Banana Boat 24 set up

Notices

Banana Boat 24 set up

Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Great documemtation and post.

I too have gone through the process of restoring a loved one!

You will love the ITS, I have one as well.
Its an expensive part but worth it.

I can turn my 20FT tunnell hull on a nickel with two fingers

Thanks again for documenting your work for us.

Uncle Dave
Thanks!
Yes, I have high expectations of the ITS.
What boat do you have it on?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pasta
Thanks!
Yes, I have high expectations of the ITS.
What boat do you have it on?
Actually now that I think of It I have 2 ITS's,

I also have one on my "big " boat a Lavey 2750.

I have one a Laveycraft Sebring 20.8ft tunnel hull
Its got a 500HP 406 in it. Without the ITS landings from getting air were a lot more dramatic- now it flies and lands straight as an arrow.

I use the red boat for lakes and Rivers and the Blue one for the Ocean.

The ITS on the 2750 can muscle around that skeg around pretty easy as well considering Im throwing 700HP at it along with a considerable amount of weight because of all the goodies Im hauling around (radar/2 dvd's, ac/heat, monster stereo etc.)

UD
Attached Thumbnails Banana Boat 24 set up-080710-071.jpg   Banana Boat 24 set up-dsc09623.jpg   Banana Boat 24 set up-platinum-xr.jpg  

Banana Boat 24 set up-dsc05791.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks!

Thanks for your input on airintakes.
Yes, the air is up for discussions right now.
I showed the boat to a friend today and he said the same thing. It is probably going to be a lot of warm air for the engine if I dont open up for more air.
Before I take the decission to open up for more air I have asked "tomas_wallin" to do a calculation of the engine´s need for air versus the intakes the boat already has.

As you aleady know, I love the looks of the 24 race boat.
If its going to be scoops I will have a look at those scoop.
Right now I dont know if scrapping the sunpad is ok with my better half. Ha ha ha

Do you by chance have any pics laying around of the24 race boat and its scoops?
There are quite a few photos on the banana boat co website www.bananaboatco.com under the racing section.

There is even a photo that shows the hatch lifted and you can see the holes underneath to let the air in. The small black clam shells on the side of the hatch face forward and the rectangular vents on the side of the hull just ahead of the banana decal.

The big scoops on the hatch face backward. Carl Kiekhaefer told me that even facing backward, they still allow a lot of air to circulate to the engines.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by joefitness123
Charlie,

Mine is almost there...Acryllic done, Cabin done, powder coating done..Title transfer done..Motor almost done...Next rigging, then water here we come..Will have some pics this week..

Joseph
Joe....boat looks great..... keep us posted with the latest photos.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Registered

Actually now that I think of It I have 2 ITS's,

I also have one on my "big " boat a Lavey 2750.

I have one a Laveycraft Sebring 20.8ft tunnel hull
Its got a 500HP 406 in it. Without the ITS landings from getting air were a lot more dramatic- now it flies and lands straight as an arrow.

I use the red boat for lakes and Rivers and the Blue one for the Ocean.

The ITS on the 2750 can muscle around that skeg around pretty easy as well considering Im throwing 700HP at it along with a considerable amount of weight because of all the goodies Im hauling around (radar/2 dvd's, ac/heat, monster stereo etc.)

UD
Great looking boats!!!
Where they rigged without the ITS before?
If so, what was the difference?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
There are quite a few photos on the banana boat co website www.bananaboatco.com under the racing section.

There is even a photo that shows the hatch lifted and you can see the holes underneath to let the air in. The small black clam shells on the side of the hatch face forward and the rectangular vents on the side of the hull just ahead of the banana decal.

The big scoops on the hatch face backward. Carl Kiekhaefer told me that even facing backward, they still allow a lot of air to circulate to the engines.
Just had a look at your great web page once again.
I see what you mean.

Hmm, need to think about this some more...
I might come back with some questions for you later on.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Registered

Great looking boats!!!
Where they rigged without the ITS before?
If so, what was the difference?

Thanks.

The "big boat" always had the ITS so I have no point of comparison (and never really thought about it till after the post) to be honest I dont really push the bigger boat like I did the small one for fear Ill hook it, its only 1 season old and I desire to NOT to tear it up and mostly run point to point in the ocean using sweeping turns. I pushed it once once on a lake and it handled beautifully.

I planned on selling the little boat when I finished the big one, I was worried someone would get killed and come back at me so I put the steering on, new interior, new dash....you know how it goes.

The little boat was a regular bravo 1 no steering from 91-2008. I wore out three gimbals during this time and new I needed steering and budgeted 5K for an external system.
One downside of molded in swim steps was no room to mount external rams- hence the addition of the brutally expensive ITS.

Before the ITS The boats turning response would slow down past about 75 and at about 80 would basically only go straight until Id let off and trim down. Oh the wheel would turn- the boat wouldn't.

It turns now! like an F1 boat. I can run the bends at Parker wide open (about 90) with one hand on the wheel and make the boat do anything I want. Its an awesome component and it should be for what it costs.

I have to say I've only had a few tuning runs on the small boat but I believe the sportmaster lower cost me at least 2-3MPH at this stage. I dont know if its because my trim gauge is reading differently and Im not flying it as hard, or that I need to play with props to find my new sweet spot.
I didnt lose any stability so far.

Thanks again for the great work, and please keep em coming that Bananna is looking really great and you should justifiably be quite proud.

I want a ride!

UD
Attached Thumbnails Banana Boat 24 set up-710.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Thanks.

The "big boat" always had the ITS so I have no point of comparison (and never really thought about it till after the post) to be honest I dont really push the bigger boat like I did the small one for fear Ill hook it, its only 1 season old and I desire to NOT to tear it up and mostly run point to point in the ocean using sweeping turns. I pushed it once once on a lake and it handled beautifully.

I planned on selling the little boat when I finished the big one, I was worried someone would get killed and come back at me so I put the steering on, new interior, new dash....you know how it goes.

The little boat was a regular bravo 1 no steering from 91-2008. I wore out three gimbals during this time and new I needed steering and budgeted 5K for an external system.
One downside of molded in swim steps was no room to mount external rams- hence the addition of the brutally expensive ITS.

Before the ITS The boats turning response would slow down past about 75 and at about 80 would basically only go straight until Id let off and trim down. Oh the wheel would turn- the boat wouldn't.

It turns now! like an F1 boat. I can run the bends at Parker wide open (about 90) with one hand on the wheel and make the boat do anything I want. Its an awesome component and it should be for what it costs.

I have to say I've only had a few tuning runs on the small boat but I believe the sportmaster lower cost me at least 2-3MPH at this stage. I dont know if its because my trim gauge is reading differently and Im not flying it as hard, or that I need to play with props to find my new sweet spot.
I didnt lose any stability so far.

Thanks again for the great work, and please keep em coming that Bananna is looking really great and you should justifiably be quite proud.

I want a ride!

UD
Enjoy the fun when testing different props in the search for the "missing" speed.

Did you mount the ITS in the same position as the old Bravo transom?

I will be somewhere about 3" inch below the kiel with the prop shaft.
How about yours? Especially interested in the bigger boat with the V-hull.

Book a flight to Sweden late summer 2010 and Ill try to have her ready for a test run.

Edit: Sweet looking engine!!!!

Last edited by pasta; 01-17-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Registered

I make it to the Netherlands every september, maybe I can shoot over there.

Ive been trying to find my post where I talked about my x dimension measurements.
Im remembering something like 4 inches below center but my memory fails me every now and then.

its high enough to where when getting on plane I blow the prop out but all I need to do is feather it back and I hook and go.

Yeah testing..... I think Ill pay bob Teague to show up with his truck full of props. sounds like a lot worse ways to spend a day huh?

UD
Old 01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

hey looks good if you go to the baja section look at pics of my boat theres 3 or 4 pics with a scoop that mrv8outboard jeb and I MADE we made it out of balsa and a pro stock scoop and Iam making a new one for the blower motor thats going in the saber 28 if it ever gets here. also theres more pics on second thread by me maybe 4 more. you could jump on that hatch and it weights like 30ibs .I think 3'' prop shaft will be fine with the notched transom height . I am doing the same with the konrad ace drive. art

Quick Reply: Banana Boat 24 set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.