Notices

Why was SOS Formed

Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are pay sections on SOS
I think the real payout is build a huge base of members advertisers will then come and the payout is then sell to a IB type company
sites cost slot to run and free free free is not a buisness model that lasts long if advertisers don't show up
unless there are real deep pockets involved
Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve_H
I am not "in the loop" but when IB bought OSO it lost the owned by a friend and the one of us feel. SOS tried to bring that back.
That was my understanding from the get go! I don't like the turmoil that is go'n on now!!! On the brighter side, I have made a whole bunch of new friends ( on both sites) that enrich my life talk'n bout boats & dogs & laugh'n & toast'n a few!! Summers almost here, let's get the boats run'n good & have a safe & fun 2010 boat'n season w/ our fellow sport lovers!!! Tracy
Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by klaw
There are pay sections on SOS
I think the real payout is build a huge base of members advertisers will then come and the payout is then sell to a IB type company
sites cost slot to run and free free free is not a buisness model that lasts long if advertisers don't show up
unless there are real deep pockets involved
Exactly.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_H
I am not "in the loop" but when IB bought OSO it lost the owned by a friend and the one of us feel. SOS tried to bring that back.
That's right.

There were quite a few that didn't like having no idea who was behind the curtain so to speak. Also, IB just doesn't promote the site like Steve did. Steve always had parties that you could count on, some kind of giveaway, and other fun things that always kept it fresh.

I think the OSO boats, trucks, toys, etc, that Steve always had around made a difference as well. It was always so cool to see the OSO F-650 hooked up to the OSO boat at the boat shows, & to see them doing the poker runs with everyone else. The OSO Gladiator was ALWAYS a hit, no matter what part of the country, or body of water he took it to.

When all of that was gone, AND they switched to shared servers on the site, which is what causes the glitches, AND no one knew who to call or email with a password problem, or whatever else.....people realized the days of having "one of us" that owned the biggest & best boating forum were gone.

SOS was definitely an attempt to bring back that feeling if nothing else, and it worked pretty well I think. People briefly tried out other forums that had always been in the background, but those sites have a different identity that didn't mesh with the OSO crowd, so there needed to be something entirely new.

Other than the current issues with the original SOS gang, the site itself is nice. It runs smoothly, has great activity, members, and content. It's true that a lot of the content in the beginning was just copy & pasted on both sites, but I think SOS has an identity of it's own more & more now days. There's also a pretty well defined group of members that only post on one site or the other, but still many like me that like to cruise both of them. They are the only two I surf, for now
Old 04-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I went over to SOS because I was invited as a founder and mod. I really never moderated anything but liked the behind scenes action. Steve Schuble took OffshoreOnly to the top and I'll always consider him a good friend. I've been on here for almost 10 years and plan on viewing and posting on both sites.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BLee
That's right.

There were quite a few that didn't like having no idea who was behind the curtain so to speak. Also, IB just doesn't promote the site like Steve did. Steve always had parties that you could count on, some kind of giveaway, and other fun things that always kept it fresh.

I think the OSO boats, trucks, toys, etc, that Steve always had around made a difference as well. It was always so cool to see the OSO F-650 hooked up to the OSO boat at the boat shows, & to see them doing the poker runs with everyone else. The OSO Gladiator was ALWAYS a hit, no matter what part of the country, or body of water he took it to.

When all of that was gone, AND they switched to shared servers on the site, which is what causes the glitches, AND no one knew who to call or email with a password problem, or whatever else.....people realized the days of having "one of us" that owned the biggest & best boating forum were gone.

SOS was definitely an attempt to bring back that feeling if nothing else, and it worked pretty well I think. People briefly tried out other forums that had always been in the background, but those sites have a different identity that didn't mesh with the OSO crowd, so there needed to be something entirely new.

Other than the current issues with the original SOS gang, the site itself is nice. It runs smoothly, has great activity, members, and content. It's true that a lot of the content in the beginning was just copy & pasted on both sites, but I think SOS has an identity of it's own more & more now days. There's also a pretty well defined group of members that only post on one site or the other, but still many like me that like to cruise both of them. They are the only two I surf, for now
That's really what I wanted to say!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a quick couple of comments RE: the "WHY" question.
Besides some of the IB, tech issues, many felt that a boating community or site needs or should be managed by boaters.
Boaters are a specialy family. Case in point.. most racers race for the love of the sport, and not for the $.
Furthermore, SOS started to avoid all the BS what's has been happening "here" You WILL NOT see anything like the BS threads going around for weeks, on SOS. IB is laughing all day becouse of all the posts. SOS generates good conversations and friendships, and not BS backed revenues for a conglomerate.
Many members visit both sites and other. Different atmosphere for different paople. Dissagreements are everywhere. Keep it civil, debate, make your point, argue, whatever, but no insults or personnal attackes on SOS. YOu can't be civil,? you can and will be asked to go somewhere else. SOS was created for boating related venues. Debates are welcomed. BS is not tolerated. You want DRAMA? and a chat room like environment?... for childish games?? It's not at SOS.
And for the record... many, probobly most members at SOS are die hard boaters. Many still visit many sites. Some call SOS home.. some call some other sites home. OSO was one of the best sites around for a long time. Even with all the BS, and many of us were able to ignore the BS. However. NOT ONCE anyone at SOS wished any harm or a failure to OSO. (there are lot of posts to that) Many, including the "four" has spent a lot of hours and resources on SOS.
I will be blount and speak for all SOS members in this case. Many were die hard OSO members and we, (I) started the unternet boating cummunity here. No one wishes anyting negative for OSO. For what I seen, (not in the past few weeks, though...) OSO made some good efforts.
I wish the best success to OSO and I wil do my part for the cont. success of SOS. WE all have a choice of where to go and spend our key board time.
I rather go boating, and in that thought, I got boat work to do.

Happy boating everyone.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Give it time all the bs will start
it's the natural progression of Internet based buisness
you will get the kids selling fake rolexes and the Fred Cecils of the world as the site gets bigger

sooner or later money has to be raised that's why I am a charter member atOSO a offer was made to the first 200 to chip in and never pay again
I would have done the same at SOS but I wasn't one of the in crowd

So enjoy the utopia it won't last forever which is a shame but it's not even put of it's infancy and it's embroiled in controversy of financial impropriety
Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered

Founders, Mods, Creaters need to rise above all the BS drama. That seems to be an issue on both sites I think.

1. FREE never works. Who is going to pay for the maintance of the site, software, hardware.

2. Both sites are plagued with people that have no common sense, no life, and no reason to post the stuff that they do.

3. Get real - If someone posts a real question they deserve a real answer. Ex. "I have a 30k budget and want a 25-27 foot boat. Any suggestions?" - Answer "For another 50k you can buy my 35."

4. The economy is ****, everyone is boating on a budget and enjoy what they have. Everyone deserves to have a place to ask questions and congregate without being ganged up on my the OSO or SOS people. Just because you have a T-shirt and walked around the Miami Boat show doesnt mean that you are an expert in performance boating. Get over yourself.

5. I have had alot of business dealings in my young life, and I assure you that just because someone hides behind FREE or Non-Profit does not mean that there is no money being made....and no one starts anything with the idea to lose money.

6. Things need to get back to friendly boating - it would be much better. I for one am running out of space on the "Ill knock your teeth out and hairpiece off old man" list.

Just ramblings of a young man.....2cents.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the origonal topic, it happened before my time, only been on the sites for a short time, but I like them both. Different feel, but both good in their own way. I was spending more time there than here because I was having issues here with slow speeds etc. but has gotten a bit better. Some good folks on both sites, and some a-holes but thats just life, or any group of more than 2 people lol. Great resources for a someone fairly new to performance boating like myself. Its now part of my daily routine to browse both sites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.