Bolster repair, 29 outlaw >

Bolster repair, 29 outlaw

Notices

Bolster repair, 29 outlaw

Old 07-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Bolster repair, 29 outlaw

I have a friend with a 29 outlaw. the bolts holding the bolster to the cockpit sole has loosened and will not tighten back up. I have not seen it but it sounds as if these are just large screws and stripped out when a rather large fella was riding with him. If I remember correctly....someone on OSO had the same problem and came up with a fix. What did you do and how well did it work????

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had, well still have, this same problem and asked for opinions on the board. The best solution is to get access below the floor and attach the seat with a bolt and nut. So far, that is more involved than I am prepared to tackle.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill, it does not sound like a fun job. What do these screws go into fiberglass, wood stringers or what? It sounds like a design flaw. Are they just stainless lag screws?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what year his 29 is but I have a 2001 29 Outlaw. The bolsters in a 2001 are thru bolted with backing plates. Perhaps with older ones thru bolting may not have been used.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Registered

mine is a 1999 272 islander, they are stainless lag screws into a stringer at the forward end, the aft leg is thru bolted into the floor only, good attachment hardware but poor support structure.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:28 PM
Registered

Not sure what year his 29 is. I'll find out tomorrow and try to get a look at the bolster and hardware.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Allan4

WUUHAHAHAHAAH.....WUWUWUWHHHAHAHAAHAAHAH

Okay.........I'm just kidding.....a bunch of us have had this problem. Tank just bought some "togglers" from West Marine. He may have the part numbers. I ordered them, but cannot find the part number or the thread we had on it here in Baja land. SO far they have worked really well for me in my 24 Outlaw.

That is my suggestion. If these fail I will either figure a way to put in a backing plate....or just sink the boat

If anyone from Baja reads this thread....PLEASE fix this problem at the factory during installation. It is a common problem among Outlaw owners. Perhaps this has been addressed in hte newre boats, mine is a 98.

Thanks....good luck

Old 07-01-2003, 09:43 PM
MAKDADDY

I thought DOCK HOLIDAY had a remedy for this..

DOC you out there?

Old 07-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Registered

allan, are you talking about toggle bolts typically used for drywall applications, that have been "marinized" and sold thru west marine for upwards of 10 times the cost as found at home depot???

I thought about that but figured I would be chased off of the board for that idea!!! Let us know more about that.

I am not sure if my bolt goes thru a stringer or possibly plywood floor. I do know that there is wood beneath the fiberglass but I cant even get the seat completely out to investigate thoroughly.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:32 PM
Allan4

Yup....I paid about 14,000 times what they are worth....but if they work (so far so good) then they are worth it. I looked around for these things before I ordered from West Marine, but could not find any. I even went to a fastener place that has an entire warehouse, they had nothing.

Anywho......they are not stainless. Under your floor by the bolsters is either open space or foam, depending on where you drill. You should have gas tank clearance, BUT DOUBLE CHECK!!

I would recomend them as opposed to ripping the floor out.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Bolster repair, 29 outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.