Do you have hook in your hull? >

Do you have hook in your hull?

Notices

Do you have hook in your hull?

Old 07-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have hook in your hull?

Thinking of having the hook in my hull taken out. On both sides I have a 1/16th or more hook. Does anyone else have hook in there hulls and if the have had it taken out what was the out come? I have a Baja 252 islander.

Thanks

Russ
Old 07-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: Do you have hook in your hull?

come on 40 people look and they don't reply!

Someone has to know if there is hook in there hull? And someone has had to have taken it out.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Do you mean the hook at the very back of the hull in the strake area? I have heard that bad things happen when you take that hook out of a Baja. The factory puts it there to help the boat plane easier and track better. I would leave it alone. If the bottom is not straight then that is something else. By straight I mean is the hull flat without any noticable waves. You might pick up a little speed by flattening it out. That would mean building up the low spots with gelcoat and then sanding the whole thing flat again. Lots of work if you do it yourself. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Baja just Reset my hooks because they were not even and it caused my boat to list while running. I have noticed the boat porpoises more now. Its not bad but I do notice it when the waves are tight and choppy.

I know that other people on here have taken them out but they all had to put k-planes on to compensate for the porpoising
Old 07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

Did they take them all the way out or just make them the same. Also did they blueprint the bottom when they did this?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Everyone's gonna have a different opinion on this one. When I took my 24 Outlaw in on trade a couple years back, It was practically un-controllable at speeds in excess of 60. While basically doing a complete make-over, I removed the hook and sharpened the rear-ward edges. Basicly a blueprint. If I remember correctly, It had something like 3/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. I also added dual IMCO steering and Dana 16" tabs. The end result was absolutly unbelievable. The boat rode, manuvered, and "flew" perfectly. If I were to do it again, removing the hook would be first on the list! The majority of these hulls are VERY thick, and some tweaking is not a problem. The hook was added for getting the bow down and on plane easily with moderate stock power, and no tabs usually. If your going to go thru with it, plan on some good quality tabs and steering if possible. A must with upgraded power. Good Luck!

Last edited by azlineman; 07-07-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All Bajas have a hook in the hull to some extent. It's there for a reason. It helps the boat come on plane quicker and at lower speeds and also greatly aids handling; It does sacrifice some speed but it's not much.

Some have removed it, and have have had varying degrees of success. Some love it, some regret it. It depends on who did the work and how much was removed.

Removing the hook is easy, putting it back is not...it may or may not be worth the risk to you. I would be hesitant.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

They just made mine the same and they also did a minor blueprint of the back of the boat. It is much better but I still have the hooks in it. My 302 porpoises alot anyway I would not it to porpoise anymore.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Question Re: Do you have hook in your hull?

i have a 1990 24ft which i noticed the hook that was a lot more then i think it should be. what does everyone think the most the hook should be. i plan to paint this winter and would remove the hook or at least reduce it
Old 07-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

If anyone is interested on where the hook is in there hull
Attached Thumbnails Do you have hook in your hull?-transomhook1.jpg   Do you have hook in your hull?-transomhook2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Do you have hook in your hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.