Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's??? >

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Notices

question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Damn..... Now here's a thread dug up from the past
Old 11-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

90% of the time, I get VERY favorable reactions to my 25 Outlaw, especially from bored females on other boats (of course, it's when I'm with my woman not when it's a guys day out). I wave to everybody regardless of what boat there in, life's too short to be conceited or arrogant. The only snobby reactions I've ever had were at the AC performance in water boat show (Hustler, Eliminator, etc). I would walk up to a group of guys all dressed in the same shirts/jackets and try to talk to them, they would make it quite clear that they weren't interested in my presence. Whether it was because they were dressed up like little girls going to Sunday mass or because they are fiercely insecure, I don't know but I will tell you this FU*K 'EM !! I'll always be friendly when I first meet someone, once. I don't have an intense need to be "accepted" by a bunch of factory guys in Hustler jackets...I'd always rather party with you guys. I'd rather have a house and a Baja than a $300K boat. I started in a $100 1985 Welcraft 165 Stinger w/ a Johnson 90 O/B (30mph @ WOT) so I come from humble beginnings...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Registered

What does, and always will, piss me off is when other Baja owners act like snobs. I've been snubbed on more than one occasion by fellow Baja owners, it's less than 1% of the time but it still makes me want to jump in their ride and 'educate' them. If you're in the Avalon, NJ area and a guy in a red/white/blue 25 Outlaw with a fiberglass swim platform doesn't wave back...don't be surprised. Maybe he's pissed that he didn't get the aluminum swim platform or because he only has the single-ram trim tabs...I don't know but I waved to him twice (he gets the benefit of the doubt, being a Baja owner and all) and he snubbed me both times !! A guy in a brand new 30 Outlaw also looked right at me and didn't wave back !! What an as*hole !! Again, it's only been three times since I've been a Baja owner but those occasions stick out more in my mind.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,049 Posts

DAAAAAM this is a blast from the past!!

I wrote that reply almost four years ago and now own a Top Gun and I'll tell you what....I still give props to Baja and always will. Great boat!! It's funny, when ever I see a Baja running around I tap my wife and yell, "Baja pride!!"....Yea, I'm kind've a dork...Whatever
Old 11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

I read this whole thing and had to reply.... I own 2 Bajas..1993 38 Special and 2003 442. While I know these are some of the largest Bajas built, I have a tremendous amount of seat time in Bajas. My first Baja was a 1973 15ft. ski boat with 70 + plus HP outboard. Great Boat! Wish I had it today to play around with and that was well over 25 years ago. I have owned many boats since that time and met many people through the years from boating. The boating community as a whole is extremely friendly and in most cases acknowledges the other in passing. I have heard the bashing on this web site and others and felt I needed to speak out to my other Baja brethren. I have the ability to purchase some of the other boats on the market, as you can see by what I own, and I believe that Baja is the best overall package for me. I spent numerous hours researching other boats (with intentions of defecting) including sea trials and physically going to look at many used boats before deciding what to purchase. The only group that I have seen that are not Baja friendly are just not friendly at all. They just think they are better than everyone else. Alot of people take jabs a Baja's because they have to justify their tremendous investment. If you go to the Poker Runs you will see that the boats that seem to break the most are also the most expensive. Yes you can buy another manufacturers' boat that will go faster with the same power and there are also boats that go slower. I purchased my third Baja because it provided me with the best boat to meet my needs. By the way, both my 38 and 442 have been to the Bahamas and back with not so much as adding a quart of oil. In July, I ran a poker run that was so rough that the only 4 boats (out of 35+) to complete the run in the Gulf were a 47 Fountain, 43 Nortech, 28 Pantera (I think) and my 442. I agree it was rough, but the three of us just kept going. The Pantera was not too far behind. I have a whole new respect for Pantera. The bottom line is there are a number of boat manufacturers out there and there is an ass for every seat. There are only so many $500,000+ asses though. I will eventually want a larger boat (like yesterday) and hope that Baja enters that market in the future. I will be watching. I am damn proud to be a Baja owner and feel very fortunate to be part of such a loyal group!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

I have never felt looked down upon but in my area Bajas are really the only performance boat around. Few Foutains but who cares. I have to share this story though. Memorial day 2004 LOTO rough as hell I was leaving a marina with my friend who was in a procharged 29 outlaw, Three Cigs came hauling up the lake all 36 + in length they were cutting through the water without spilling a drop of thier drinks. We had joked all weekend that the procharged 29 was a time bomb waiting to go off and his weekend would be over. As we idled out I told him to go get them. He jumped on it and I followed way behind. (I was in my old 29 with 496's) He had 6 people in his boat he caught them and started to pull the Cigs with his stern out of the water a lot of the time. He said the look on there faces was priceless. If they were all the way into thier throttles I don't know but I would think a little respect had to be earned.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the better question is this...

"Do you really give a $hit what a low life non-boater ***gett that has to spend BIG $$$ to show the world he is someone, and feels the need to belittle those that spend less really thinks?"

I consider myself to be a boater. We use our boat, we overnight on it, we take long extended coastal trips, we have done 21 Poker Runs in the last three years. A true boater LOVES and ENJOYS boating. I have ran side by side to boat that cost three times what mine did and when we all arrive at the same destination we feel just as satisfied about the trip and have just as much fun!

We have MANY friends that own Baja's, Cigarette's, Fountains, Formula's, Velocity's, NotTechs and others that are also boaters.

These people NEVER look down on another boater. Then you have those that usually "ONLY" go to poker runs, or big events for the sole purpose to "BE SEEN", and they are very concerned about what they are seen in, how much they paid for it and making sure you know it!

I have seen enough of them to just walk right by and not give a $hit. I have seen several of them that no longer even have a boat. They were living a big lifestyle they really could not afford and are gone!

A lot of my friends now with other brands use to own, or like me started out with Baja's. It is a perception that you should move up, that Baja is enty level. In most cases they spent a lot of additional money and only gained MPH, and in many cases lost other things that Baja has to offer in the trade.

In my opinion most manufacturers owe Baja a thank you for getting so many people into this sport and getting them hooked. Ask people what their first performance boat was and 6 out of 10 will say Baja!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 11-11-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Dock,

Well put...

I started with an 87 240 sport with an 454 and an alfa drive.........that lasted 3 weeks.....booom to the drive. I have been boating all my life. I had my first boat wen i was 6 12 ft with a 6hp Evinrude.....top speed of 10 mph.

Now I have a 2001 302 that I own with my brothers and due to some disagreements we are selling it. I have had people drool over my boat and it is bone stock from the factory.....I have also had people look at like it was a huge hunk of sh!t.

I am the same as most have said. I have looked at many many other boats riddin on tons of them and I came to the conclusion that baja has the best bang for your buck. Its well built, good warranty, relatively fast, safe, and it actually has room in the cocpit......

We could have bought many other boats including a cig and fountain but I couldn't see spending 50-100% more for the same class of boat....

I loved seeing the faces on the guys 2 years ago during a poker run with 50+ boats. We had 5-7ft seas and I was the fourth boat to the lunch stop 50 miles from the starting port. A 42 fountain, 40 outlaw, and an 37 outerlimits were the only boats that beat my 68 mph 302........

Nuf said......Baja can hang with any of them. PERIOD.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

being a baja owner i had to join in. i boat on the hudson and there are alot of speed boats out every weekend. i have meet some of this guys.(most from this board) and these guys have some sick rides. ive seen tantrums 30 amt cat and ive seen stez cig. all i got from them is compliaments on my boat. they dont care what i have they just understand that we all love to do the same thing. but yes i have been looked down on by some and it does bother me but all i do is i give you the one finger salute instead of a wave. im proud of my boat and i do want to buy a top gun one daybut until that day i will drive my 25 outlaw with pride.

BTW i am also a brunswick pool table dealer so i do show a little favortizim.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered

What Doc said!!!!

Quick Reply: question, do we get looked down on since we own baja's???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.