Notices

Stolen Spectre 30

Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Stolen Spectre 30

LEO's attitude in general here has been "It's a property theft, call your insurance co"... There is a small task force at work, but they get slammed with other work also....

Last edited by Scott B; 01-02-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rollwithit ...hit the nail on the head. Everyone assumes it's the owner.

I own heavy equipment and in all the years I've moved it or had it
moved I have never been asked if it was mine. Even been stopped by
police for roadside checks and they never once asked who owned it.
We have moved things at all times of the day and night, including
5 am.........still no questions.

I think same holds true for boats...you just assume the guy taking it
owns it. .....I do think its odd that if someone was stealing something
why would you do it on the single night of the year when the most
cops are on duty??

I also was wondering about that Cigarette.

Hope this boat turns up............keep us posted.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Francine.

Happy New Year to you and Rolph.

Hope you and Rolph find the boat.

Ken
Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 498 Likes on 227 Posts

Its a little strange to be towing a boat on New Years Eve late at night in NJ.I hope they catch the bastards and hangem by there nuts.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I despise the scum that do these things. I hope you get your boat back.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Registered

In a high crime, densly populated state like NJ, once that boat leaves a shore town like Brick undetected, it will often go unnoticed by Police. A police officer cannot stop a vehicle for no reason, since the owner probably didn't discover the boat stolen until the next day, even the suspicious officer who runs the plate, will have little indication and no probable cause to stop the boat while it's being hauled off unless some other offense is committed in his presence.

Marine Theft is HIGH PROFIT. An outboard motor will sell for more in Central and South America than it sells for new here in the states.

A $20,000 outboard can be sold with no title or any documentation whatsoever even in the states.

Only a little over 30 states title boats, and many that do title boats do not have computerized ownership records or do not retain the information for more than a year. Only a few states can access boat registration or title files through NLETS (National Law Enforcement Telecommunication System. The inability for an investigator to obtain ownership information in a timely manner makes boat theft investigation very difficult for law enforcement.

I'll keep my eyes open and print the pictures and pass them on to my colleagues here in northern NJ. I certainly hope you had theft insurance.

Another thing I'll check into tomorrow is the ports. I'll see if I can get my friend who is a Waterfront Commission Detective in Newark to circulate the photos via email, it's probably too late but worth a shot.

Last edited by at100plus; 01-02-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This totally bites

I would like to add this,
Many years ago when I first bought my boat i had dealer plates on teh boat. NO plates on the trailer for over 3 years.
One time i was hauling the boat from MN back to Havasu for some additional add-ons. This was early april. i ran out of gas in the truck at 2 am on I-35 coming into KC. I called the highway patrol asking for assistance. I wanted a gallon on gas to make it the other 5 miles to get the boat off the highway.
2 am, I am from MN, the truck is NOT mine but borrowed, no tags on the boat or trailer, bacically heading south, late night, and NO not one single question as to who what or why? Not even asking for my drivers license.

This is how caring some are.
Maybe it was the hometown MO niceness he felt good helping me out kind of deal. He awed and asked about the boat, wondering the speed cost and such. But never one ounce of thought to ask if it was mine

So yes, I can see how easy it is for people to hook up and go.
I have hauled many many boats across the states, and never been stopped or questioned.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Registered
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Well, it sure seems dismal at this point.
You guys are all real right about no one really having a reason to stop someone hauling a boat unless they are doing something really stupid. I doubt that these guys were stupid.

Even with the standard basic precautions, chains, lights, video, and locks, it still managed to get jacked.

There really has been an ovewhelming amount of support from the GSP and the locals are looking everywhere. If it went though any tolls there may be some luck in its tracks.

I hope that we can all put our heads together and get a lead on these criminals and put an end to this misery.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That really Sucks Rolf I Will Keep A Lookout On Long Island. Just Heard A Guy In Seaford With A 30 Spectre Had His Lower units Props And Stereo Stolen Right Out Of His Garage Last week. These Guys Are Scum
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
This totally bites

I wanted a gallon on gas to make it the other 5 miles to get the boat off the highway.
2 am, I am from MN, the truck is NOT mine but borrowed, no tags on the boat or trailer, bacically heading south, late night, and NO not one single question as to who what or why? Not even asking for my drivers license..

Again, police can't ask for a license or anything if there is no reasonable suspicion. Asking for a license is considered a detention and police can't detain someone who has done nothing wrong. Although marine theft is a big problem on a national level, it is not concentrated to one area, therefore, the majority of cops are not suspicious of the occasional boat that passes through their jurisdiction.

I emailed a BOLO with the pics to the members of my department. We are near Newark, so if by some chance it goes through on the way to Port Newark, it could be spotted...

I'll give my Waterfront Commission guy a shout now see what he thinks.

Last edited by at100plus; 01-03-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Stolen Spectre 30

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.