Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's??? >

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Notices

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Old 01-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MidnightRider,
Good luck on the poker run,I'll be sitting off to the side watching again this year.
And i'll make damn sure i wave at ya
Steve
Old 01-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Registered

Yeah really, Im going to wave to everyone even though response might be weak from other boaters.
Years ago, when I had my bayliner, I had great response from other boaters waving
Times have changed and response is weak anymore, but I will continue to acknowledge others and be respectful and mindful (assuming my freakin boat will do over 10 mph this year GRRRRRR)
Hope to see some of you out on the DE river this year and if you dont wave, Ill chase you down and beat you with a 2x4 piece of lumber!!! HA!
Jason
Old 01-23-2002, 05:57 AM
MIdnightRider

Michigan's warm weather is giving me cabin fever. I'm going to be the idiot smokin' down spring lake in gore tex here in about a week if this keeps up. Bench racin'is getting old.

Old 01-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Eric1969

I find this topic very interesting. I am in the process of stepping up to a bigger/better boat. I have looked at Bajas' Islander series and the Checkmates. I was surprised by the CM sales person's thoughts on Bajas. Basically, said they are made by the same manufacture that makes Bayliner and you know what kind of crap they are. He did; however, have good things to say about some other types of boats. In my little uneducated mind, I think Baja may get a little lack of respect due to the fact that they are made by Brunswick, who also makes Bayliner. Please don't take this as being a bash on Bajas, just a thought. I like the Bajas personally, but am a little hesitant when I ask some independent, third party people their thoughts on Bajas and they are not good. Most negative comments I hear are about how they make their molds. I am also very aware that people fear the unknown. In addition, when I spoke to a Baja salesman, I asked him the difference between the 496 and the 496 HO. He said the 496 HO was a high output engine. I said, OK, what makes it a high output engine. He said it puts out more HP. I said, OK, how does it put out more HP? He said, "They soup it up". My thought was, "NO SH@#." Not a real qualified salesperson is you ask me.

Please comment on my experience with Baja.

Thank You

Old 01-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

Midnight Rider,
Do you have a Baja with a built motor in it and Midnight Rider written in Red down the side? If so, you boat sounds bad ass
See ya in Hanky this summer
Old 01-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Eric1969,
Brunswick makes all kinds of boats. Sure bayliner is one of them but so is Sea Ray. Are they the same quality as a bayliner too? How about Mercury Marine? They are owned by Brunswick too yet no other manufactorers hesitate to slap a Merc to the transom of their boats. Sounds like you have been fed a line of bull. As far as a Baja salesman that doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground, I'm not suprised. Find a good dealer to talk to about boats. Some of these guys couldn't sell a car let alone a boat. At least you got someone to talk with you. The last time I went to a checkmate dealer, I couldn't get someone to even talk to me Oh well, their loss cause I'm not going to spend my money there.
If you want to talk with someone at Baja about their boats, hit their website and shoot them an email. You will get a qualified person responding to you. I've talked to my area rep many times about different questions because I no longer have a local dealer. They have been very helpful!
Just my .02
Old 01-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Eric1969

Red Stripe,
I like the Sea Rays, but the thought of the Bayliner may be one reason why Bajas are frowned upon. Just a thought.

I have had some email conversations with the Baja Rep from their web site which was great. Then I went to the Atlanta Boat Show and met my "Baja Expert". It was actually really funny, I never would of thought that was the answer I would of gotten. I laughed when he gave me that answer and then just walked away.

My fear is that I make a purchase and it turns out to be the wrong one.

How do you like your sport boat? My guess is the Islanders are made from the same concept? I wonder how they differ from SeaRays?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 01-23-2002, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric,

Did that CM salesman tell you what junk Mercruiser engines are since they are also made by Brunswick? BTW - I've been to the CM factory and seen them being built. I'll keep my mouth shut to avoid starting something.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:53 PM
MIdnightRider

A couple of things, First for Red, That is my Baja, straight dry pipes and about 565hp, sounds like a dragster, the folks at Grand Ilse love when I creep back into the marina at about 3am. It's for sale right now, I bought a 42 Fountain. Now to the salesman, If you are any kind of saleman, never attack someone else's product, it hurts your own credibility. And he must not be to intelligent, because as was stated, brunswick owns Merc, Sea Ray, Baja, and Bayliner, and not Bayliner when they were the blue and white peaces of ****. If have has ever been on a newer 90's BL you would realize it is almost a Sea Ray quality boat, (we still called my buddies a ****liner, LOL) But it was a nice boat.

Old 01-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Eric1969

29 Outlaw,
No he did not critize Mercruiser, he was a little critical on how the molds and fiberglassing was done on the Bajas vs CM. Please believe me, I take everything with a grain of salt. I would of been more surprised if he said they were great boats. I like the looks and options Bajas provide, just when the salesman is a mooron and doesn't represent his company well, it sets a little alarm off in my head.

I enjoy comparing boats and I always learn alot talking with other boaters. I am by no means an expert, I just want a solid boat that is reliable, fast and that I can use with my water toys.

Thanks

Quick Reply: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.