Thinking of buying a 272. >

Thinking of buying a 272.

Notices

Thinking of buying a 272.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 272.

So I have the 31 scarab right now which is really a 33. Its a great boat but we find we dont sleep overnight in it at all anymore. The Scarab is a pretty big boat to have to muscle around at the docks in a wind. My first mate is a delicate little flower of a woman and were not 35 yrs old anymore. Thinking of going to a smaller single engine boat. We want something where you could still overnight in a pinch but really want something with a cabin big enough that you can go in and change clothes to go out for dinner after being on the lake all day. The 272 comes up as a very possible. Good looking boat, has a windshield. There are 3 or 4 of them for sale within 100 mi of me. Id want a hopped up one maybe maybe hit 75, cruise 60. What do you have to do to make a 272 hit that? Would a Procharged 454 or 502 MPI get you there?? Thanks
Old 06-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I had a 272 with a 502 mag mpi it would run 57 58......good riding boat, you gonna need some big power to get that hull in the mid 70's, the cabin is ok size put not a lot of head room, cockpit is good size

The following users liked this post:
pullmytrigger (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve had mine about ten years now. Not a big cabin but I do overnight once in awhile, decent sized cockpit and not terrible for doing maintenance in the engine compartment. Stock 502 is probably 61-63 spend a little money with Brett at bblades on a prop and you’ll get to 67-68 at best and enjoy it. It will take some money/power to get in the mid 70’s.

pullmytrigger (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 09:46 PM
Registered

Was there any hull changes over the years excluding the later Fountain influence?
Old 06-12-2024, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if the hull had any changes over the years or not, my guess would be minimal if any. 01 or 02 was when it changed to a 275 but that was probably just a deck and interior change
Old 06-13-2024, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 272 islander.
496ho with a 23p prop.
with us 4 (2 adults 2 smaller kids) I got 64mph best.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The 272 would check most of the boxes that you are looking for, it's just hard to get it to go fast.

Another option would be a Velocity 280 which has a windshield and a decent cabin.

A couple of other options would be a 288 Sunsation, or a 280 Powerquest.

All of the above should be faster than the 272.
The following 2 users liked this post by Revd Up:
Padraig (06-22-2024), pullmytrigger (06-16-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 09:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 840 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
So I have the 31 scarab right now which is really a 33. Its a great boat but we find we dont sleep overnight in it at all anymore. The Scarab is a pretty big boat to have to muscle around at the docks in a wind. My first mate is a delicate little flower of a woman and were not 35 yrs old anymore. Thinking of going to a smaller single engine boat. We want something where you could still overnight in a pinch but really want something with a cabin big enough that you can go in and change clothes to go out for dinner after being on the lake all day. The 272 comes up as a very possible. Good looking boat, has a windshield. There are 3 or 4 of them for sale within 100 mi of me. Id want a hopped up one maybe maybe hit 75, cruise 60. What do you have to do to make a 272 hit that? Would a Procharged 454 or 502 MPI get you there?? Thanks
Originally Posted by Revd Up
The 272 would check most of the boxes that you are looking for, it's just hard to get it to go fast.

Another option would be a Velocity 280 which has a windshield and a decent cabin.

A couple of other options would be a 288 Sunsation, or a 280 Powerquest.

All of the above should be faster than the 272.
PullMyTrigger,

We have a PQ280 with a 496HO/Stage2WhippleTune/M1ProCharger. We run a solid 75-77, just with wife and I, half tank of fuel. I've seen 78 with absolutely perfect conditions.

In our hunt for what ended with the PQ, we took sea trials in a couple Bajas, one being a 272. Looking back, there is no comparison. The Baja had a much smaller cockpit and cabin, despite what we felt was a very tall bow (the wife couldn't hardly see over it on plane. It had a stock 454, and I'm not sure it would break 60. There was a lot to not like about the boat that was specific to THAT boat (care and maintenance), but there were also design aspects that we really didn't like, and that was coming from a perspective of (at the time) owners of a Rinker 236SC.

I'm not knocking Baja, and I can't speak for the other MFRs mentioned, but, if you can find one with at least the 496HO, you won't be disappointed with the PQ. It will run mid-60s pretty easily, and, with a little extra power, you're running mid-70s. The wife and I spend at least one night a year on it. It CAN be made to work for two people for an overnighter.

I hear good things about the Velocity. We looked at a 26' Sunsation with a Stage 2 Whipple tuned 496HO that would supposedly run 75 or so, but we never got to take a sea trial, as it sold out from under us. It was a very nice boat, though, even though it had less cockpit space than our Rinker.

Thanks. Brad.
pullmytrigger (06-16-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 306 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
So I have the 31 scarab right now which is really a 33. Its a great boat but we find we dont sleep overnight in it at all anymore. The Scarab is a pretty big boat to have to muscle around at the docks in a wind. My first mate is a delicate little flower of a woman and were not 35 yrs old anymore. Thinking of going to a smaller single engine boat. We want something where you could still overnight in a pinch but really want something with a cabin big enough that you can go in and change clothes to go out for dinner after being on the lake all day.
I'm with you Brother!
pullmytrigger (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
PullMyTrigger,

We have a PQ280 with a 496HO/Stage2WhippleTune/M1ProCharger. We run a solid 75-77, just with wife and I, half tank of fuel. I've seen 78 with absolutely perfect conditions.

In our hunt for what ended with the PQ, we took sea trials in a couple Bajas, one being a 272. Looking back, there is no comparison. The Baja had a much smaller cockpit and cabin, despite what we felt was a very tall bow (the wife couldn't hardly see over it on plane. It had a stock 454, and I'm not sure it would break 60. There was a lot to not like about the boat that was specific to THAT boat (care and maintenance), but there were also design aspects that we really didn't like, and that was coming from a perspective of (at the time) owners of a Rinker 236SC.

I'm not knocking Baja, and I can't speak for the other MFRs mentioned, but, if you can find one with at least the 496HO, you won't be disappointed with the PQ. It will run mid-60s pretty easily, and, with a little extra power, you're running mid-70s. The wife and I spend at least one night a year on it. It CAN be made to work for two people for an overnighter.

I hear good things about the Velocity. We looked at a 26' Sunsation with a Stage 2 Whipple tuned 496HO that would supposedly run 75 or so, but we never got to take a sea trial, as it sold out from under us. It was a very nice boat, though, even though it had less cockpit space than our Rinker.

Thanks. Brad.
Ive always liked PQs but never thought of them as particularily fast. Those are good numbers. There's one 28 PQ around me for sale maybe I'll go have a look. Thanks for the input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.