Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's??? >

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Notices

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Did Sonic give you a rebate to go and trash Baja? I wanna get a Sonic now so we can hang out. Everyone has the boats they like and dislike but they don't go over to the other forums they dislike and boast about they think they have a better boat.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Registered

i was imprest, stepped hull
I guessed I missed something. When they start making stepped hulls.

Sorry not trying to bash on Sonics, but you need to get your info straight too definitely being an owner.

BTW, I couldn't find Sonics website to see if they had changed.

And another thing, have you actually read down though the whole sonic forum. One member posted pics where a plate was cracking on the transom. And it was no small crack either.

Again, not bashing Sonic, I think they have nice lines and look good running, but you need to check your facts and come back with more than the "website said so".
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by a salt weapon
just so you Know Sonic has never had one Structural hull problem or hull warranty claim since they went in business that's 26 years !! The ONLY manufacture that can boast that claim, you can read it on thier website ..your refering to a bilge seal that leaked on 2 boats that got delivered and was found and fixed promptly. Sonic only makes Offshore performance boats no family or fishing boats. And they Just merged with Mares this year and moved into a all new manufacturing plant , but the new owners say they still want to keep production around 60 per year to keep the quality and workmanship to the high standereds that Sonic is known for.they make each one individual to customers specs.
And for the record i wasnt trying to bash Baja, I had a deposit on a 2006 Outlaw w/ upgraded $10,000 paint option ..but after i visited the Sonic Plant and saw What goes into the production, i was imprest, stepped hull ,thicker hulls,Fx resin infusion,and everything standard , the porta-potti and shower have seperate door for privacy, and you can pick any tricked-out poker run paint scheme you want ect.ect...and i think that anyone looking to trade or buy a new boat should take into consideration what Baja does to thier customers Yea they make a nice boat but .it is massed produced and they use a Antique cheap to build hull design, built cheap and priced cheap, thats why they sell so many and the paint schemes Suck ( you all have to admit to that ) and they upcharge you for everything it's like the only thing standard is the hull. after purchasing my Sonic i felt like Baja insulted me by charging extra for everthing, and only offering 7th grader paint schemes,.. PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS PERSONAL, but Baja is the Kia or Hyundia of boats..Its a nice boat for a starter boat ...
If you can afford to spend a little more get a Sonic a Fountain or formula.
dont take this personal im not trying to insult anyone im just stating facts.
Salt Weapon
Sonic does NOT have a step on the 260
as far as cracks,go back to the Sonic forum were you belong and ask Quite Storm,Fish Tails,Captbill,and others and they will tell you about the cracks and all other issues they had and still have with their Sonic boats,as far as the sonics bringing more money at resale,that is also not true,Grand Sport Center sold both ,They sell lot of Bajas,but dropped Sonic,I wonder why,A guy that belong to the boat club I am in bought a 2005 260 with a 500efi,1st time out it would not go in gear,he thought we got a bad outdrive,when the shop took the drive out they discovered that Sonic left out the engine coupler
hope you have better luck with your boat.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Salt Weapon

The guy I bought three Baja's from left to start his own dealership. He really wanted Baja, but could not get the line at that time. He signed up with Sonic which was available and immediately got a fully loaded 358 with twin 525's and a 31 with 496HO's that was very nice and one smaller boat, I cannot remember the size.

First off I was actually involved in selecting the options on the 358. He thought we did such a good job with our 36 Outlaw that he asked us to be involved to pick options, colors, etc. I really was honored and enjoyed doing it. I can tell you that there are a "LOT" of options. Like most builders everything does not come as standard.

He then found out two bad things with Sonic. First they were not know well in this area and were a real hard sell. Second he found that there was little support from the factory and if you called the factory direct that they would sell you direct and were not supporting their dealers. It did not take him long to get a bad taste in his mouth for Sonic.

He sit on the 358 and the 31 for a year and had the prices dropped down to his actual cost trying to sell them. My phone rang on day and he asked if I would take the 358 out on Lake Norman the coming Saturday and get it some exposure. I was thrilled to get the opportunity. A few things I found compared to Baja. The engine compartment was not any bigger. It was VERY tight and just as hard to get to the engine components. The cockpit was MUCH smaller then all Baja's I have been in around the same size boat range. The cuddy was first class and VERY nice. That is where Sonic really shinned in my opinion. Overall fit and finish were very good, but there were already two paint issues with this boat where paint was peeling off. The boat did not like as much trim as I was use to with the Baja. If you over trimmed it would porpoise bad. Once I figured that out the boat ran well but had a much lighter feel then the 36 Outlaw and did not have the ride quality. My thoughts were that in rough offshore type conditions I would not enjoy the boat as much.

It did "NOT" have a step hull and would run right at 80 MPH on the speedo with the 525's. Overall a very nice boat with several features that I liked. But for the money it was not the value I have with the 36 Outlaw. I have a lot more boat in my opinion and for around $50K less money.

The dealer finally got rid of all the Sonic's at a loss and now has the Formula line, and I will not post on here his comparison of Sonic and Formula.

Hopefully Sonic will get their company back up and going and be a factor in the market place. Competition is a good thing for all of us.

If you like Sonic buy it, but to come on here and bash Baja for know reason then because you like Sonic better really does not say much about you or your boat knowledge.

Dock
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja36ft
It Might
Be A Great Lake Boat But Not A Bay Or Ocean Boat
Thats For Sure!!!!!!!
doesn't get rough in Great Lakes
Attached Thumbnails question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???-superior1.jpg   question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???-superior2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Hey Downtown,

I will agree with you on that one. Havinf gone to both Lake Erie and Ontario this last summer I have a whole new respect for them. They really should be called Seas instead of lakes. I saw more Apache's and Cigarettes then any other brand. Did not see but one or two Sonic's.

What year model is your 42 Fountain and what power is in it? You have one really sharp boat!

Dock
Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered

Sonic Sonic Sonic...whatever. Hyundai of performance boats? I don't think so. 7th grade paint scheme? Come on...gimme a break. Get a life. If Bajas are such a piece of crap what are you doing on a Baja thread anyway? If I had three hundred grand lying around to spend on a playtoy, maybe I'd have a Baja, maybe not. If you have a problem with the fact that I'm a working class guy, take your silicone injected plastic woman and beach it somewhere else. I'm not out to impress or put down anyone. Last time I checked I didn't notice any more Outlaws broken in half than any other manufacturer. All I see is a bunch of folks having a good time regardless of what they have.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Downtown42
That is freakin rough!!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by a salt weapon
Stop taking things PERSONAL ........I was stating my exsperiance with Baja and my opinion ( look at the title of the post "do we looked down on us becouse we own Baja's ? ") I was just stating my buying exsperiance and opinion with some facts..I wasnt try to insult anyone if i did then I'M TRULY SORRY AND I APPOLIGIZE TO THOSE I OFFENDED.. and noone looks down on people who own baja's they look down on the manufacturer baja it self for doing what they do to such a loyal customer base that they have..i was going to buy one i like the boat..becouse of the price, but once i added all the options and 10,000 to have a nice paint scheme they are up there in price with the Formulas, fountains, Sonics .thats crazy those where resonably priced boats at one time but now that they sell so many they upcharge everything and put cheap basic paint schemes to get your money, if they cared about thier customers they wouldt put those upcharges everywhere paint them nice and keep them afforably priced .but thats just my opinion. and again noone looks down on people who own Baja's they look down on the manufacturer, my two best friends own Baja's and i owened a used one some years back that i enjoyed greatly ! .Im not better then anyone and i dont think or act like i am So again if i insulted you then i apoligize. these are just my opinions and if im wrong then im wrong but it's just my opinion. Happy Boating !
Okay we get it. You don't like the Baja paint scheme.

Thanks for all your valuable input.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered

ANYTHING THAT FLOATS IS FUN.

Dock: 2005...tnks

Quick Reply: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.