Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Question for Blue Water Baja's >

Question for Blue Water Baja's

Notices

Question for Blue Water Baja's

Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Luxy60

Default Question for Blue Water Baja's

My boating has been exclusively on a local freah water lake and although the water can get very nasty, and big, at times I'm curious how your Baja's have held up (wear & tear) over time in the ocean? Since we live about a mile from the ocean, I'm contemplating moving the 25 Outlaw to a local marina and playing in the salt water for a change. How well do the Outlaws manage the abuse of regular outings in the ocean? 2-3 foot seas are normal and 4 - 6 not uncommon once outside the habor.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can break anything. It all depends on how hard you run it and how hard you treat it.

If used within reason, you will really enjoy it and it will serve you well.

I was on the FPC Miami to Keywest Poker Run November a year ago. Hurricane Michelle decided to show up. We were way over our heads in the Baja 272 we had at the time and had to turn back.

A very good friend that went down also in his 38 Fountain w/575's made in all the way down with a hand full of other larger boats and almost wished he hadn't. The ride back was brutal. He had all the wiring harness in the engine compartment to fall down, and had the stereo head unit to fall out.

The worst however was a 388 Hustler on the same run. He had a really nasty crack to show up across the top deck in front of the cockpit.

Boats will break. Use good judgement and you will really enjoy it.

The 25 Outlaw has proven itself to be a great boat.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Luxy60

Doc,
Interesting stories. I realize any boat can break depending on how you run it and in what conditions. My boat has held up very well over the past three seasons I've owned it. I do tend to baby it though and if I run it hard it's not very often.

I wanted to get the experiences/ feedback of some of the other members who run their boats predominently in the ocean and for a longer season than us Northerners. Typical ocean conditions are gonna abuse a boat much more then the lake conditions I run in. It may show up weaknesses in the boats construction/ rigging faster... sort of an accelerated life test.

This would be good information to have if/ when I start running in the open water, things to watch for, maintenance to stay on top of, that sort of thing. (besides the normal salt water stuff.) I haven't had much trouble with shakes, rattles, loose rigging, cracks, etc.. but what have others owners experiences been??

Luxy

Old 03-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Luxy,

I understand exactly what you are saying.

Cigarette seems to be the king of offshore. That is why you don't see televisions, microwaves, generators, etc in them. I was talking to a guy at the Cig factory a year ago and he said all that stuff is nice, but it will all fall out if you run a boat like the cigarette is designed to be run offshore.

MARK
Old 03-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do most of my boating In the Northeast oceans. Mainly out of the Boston area. One of my old boats, a 272, spent more than 90% of its time in the ocean. While sometimes the waves can get much larger than the lake they usually are not as confused as the lakes. It makes dealing with them somewhat more easy. When they constantly come from one way....even if they are big....IMO they are more easily handled.
As far as how well your Baja will hold up.......i dont think you will have any problems. From one of your posts you say that you have a tendancy to baby the boat anyway so i think you would be fine.
I may have been hard on my boat at times but as long as you take care of the obvious things then the boat should be fine. (Such things like....making sure doors and hatches are secure, Battery trays secured, Items stowed so they dont become flying projectiles and the ect.)
And even when you cannot help but be out in some crappy situations i think your boat will hold up great. Ive been caught out acouple of times.....once crossing from boston to P-town and another time when i was on my way to the Vinyard. Both times the water was insane and the Baja just kept on motoring! As well as when you chose to put yourself in crappy water, I went to the NYC poker run a few years back and the Hudson turned into something similar to a washing machine and the boat came thur with out a problem. There was 192 boats in that Poker run and it was wild.
I say go for it........that is the main reason why i do so much boating in the ocean. My house is 1 mile away from my dock! You will use the boat so much more! Im not knocking the lake but the travel time got to me!

Have fun!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

Talking

You will be fine. Your boat can handle alot more than you think. We have been racing a 272 in APBA offshore for the past 3 years and have no major problems, and yes we do run it hard.

Warren
High Priority Offshore
Old 03-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by High Priority
You will be fine. Your boat can handle alot more than you think. We have been racing a 272 in APBA offshore for the past 3 years and have no major problems, and yes we do run it hard.

Warren
High Priority Offshore
Hey Warren,

I met you and the wife in Washington, NC back in 2001. Still running the same 272 in the "P" class?

Mark
Old 03-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Registered

Talking

Hello Mark; Yes we are still running the same boat, and we have been running good the last couple of years, and are looking for a good 2003.

Warren
High Priority Offshore