Prop Education >

Prop Education

Notices

Prop Education

Old 02-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Education

Ok, we are a bit new to owning a go-fast so I will put that out there since this will be our second season. Our 03 302 has factory 496's/Bravo I pushing 4-blade props. It was my understanding that by changing props could get you 1-2 MPH more. Unless you are racing, and I don't, what's the deal? I can see if you are trying to push into a major mark 90 MPH or 100 MPH but what is the value to change props?
Old 02-28-2004, 03:58 PM
racinbird

Not sure about the rest of the group, but for me its simple. Ive got a 232 boss with a 502, my 24p 4 blade hits around 70mph but gets loose at top end due to prop design, the 4 blade is a great low end and rough water prop but lifts the stern at higher speeds. My second prop it a worked-tuned 25p 3 blade made for top speed, havent used it yet (freaking winter) but hopeing to see 4-5 mph more out of it, its houston props new accelorator design. Also dont forget its always nice to have a spare around.

One thing to consider is that it takes high HP to raise speed on a boat once you get to a certain level, A nicely tuned/preped prop can yield 2-3 lost mph for pretty cheap compared to engine work.

Old 02-29-2004, 01:47 AM
Registered

Default RACINGBIRD

Your right on track,and by the way Thanks for the Business.

all new props are mass produced and Mercury bravo-one or the Mirage props are cast props.

what this means is when the props go through the cooling process the blades can tend to slightly move so they have varations in each blade,also they are very thick and heavy from the factory,by thinning a blade by let's say 50% for example,
the prop is still good and strong and takes lot LESS hp to turn it thru the water still maintaining a strong durable prop.
also we check all blades for pitch ,the angle of the blades for complete accuracy and correct any distortion and the make sure the prop is perfectly balancedand pitched.FINISHING is customer choice there is a brushed look (satin finish)it's easier and lower in price to finish or the high luster polish which looks great and prevents rusting of the propeller.

I some what understand what you are saying,putting my feet in your shoes but on a mass produced prop on a boat like yours ,I would highly consider the small investment of labbing your props.

one good reason your out drives will last much longer having a perfect props,and if you hit something very hard ?its more likely to bend the propeller than a prop shaft.

Hope I helped answer a few questions you may have had.Welcome aboard inpropsicated.
Attached Thumbnails Prop Education-shop-vacation-323.jpg  

Last edited by HOUSTONPROP; 02-29-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Registered

HP,
Do you gain the 2-3 MPH through out the cruising range or basically does it make a difference is you are staying in 3k-4k RPM and not going wide open? Cruising in the Chesapeake Bay, we can get a pretty good chop so it will be in rough water. I liked the idea of the polished finish because our props have already need polishing.

What specs are used to tune it and get the right selection?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

You are really talking about speed on the top end. In the mid-range, it's more about useability. Over all a labbed prop is smoother overall. Darrin did my Mirage Plusses and they perfrom better coming on plane and in the mid-range. The reason I like the three blade is that it will more than likely be faster on top while the 4-blade will give you a higher cruise speed at the same rpm. Most who want the best of both worlds lab the 4-blade and call it even.

My boat came with 3 blades so I'll stick with them until I get a chance to test out some Bravo1's, although I know what that results will be.

Watch the Chesapeake, I bought my boat from down there. They were lab finsihed by all the stinking crab pots everywhere! (a lab prop will ding and bend much more readily, so if you are a roto-tiller, don't do it!)
Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered

Default Randy>prop questions

private message me with you number and I will call you and we can talk props on the phone.

there are so many factors to talk about, its best to call and see just what you want and will see if it can be achieved.