Baja Outlaw 23 top speed >

Baja Outlaw 23 top speed

Notices

Baja Outlaw 23 top speed

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Outlaw 23 top speed

I picked up a new to me 2005 Outlaw 23 SST and have had it out a few times this year. I’m curious to what others are seeing for top speeds and rpm’s at WOT. My boat has the 6.2l with a 23p mirage prop. I’m getting 48mph at 4550 rpm (throttle all the way ahead) with full tank of fuel, my wife and I, and in light chop. I have played with the trim and tabs and was able to dial it in and to get the results listed above. The engine has had a new distributer cap, plugs, wires, and fuel tank check valve installed prior to this boating season. The engine runs great (no bog, missing, or backfiring). Is this setup about right or am I low on rpm’s and speed?
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 646 Likes on 300 Posts

Something is WAY off...that calculates out to 27% prop slip...two to three times what you SHOULD have. Are you getting it trimmed up/out well?
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, it’s a 21p not a 23p. I just went and double checked. Yes, I’ve tried many different trim settings and that’s the best I can do. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 646 Likes on 300 Posts

That is still 20.4 slip ratio...way too high still.
What outdrive, and what ratio on the outdrive?

The older 23' - 24' Outlaws, which I am more familiar with having had friends with them, have a 24 degree deadrise and are about a 4,000 pound hull...24' long with 96" beam. My 252 Islander is 25'6" long, 100" beam, and 4400 pounds dry by comparison. I run a 4 blade Revolution 4 prop, 21" pitch, can spin it to 4500 - 4600, and hit 53 - 54 mph.

The 6.2 comes in 300 hp and 350 hp versions...which is yours? Both are rated to spin 5400 rpm...it's a pretty cool engine! You may simply be over-propped. IF you can spin a 19" @ 5400, you'll be tickling 60 mph.

I'd check everything including a spun prop hub.