well.. after finding a faulty kill switch module. I finally got her in the water!!!

Used the props that came with motors. 23.5p rev 4 XP’s. Apparently these are different than the regular Rev 4s that I was running before. Longer barrel that provide more stern lift and less cup for less bow lift. Boat ran really flat and trim wouldnt bring the bow up. RPMs were around 61-6200, so im close but may need to try some 23p Rev 4s. I have a set of 25p Rev 4s that worked great with the sterndrives, so I may try those just to see if I change the attitude.

Water pressure was good and made a top speed run of…….drum roll please…dum dum dum

77 MPH!! Thats with full fuel (~180 gallons) and 2 guys in boat! Previously only ran best of 68mph light on fuel and just me.

Tried to lift the jack plate, but I was getting a water in fuel alarm. Figured out later, I dont have onboard filters and no sensors.. so bad wire or something. Ordered new fuel filter/water separators with sensors today. Hopefully plugging them in will fix the alarm.

Then I need to take it back out and run it at the 1/2” higher and then keep going to see how slip and handling react!!!

Thinking I can get closer to 80, especially if 1/2 fuel or less and getting Rev 4 props to get bow up.
I have a few sets.
23.5p Rev4 XP too much stern lift and made for stepped hulls
25p Rev 4 Ran great before but will a lil tall for the outboards.
25p Mirages labbed by Bblades. Not a fan of 3 blades, although ran 69 1x!
Probably need 23P Rev 4’s.. Sooo.. I’ll try the 25p Rev 4s to see if I can get the bow up and go from there. If that works.. I’ll just need to swap or get some 23p.

Boat was really stable but rode really flat, but felt pretty good!!

How often do you run with a full tank?
Old 06-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

on my side i would say quite often !
start the week end full, end often between 1/4 or 1/3
don't feel like going much lower than that to suck whatever can be at the bottom of tank
don't feel like starting 1/2 either and waste time fueling twice per week end... so...
Twin O/B Sonic (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

I do exact same.

Originally Posted by jeff32
on my side i would say quite often !
start the week end full, end often between 1/4 or 1/3
don't feel like going much lower than that to suck whatever can be at the bottom of tank
don't feel like starting 1/2 either and waste time fueling twice per week end... so...
Old 06-05-2024, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
How often do you run with a full tank?
Usually we are running Around the house. Long run in a weekend would be 40 miles round trip, so we normally start weekend just over a 1/2 tank and that will last use the weekend. If we plan on running out of town, maybe 1x a month at best.. we may fill up.. other than that, we are just running around the lake and floating/drinking
Old 06-06-2024, 05:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts

I didn’t fill mine up very often, but when I did I remember it was a pig.

If you’re running it at 1/2 tank, you may be ok prop wise
Old 06-06-2024, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

I almost always start with a full tank, since I have two boats when I take the fountain now its almost always a 80-150 mile run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.