Notices

Lawyer in Ontario?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lawyer in Ontario?

I purchased a used boat this summer from a dealer in Ontario. It was presented as "turn key" and "needs nothing", clean survey completed, showing no big surprises. Readers digest condensed version, after replacing all (4)of the bad exhaust manifolds, as well as an overspeed module, two weeks after I received it, sorting out this, as well as misc other items, I find out my "turn key" boat really needed about $9000 worth of work, which I would like to recover.
Dealer is totally uncoperative and refuses to do anything.
Is anyone familiar with an attorney in Ontario that does this small $ type litigation? Is the process any different from the US? Is it really worth the time and or effort in your opinion?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snake dance
I purchased a used boat this summer from a dealer in Ontario. It was presented as "turn key" and "needs nothing", clean survey completed, showing no big surprises. Readers digest condensed version, after replacing all (4)of the bad exhaust manifolds, as well as an overspeed module, two weeks after I received it, sorting out this, as well as misc other items, I find out my "turn key" boat really needed about $9000 worth of work, which I would like to recover.
Is anyone familiar with an attorney in Ontario that does this small $ type litigation? Is the process any different from the US? Is it really worth the time and or effort in your opinion?
It's probably not worth pursuing. If Ontario has a version of the American small claims court, and you want to handle it that way, that's one option, but anything else probably won't be worth it. An attorney is not likely going to take the case on a consignment basis, where he gets a percentage of the winnings. If you pay the attorney hourly it will likely cost more than what you would recover anyhow.

I don't know how much you involved the dealer in replacing the items that were allegedly "bad," but if you didn't involve them at all you're likely going to have to have your "experts" go to Canada and testify there. It will cost way too much at the end of the day.

Where did you complete the sale, and how did you go about purchasing it? Done the right way you should be able to sue them here.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, you purchesed your boat from London Ont at Kennedys auto marine right.

I live in London and have Delt with him before.

Your not the first guy this has happened to and i have a buddy that was able to get a lot of cost back.

PM me and ill get you the info who to call
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

this can go alot of diff ways depending on what steps u took.....my 1st ? would be was there a survey done?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Len,
Pmd you Thanks for any help.
Scott
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Len,
Pmd you Thanks for any help.
Scott
Sorry been busy last few days ill P.M you
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

i at one time was a high performance dealer in ont.you probably have more recourse than you think.the representaion of the boat before you bought it is the key.it falls under claimed advertising.ie you were told something verbally,and that same item was mentioned in the ad.the dealer is obligated to replace to your standards.and i also know a couple of lawyers that do this work.let me know if i can help
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you live in Maryland and you are pursuing court action in my province, for 9000.00 you will end up trading $$ getting it resolved in my opinion.
That $$ amount falls under Small Claims Court status.

By the time the dealer jerks you around with appearances , your lawyers fees and travel costs will equal your settlement.

Our system will nauseate you to no end.

BUT if you arent going to enjoy your money then no one else should.

Remember ....GOOGLE is for life. Got it ??

What did you say the name of the company was that cheated you ??
Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Registered

I just moved to the US from Ontario. I use Lerners LLP in London ON and they can be reached at www.lerners.ca. I also have a very good friend who owns a marina and is a licensed surveyor/Merc mechanic who has travelled around doing surveys for me. He is quite familiar with Kennedy. If you require any further assistance please PM me.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered

I came very close to buying a boat there last spring but somebody beat me to it. I was looking at the Wellcraft LXC; What did you buy?