Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's??? >

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Notices

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Old 01-23-2002, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Baja's are not "MADE" by brunswick, they are the parent company that bought out the original owners. I believe they were bought out in 96 or so by brunswick. Bayliner, searay, Baja, Maxum, and the rest have nothing to do with each other except they are owned by the same bank basically. They are all still run by seperate entities. All the boats arent built in the same place by the same standards.

Let's just say Brunswick decides to buy out Cigarette or Skater or Outerlimits etc etc etc Does that mean they arent still kick ass boats...NO! Look at scarab, SWEET boat! I don't really care for much else of the Wellcraft line though but that doesn't make Scarab a crappy boat.

And speaking of Bayliner, they really arent that bad of boats, the reason they got such a bad rep was because they used to let the hulls sit outside for to long and they would weaken from what I was told. When is the last time you actually heard of a Bayliner's hull cracking in half? That is what happend a LOOOONG time ago to a bunch of bad hulls and they never had the same reputaion again. `Theres a couple of those 60+ foot Bayliner yaughts in the harbor here that I wouldnt mind cruising!

Baja is a sweet riding and running boat. I've said it a million times before, I've run my boat in the ocean in BIG swells for the last 4-5 years. No hull stress cracks anywhere!! That boat is out of the water more than its in the water when I'm running it out there. The only strees cracks on the whole boat is on the corners of the fiberglass fairing from the fairing flexing. (the fairing is not part of the deck lid). I would put my boat up against ANY boat in it's size class. Half the other boats never run in the kinds of conditions I've run my boat in!

If you are going to base your opinions on what everyone else thinks that have never owned the type of boat you are going to buy, then you are probably out of luck. And in regards to bad salesmen, that has nothing to do with how the boat is constructed or how good of a boat it is. It just means the guys heads up his ass and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Prob. needed the job to pay bills. Read the brochure and ran with it. Go to a different dealer, complain to the manager of that dealer, or to Baja directly. But don't base your opinion of a boat company because the salemen was an idiot.

Again, good luck in buying a new boat. Whatever you buy you WILL be happy with. Theres not to many crappy offshore boat builers these days.

Tank
Old 01-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First I had an 85 bayliner and for 9 grand boat motor trailer deal (20 ft) it was not bad at all
No it was not my wildest choice, at that time I wanted a 38 scarab but hey
minor difference in dollars plus it was my fathers money so his decision
anyway, that boat taught me alot about boating and tides, charting and all seamanship stuff.
Now this is MY boat bought with MY money and I am responsible for it. No it was not my first choice but and I stress BUT, I am very happy with how much it was, and the condition it was in was reflective of the price. if I parted it out, I could get more for it than I paid let alone sell it as a whole.
No my boat is not the fastest or wildest paint job but it is a great looking boat with the amenities that I wanted and required. for 17 g's that I paid, I probably am way ahead of most of you wether your in a 100 thou boat or a 10 thou boat
I am happy with my decision, I am looking forward to my experiences with this particular baja and get all goose bumps when thinking about working and playing on it.
I think that alot of these boat builders are way way way overpriced and Baja is allowing alot of us to enter into this hobby at a more modest price with same engines that the "big guys" use
Yeah you can get a 33 outlaw with t-500efi
or twin chief 1100's if your crazy enough
the addition of the custom shop at Baja is just another way of them really doing what the customer wants in my opinion
that skittles scheme is really impressive and tops out with the outerlimits, sonic and others schemes as well in comparison.

I think baja builds a boat for the more realistic boater that has a budget and works for their money on a non 6 figure income.
Hell I dont make 6 figures and I dont have a 6 figure boat either. am I embarassed to take my boat out and smash some waves? NO
Have I already met and talked to alot of other boaters on here that share my feelings YES
So if some snot that owns some 900 thousand dollar rig does not wave to me as he is passing me , so be it, dont care
I worked really really hard for along time for this dream to come true, no snot nosed Mommy gimme some money I want a custom built boat is going to rob me of my pleasure of taking my baja out and running it and feeling on top of the world.
I did not expect this post to grow to this size or have the details of the feedback that I got.
Im glad people are posting and maybe one that owns a expensive rig can read this and say to him/herself, huh maybe it is not all the money you spend on this -- maybe it is the fact that others like the water and to go fast and make noise and have fun and weekend out there and relax, and not spend a kabillion dollars.
Im happy, how about you?
Jason
Old 01-23-2002, 02:18 PM
MIdnightRider

If I were in the market today for those two boats, I would be torn. I believe Checkmate is a much more solid boat, an a little better ride. Two of my friends had the checkmates, a 95 pursader, and a 98 convincer, they are quality, and that convincer is fast(its like 67 with a 330hp). But in the 29, the outlaw is simply a better looking boat, both in the cockpit and down the rails. Just leave off that tacky splatter paint. My old Baja is not ever worth using as a reference point.LOL, it was and is a good boat, we were just together to long.

Old 01-23-2002, 02:37 PM
Eric1969

thistank-
Sorry, I didn't mean they were made by Brunswick. My concern would be reliability. I am going to speak with a different sales rep with Baja. Can't be any worse than the last guy

I agree with Jay. I am fortunate enough to make 6 figures and I still can't afford a big boat. I have a 17 foot FourWinns, crap my "johnson" is bigger than my boat.

My personal decision is between a CM and a Baja.

I was just responding to the topic about why Baja takes a little bit of a bad wrap. Please take my comments from an outside source who is by no means an expert but is part of the general boating public.

Old 01-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CM's are good boats but I can't get by the dated styling. When I went to visit the factory the first area I saw was their corporate office space. I felt like I was walking onto the set of the 70's show - complete with green, mono chrome, vt100 monitors on the desks. Lots of velour too. It's easy to see why the old styling carries over to the boats.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as a side note to add some craziness to this
I love my baja's freeboard
My boat does NOT look like it is sinking like the fountains, sonics and the rest
I can take a 2 foot wave on the side and still be dry
a 35 fountain would be screwed!!!!
Jay
Old 01-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Eric1969

Originally posted by 29 OUTLAW:
<STRONG>CM's are good boats but I can't get by the dated styling. When I went to visit the factory the first area I saw was their corporate office space. I felt like I was walking onto the set of the 70's show - complete with green, mono chrome, vt100 monitors on the desks. Lots of velour too. It's easy to see why the old styling carries over to the boats.</STRONG>
what do you mean by dated styling? When did you visit their factory? You may not know this, but do you know the difference between how Baja and CM makes their fiberglass molds. I think one "sprays" it and one "squeeges" it. Does that sound right? I am not a rigger, big surprise, huh?

Old 01-23-2002, 03:50 PM
FA18Driver

Talking

I'm with you Jay!! Not to bragg but I make enuff to buy what ever kinda boat I want, But I keep my little old (paid for) Baja. Have I ever been snubbed beause I am in a Baja? Well I may have but I don't pay a h#ll of a lot of attention to em Do I some times want a faster boat? Sure I do when some smart@ss blows by me like I am stopped I want something faster. But overall I really like my Baja and if I had it to do over again I would buy the same boat I have now. Just my $.02 for what it is worth

Old 01-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Eric, I wasn't offended by anything you've said bro. I was just commenting on how every one seems to think just because Brunswick bought out a bunch of boat companies that now they are all the same boat. It just isn't that way. And like I said before Brunswick is just like a big bank for these companies, thats all. Brunswick is just a big money machine. They take their money and put it into a business to make more money. I just think it's a huge misconseption to say all the boat companies under Brunswick are built by the same company, it's not that black and white.

Tank
Old 01-23-2002, 07:07 PM
MIdnightRider

"250 Sport", best mini-offshore around for the money. I put 100+ hours on a summer for four years, and even though I now own the big fountain, I still think that boat is sweet. It was great in the 4-6 footers, and in lite chop the thing just unstuck and flew. And that boat does not have a crack on it, anyone who ever rode with me knows I had no problem runnin wide open on the big water. There was few times I thought we were crashin, once it was like 10-12 footers, just goin up and down the waves, I punched it off the top of one, and it stabbed the next wave, the whole boat dove under, that actually scared me. The people that were out that october day were only the big bad baja, my buddy in his pursader, and the coast gaurd. Those boats hold up. And as far as the fountains low ridin, thats just so they look like they are runnin 100+ at idle.

Quick Reply: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.