Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea and alot of dock space too.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ30
Yea and alot of dock space too.
Thanks....What is the JJ30 for?

Back in the day the boats that ran the JJ class OPC in the APBA were the fastest out there.

Glastrons with twin outboards of the biggest horsepower made at the time.

Did you run back then in the Outboard Pleasure Craft?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No racing here. Although the thought of racing my buddy's 26 sutphen this summer might happen. He should be coming the 9th too.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes, we have 34 seasonal slips on the north side, 6 overnight transient slips with power and water, and over 400' of transient space. I added a couple fingers on the transient side so boats can back in and not take up as much space.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who don't know, CHATIM RACING on OSO is my son Charley, so if you see him chiming in here now and then, that is who it is.

He has been around boats a long time and plans on being up in Rhode Island for the run on July 9th...... to make sure I am not abusing his boat!!

After I stopped racing offshore boats, he and I raced in the IMSA Firehawk Endurance series, Sebring, Road America, Watkins Glen 24 hour race etc.
Attached Thumbnails Summer run for Bananas-c30001a.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-c30004a.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-cars0081a.jpg  

Summer run for Bananas-cm0027.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-firehawk0001a.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-cars0047.jpg  

Old 05-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Registered

Spoke to the marina manager this morning at The Cove.

I wanted him to be aware that the lunch stop will be at the end of the run and even with a slow cruise through Newport Harbor, there will be probably be two waves of boats finishing.

First of course.... will be the Banana Boats and Sutphens and Superboats and Carreras and assorted other small craft. Then....PAUSE......the big Outerlimits, Cigarettes, Fountains, Apaches,maybe even some Cigarette fish boats. Of course while the smaller boats tour Newport Harbor, we have sketched a course for the bigger boats out to Nantucket harbor and then back to Fall River. LOL No just kidding guys....you can run out front to break the water for us.

HOWEVER he did tell me that there may be a room available where we can show some old offshore racing movies that have hardly ever been seen. One is the Bahamas 500 that Aronow won in 1969. Black and white but still cool.

Some other races from the 70's and 80's courtesy of Darren Luhrs with the old Needle Nose film library. If you like them you can order a copy from Darren at Big Seas.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie , I didn't know there was a triple outboard 24 Banana . Did I read that correctly ?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tooslow
Charlie , I didn't know there was a triple outboard 24 Banana . Did I read that correctly ?
Yes it had three 2.5 Merc's on the transom.

Additional motors don't always provide what we are looking for. I was with Bobby Saccenti last Saturday in Miami and we were talking about the different boats we had built over the years. In regards to outboards, Bobby always figured 10% for the second motor back in the 80's. Meaning if you had a boat that could reach 70 MPH with one engine and you added a second engine to it, the speed usually went up 10% or 7 MPH now giving a top speed of 77 MPH.

Not sure if that works today with all the improvements in props and jack plates and lighter lay ups.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Charlie , that is an interesting formula . When I had my Banana I though about trying triple 200's . Then I figured it would upset the balance of the boat and I'm sure the original transom wasn't up for it . So I went with dual 2.4 bridgeports instead .
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Charlie the bigger guys if they want can run ocean a bit around beaver tail. Makes it a little more interesting.
Sounds like a good event. And the cove is becoming a good spot for performance boats as an outlet for many things to come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.