Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by garshev
Add another engine!!!!
Man - you guys are brutal
Old 12-29-2002, 11:48 PM
jcboats

Default more hp

chris:

i am in the middle of researching super chargers....
i am leaning more toward whipple. i have talked to a few people in the off shore world that have loads of experience with both and they are pointing me to whipple...

i still might just end up ading a flame arrestor,exhaust, fuel preasure reg. and doing some prop work. i have talked to darin at houstom propeller and he seems to think i can get 2-3 mph out of my present 21p mirage.

jcboats

Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Big E

jcboats - just for your info my 29 Outlaw had a procharger on it now it does not. I am the third owner. The owner that had the boat before I did bought it used from GSC marine. At that time it had a procharger on it. The guy I bought the boat off of had GSC take the procharger off of it because the boat ran like crap. After they took it off the engine still ran like crap. GSC on good faith warranty work dropped a new stock 502 mag in the boat. Now the boat runs fine. Just some info. A reputable mechanic at LOTO said prochargers are okay but they do require a lot of engine maintenance and they have to be installed correctly. I am happy with my stock 502 mag, I tell myself is it really worth the risk of not being able to boat after working all week because I am trying to gain 7 to 10 mph and my procharger or whipple charger has screwed up my stock 502. I'm sure I will get a lot of disagreement on this but, this is just my opinion. I like to boat and do minor maintenance on engines, but I don't like to do it every weekend especially after working all week.

Old 12-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bige,

I agree with you 100%. Heck, the reason you bought a boat with only one engine was to reduce your maint headaches. I can't think of a quicker way to increase your maint headaches that to install an SC.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:40 PM
jcboats

Talking outlaws

bige,29 outlaw

these are the exact reasons i went with a single engine larger boat. i have had 3 twin screw boats (fountain and 2 searays) there is a lot more maintanance. i live in CA. and last summer the gas prices were $2.30 plus per gallon on he water...($1.90 on land) plus i can do almost all the work myself, there is so much room in the engine room with one motor!!!

jcboats

Old 01-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Big E

jcboats - I think the highest I paid at LOTO this summer was $1.95/gallon on the water, $2.30/gal on water is unbelievable!! That would take a lot of fun out of boating. I bought my 29 in late Oct. and I have filled it up once before I put it away for the winter, I was only able to take it out 2 times for a total of about 2 hours running time. I went from a 90 gal tank on a 252 Islander to the 125 gallon tank on the Outlaw. How long can you go between fill ups on the 29? Do you have the 502mag? What year is yours? I thought I was the only black sheep on this page with a single 29. Glad to see that there is someone else that does not think I am so stupid. Thanks - Eric

Old 01-01-2003, 08:59 PM
jcboats

Default outlaw

bige:

i usally keep around 30-50 gallons in the tank, i try to keep the weight low so i can get max speed..

i also have the 502 mpi mag motor, it is a 97' model.

i put a simrick drive shower on last summer and made a big
difference.. i highly recomend them, this is my third shower from simrick.

i have a 21p prop it turns @ 4900 rpm and i see 57 on gps

i am going to have the prop worked on (i think)

what prop are your running and what speeds are you seeing?

have you done any mods to yours??

it is good to talk to others with the same boat!!

jc

Old 01-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Big E

JC - Thats what I thought too, I will probably only keep about 90 gallons in the tank and I will call that full, I filled it up before I put it away because my buddy told me that its not that good to winterize a boat on about 1/2 tank or less. I always filled my old 252 Islander up though. I'm not real sure what pitch prop I am running, how do you check that? As far as speed the original owner told me that the boat will go in the high 50's or so. The short time I ran the boat, I did not bury the throttle, but I did have the throttle a little past half way and I was running 53 on the GPS, and 50 on speedo. I usually only ran WOT for about 30 to 45 seconds every 20 hours on my old boat - someone told me that WOT is good for a boat every 20 hours). I really don't like to run an engine hard because I like them to last.

You said you have a simrick drive shower on your boat and said it made a big difference, I am assuming only in the chalky white residue that may develop on the stern drive. I have a drive shower also but mine is a pretty simple one. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it consists of a simple flexible stainless steel hose that goes up to the top of the drive, from there it connects to a simple looking mount that attaches to the cap of the stern drive. I think it is an older one, it sure does do a good job though, my drive looks like it is new. The previous owner told me that its been on the boat since day one. My boat is a 1999.

As far as drive showers, there are a couple of people on my dock that have the type that runs up to a stainless steel plate that fits on top of the stern drive. I really like the looks of those a lot better than the current one I have and I was thinking about replacing mine. Is that a simrick? Is that the type you have? If it is not, what are your thoughts on those? Sorry for rambling on so long. Also let me know how you determine the pitch of your prop. I still have a lot to learn about this boat, its a shame that I have to wait 3 more months until the weather breaks to where I can start the boat up again. You are lucky you live in sunny Cal.. Stay in touch. Eric

Old 01-01-2003, 10:14 PM
jcboats

bige:

i have never actualy winterized any of my boats. i always drain the block and the mainfolds. so far this year we have only seen mid 30's and it only is that cold for a couple of hours early in the a.m.

the simrick drive showers seem to be one of the best on the market. i have talked to the owner many times over the last couple of years. his showers are a ss tube that bolts to one of the top cap bolts on the drive and runs down both sides of the drive and goes right thru the cavitation plate (you need to drill 2 holes on the plate, it is a good looking piece of hardware) they claim that it lowers the temp 50 degs.

to find the pitch or your prop, look at center (hub) of the prop, there will be a series of no's and you find a few no's that stand alone "21p" or 23p" this is your pitch. let me know what you are running.

as far as your throtle, i notice that i get mine up to approx. 3/4 wide open and the rest of the travel gets me nothing, it's like i am already wide open and still have more travel on the lever.

jc

Quick Reply: Baja Outlaws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.