Notices

In His Own Words

Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread from the top, I'm glad I got banned from there lol.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoboater

chris what is it that you do

I own a company that sells and installs industrial lifting equipment- design and mostly sub-contract the manufacture. We do alot of installs in new construction as well as in existing facilities.

I didn't intend my comments to be insulting of you or anyone else- but they're a statement of the reality that I deal with on an ongoing basis. I don't like wastefulness and I see lots of it.

Now the people I'm running across for the most part are in-house union workers- where one person is the only person able to do something, not based on skill or ability, but on job classification. I waited 90 minutes the other day for an electrician to come and flip a switch on a controller that I did 100% of the design work on- because he was the "qualified electrician". That's wrong- and that's not something that's going to move our country forward in a changing global market. as far as the construction site people- It's astonishing to me that these people have the time to do all this standing around and watching. It's especially frustrating when it happens a week after I get cut thin on margins because "we're running tight on this job".

Lastly, my brother-in-law just retired from a GM production facility as a janitor. He made $114K last year. now, that was because he worked an incredible amount of hours- but that's because GM couldn't afford to bring on additional employees- to do so is to obligate themselves to years-long commitments to their job security and most likely a long post=employment provision of sustenance and health care. Again, not a real-world way we'll move forward as an economic power. Unions had their place in bringing the worker into livable working conditions and for that they should be applauded. But at some point, they got carried away. They're paying the price today- and they reacted so late, they may have done nothing more than ensure their own extinction. So how does that help your kids or grandkids if they choose to follow you into your trade? Short-sighted, I'd say.

In closing, I don't operate a union workforce. My guys make 2-3 times industry average. They know coming in that they'll be asked at times to move heaven & earth, day or night, weekends & holidays. They also know heaven & earth will be moved for them if they need it. My products are priced 50 to 100% higher than my competitors- but we're completely booked- simply because we're that good and that reliable. My typical customer isn't willing to take chances.

My guess is if you're as good as you come across, the union isn't why you have job or wage security
I have to agree with you on the unions...100% true IMO...I wish people could realize what has really happened, but just look at how you are booked, that will tell you that the real true American way of doing business is still alive and well. I am in a very similar situation down here.
this has been a very interesting thread so far. I hope that this "mess" is resolved soon though if that is even possible.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
After looking into these allegations myself for the last 24 hrs.I have made the decision to resign my founder member and moderator status At Serious Offshore.com.This is in no way taking sides or placing blame.
Tim Sharkey AKA Expensive Date
Hmmm, were you able to get them to remove your Mod status? I keep getting Mod notices in my e mail and I resigned as you know last Saturday.

PS, maybe we weren't all wrong huh?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Hmmm, were you able to get them to remove your Mod status? I keep getting Mod notices in my e mail and I resigned as you know last Saturday.

PS, maybe we weren't all wrong huh?
I have the same problem, and why is my name still on the Mod list?
I have to say I hate all this chit and I was very proud of what we did over there and how it was going. I wish the offer was taken and we could have gone on but all good things must come to pass, as they say.
Time will tell all and heal most but at this point I am outa here.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I have the same problem, and why is my name still on the Mod list?
I have to say I hate all this chit and I was very proud of what we did over there and how it was going. I wish the offer was taken and we could have gone on but all good things must come to pass, as they say.
Time will tell all and heal most but at this point I am outa here.
And what might that offer be? Was a buyout proposed?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MacGyver
And what might that offer be? Was a buyout proposed?

Yes...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to clarify that Chris has done nothing to me , I simply do not have time and will not be a part of the drama of lately. Boating forums are supposed to be fun and informitive and when the mud slinging starts I am done. This is my last post on the matter.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
Yes...
Finally some news behind the story. And I'm guessing Chris refused to sell?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,011 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by MacGyver
Finally some news behind the story. And I'm guessing Chris refused to sell?
Pretty good negotiation tactic on the potential buyer's behalf....drag the owners name through the mud, site traffic drops and suddenly the site is devalued and worth less.

I don't know any of the party's involved but the "sale/offer story" was told to me a few days back and it added an interesting spin to the already drama filled story.

A site like SOS had the makings to be another OSO sold to IB success story where the owners walk out with a pocket full of cash so with big sums of money comes greed/deceit and can cause normally good people to do "out of character" things.

Not picking sides and many interesting points have been brought up. Some things have been over exploited/blown way out of proportion while other issues seemed to be barely touched on (like the sale offer angle).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.