Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Lake Norman or Cumberland? >

Lake Norman or Cumberland?

Notices

Lake Norman or Cumberland?

Old 01-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Ric232

Default Lake Norman or Cumberland?

I live in Orlando but I'm planning a family boating trip in the Spring. I will be bringing my wife, 19 month-old daugher and my 232. My parents will be bringing their Sea Ray 225 Weekender. Lake Norman is obviously closer (9 hours vs 14), but I've heard great things about Cumberland. It also sounds as if there isn't enough to do around Norman to warrant a one-week vacation there.

I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Allan4

Not sure about Norman, but Cumberland would be the "lay back and do some r+r" type place. Lots of coves, very private, really nice water, 76 Falls (weekend party spot) but also several marinas and food places. Not much (if anything) to do off the water. Most people rent houseboats at Cumberland and never get off them for a week unless they go swimming. Have fun Cumberland has a pretty good HIgh perf scene on weekends.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:27 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ric,

I have never been to Cumberland, but can answer some of your questions about Lake Norman. That is where we do most of our boating.

As for water, Norman is GREAT. It is about 33 miles long, 1.5 miles at the very widest part. There are shoals, but they are clearly marked. You are usually boating in 30 to 40 foot of water all the time. The lake covers five counties and I don't think you could learn your way around it in just a week.

All of the ramps (approx 8) are all brand new and as good as they come. There are five resturants, two of which are very popular and have outside bars and live entertainment on the weekends. However there is limited parking for boats, you have to get there early. There is one floating bar which is one of our favorite hangouts, "B.J. Ducks". It is at queens landing which as two very large dinner boats for cruises and lake tours. They also have a miniture golf and bumper boats for the kids. It is a cool place. This is where we launch our boat, just 5 miles off of I-77 at exit 36, Hwy 150.

There is a VERY nice Yacht club on the lake but it is members only.

Duke Power also has a state park on the lake and the Energy Explorium which is a really cool place. You see how the lake was built, and how the Nuke Plant operates. The dock for this by water is right by the damn. There is alao another very nice park on the lake.

The down side is there are no hotels period. You will need to rent a house on the lake for the week. There are several that can be rented on a weekly basis and have nice docks. You can usually expect to spend around $1500 to $2000 per week.

The lake is really developed, about 80% is homes and there are also a lot of condo's now. There is also a very nice oyster bar on the lake now, but they don't have any docks. You have to anchor and swim in.

The area is very developed. Exits 25, 28, 30, 33, 36 and 42 off of I-77 will all take you to the lake. Exits #25 and #28 have every type of resturant and hotel you could ask for. Exit #36 has the Nascar Museum and several shops to visit, a super walmart and a very nice movie theater, Ameri-Star 14. This developement is all coming out of Charlotte. It has all happened in the last 7-10 years and everything is brand new in these areas.

Plus you could take the kids down to Carowinds in Charlotte for a day, as nice as any Six Flags.

If you have any questions PM me, I will me happy to help in any way I can.

Mark
Old 01-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 67 Posts

Ric232,
I responded to this in the general forum but I thought I might add a little. I have been going to Cumberland twice a year for several years now with my Labor Day trip lasting 10 days. I highly recomend Grider Hill Dock. They have nice rooms and cabins and the service is hard to beat. The dock is in the southwest corner of the lake near 76 Falls. You might just be surprised at the horsepower on the dock.