Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
101 basics on using tabs? >

101 basics on using tabs?

Notices

101 basics on using tabs?

Old 06-26-2003, 07:54 PM
esobek

Default 101 basics on using tabs?

Being new to the game, i've already heard a few techniques how to use the tab controls or when to use them. I know its alot of feel but what are the basics to these controls, starting from take off to crusing speed?
Thanks.

Old 06-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't claim to be an expert here, but one of the nice thing about a true deep vee like Baja is you really don't need to mess with the tabs much.

On the 272 I had and the 36 Outlaw, unless I had several extra people on board I do not use the tabs to come on plane. I use them mainly for attitude of the boat.

I have checked the tabs and marked on my indicators where they are level with the bottom of the hull and find that in rough conditions it will help to keep them there for a little better ride.

To me, less tabs is better.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm like Dock (no help at all).

I've never even used my tabs (K-Planes). I don't even know if they work. Driving an Outlaw is such a no-brainer.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple rules of thumb.

You almost never want to use tabs in calm water unless you have an uneven load you would like to balance. Using tabs scrubs off speed and is generally going to increase fule usage. It also helps to stay on plane at slower speeds if that's desired.

In mild chop, setting them paralell to the boat's bottom is usually sufficient to smooth out the ride a little. You will notice that the nose will tend wander less and you'll be attacking on-coming waves rather than nosing up on them and bouncing around.

In heavier seas, a little more tab(past paralall) will help in settling the boat down.

Be careful to avoid too much tab down because the boat may have a tendancy to stuff the nose.

Differential tab usage(one more than the other) is also very helpful when quartering seas or in a crosswind. For instance, when quartering waves are hitting you from port, I like to use a little more tab on the port side...It'll help you from diving towards the port-side on the backs of those waves. The boat will stay more level.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daze gave a great tutorial.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason I use them is to balance out the boat. And when I do use them I only tab them for a second and the boat levels out for me.
We did have to have the switches turned around so when you tab up they go up and when you tab down they go down.
They were back wards to Ron and I so Gordo switched them for us.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

I could not survive without them in the rough chop and my 27. They do require a developed feel.

I test drove a boat that had the switches the opposite way mine are and it confused the heck out of me. They are something that must become instinct, not something you think about before you do it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

I totally agree with you on that!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

there are also plenty of tricks on how to get them level without indicators, which I dont have. But, I have heard that the indicators are not too believable so Im not too unhappy without them.