Anybody have problems with the 342? >

Anybody have problems with the 342?

Notices

Old 07-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

I currently have a 2001 302 w/454 mpi's and the hull is listing to the left. I have had some other minor problems with the boat that baja has been a little slow to correct. I want to trade it in before anything else goes wrong. I also want a bigger and faster boat. I am thinking of getting a 342 w/ 575's but I am not doing anything untill I know the 342 (namely the hull) is problem free.

Any info would be great.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironmanwb,

I currently own a 2001 342 Boss w/qual bolsters. I have no problems with the hull at all(other issues though). It handles very well. You can push it into a hard turn at around 40mph and it grips the water. It does get figure 8's. I am running the 496 HO mag's which push the boat right around 70mph. The 342 and the 33 outlaw actually share the same hull with a few tweeks on the 342. Oh yeah, it will be for sale soon. Looking to go bigger.

Tappedout
Old 07-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered

What are the other problems? Anything major? I lover Baja but after the problems I have had and the poor service from both my dealer and Baja I am considering other boats.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the 342. It's a hell of a boat. She rides and handles great and I think the interior has a great layout. I haven't heard of any problems particular to that model.

It's a shame how certain dealers can single-handedly give a certain product a bad name.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #1251
Charter Member

I love my 342. The ride and speed are good. Plenty of room. Have twin 502 mpi's. The only thing I wish it had was a generator. Did have some headliner issues but factory guy's fixed it this winter. So far so good.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
29Fever

Baja342,

I think the headliner issue is a "Baja wide" thing. Most headliners that haven't fallen look like they're about to.

ironmanwd,

I really like the lines and the ammenities of the 342. I too would like to make the same jump up. Be more specific about the other minor problems you've had.

Last edited by 29Fever; 07-10-2003 at 02:14 PM.

Old 07-10-2003, 03:46 PM
outlawntexas

I bought my 2000 342 Boss this past March. I've already put 35 hours on her and other than a spun coupler (2nd time out), she runs great. I will tell you the genset is the only way to go in this type/size boat. I can run the refrigerator AND ice maker all day long as well as A/C and charge the batteries to boot!

Bruce...

Old 07-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Charter Member #1251
Charter Member

OH sure Bruce just rub it in!!!! Just joking. Where did they mount the gen? Do you have to have the U shape rear bench for it?

Thanks
Frank
Old 07-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Registered

you need to have good dealer service, if your local Baja service dept sucks, find another line of boat that does give good service, you will get tired of "no problem found" are just repeated problems that are not fixed right the first time, I would talk to the service manager and the General manager about this, if they can handle anything you throw at them then the 342 is a great boat
Old 07-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Registered

29 Fever,

I had a number of problems with my 302. Most of them have been solved but it was a hassel because of the poor service. Here are a few of the minor problems or larger problems.

Trim tab indicators never read correctly

Drive trim indicators were off, it always read that the port drive was rising faster than the starbord even when the master trim switch was used. The drives were actually trimming in unison but the indicators said they weren't.

Some of the instrument lights to the dash shorted out due to loose wires.

The engines used to cut out due to loose bolts on the wires to the starter.

Windshield was comming loose. This is due in large part to the listing of the hull. The boat rides on the starboard side and pounds really hard sometimes, even in light chop.

Other screws were coming loose all over the boat also do to the listing.

One of the speakers was blown from day 1 from the factory.

The helm has needed repalced from day 1 also. I has an internal leak and the whole wheel rotates to the left constatntly. The boat steers fine but the wheel is never on center. Sometimes it rotates all the way around after an hour of running or so. It also makes a really annoying hissing sound.

One trim tab cylinder has a slight leak.

The drives, in my opinion, have corroded really badly in only a years time. I realize that they all corrode but the amount that they have corroded is equal to what I would expect after 5 years.

Well thats about it. I think I cover most of the problems. I think we have about 80% fixed but we still need the helm fixed and the listing problem solved.

Just for your info I run the boat alot. Three time a week or better. I took delivery of it last year on june 18 and I already have 130 hours on the boat. I live on lake erie so the boat is only 10 minutes away.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Anybody have problems with the 342?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.