Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
American Yacht Sales, Dickinson, TX - BEWARE! >

American Yacht Sales, Dickinson, TX - BEWARE!

Notices

American Yacht Sales, Dickinson, TX - BEWARE!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Yacht Sales, Dickinson, TX - BEWARE!

Worst marine industry people I have ever done business with. After the he!! they put me thru during the actual purchase of a boat, they just charged me to fix a trailer they sold me that was supposed to be roadworthy but it had bad wiring and didn't make it 29 miles before burning up some bearings.

It was such a simple lesson to learn: get everything in writing, no matter what the sales guy or the manager say. Makes me feel even more stupid for letting it happen to me.

These guys run a terrible business and I would never do business with them again.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned

In this day&age anybody buying anything should be treated like GOLD!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are holding back details in an attempt to soften the blow, don't....cause it doesn't, it actually makes it worse in some cases.

This is the beware section, share with us the details!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BumSauce
It was such a simple lesson to learn: get everything in writing, no matter what the sales guy or the manager say.

I wish everyone would learn this well. In contract law the "four corners" rule ALWAYS prevails. Very simply put, if it is not written within the four corners of the document it doesn't exist, period.
Slicksters would have to go get a job robbing people somewhere else if buyers would hold to this.

Also, hand written additions on a contract, TRUMPS any printed portions or forms. ALWAYS! Another thing to remember.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

I bought a boat from them 3 years ago, I agree, that are not good people to do bussiness with. I drove 15 hours to get the boat, then called to tell them we might be a little late, may be a half hour, (got caught in traffic), this was on Friday, they said we close at 5:00 sharp, if you are not here, you will have to wait till Monday, because we are closed on the weekend. Then, when I get there, the boat was not checked out mechanically as agreed, and conditon was not as described, skegs on drives were damaged, and there was gel coat damage. We renegotiated the price, so I had a cashiers check for the original amount, ( they had already called my bank to verify it was good), so they needed to give me back $3,000.00, said we will have to send you a check, and they also did not have the title. I waited 3 weeks for the check to arrive, it did not, so I called them, well the lady who sends the checks out has been on vacation, but we'll send it out to today, but if you want it, other than regular mail, we can send it over night for $50.00, wtf ?. The owner, or his son, neither one, were very nice, or friendly. Not to even talk about about all the fees they add on, for evey little thing they can think up. I would never buy a boat from them again.

Last edited by 427 larry; 06-27-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Club Drew
In this day&age anybody buying anything should be treated like GOLD!
you'd think that, but as soon as they received a higher backup offer, they tried to sabotoge/get out of my contract. not being able to provide paperwork, saying they can't work with my bank, having trouble with the coast guard documents, acting like it's the first time they've ever sold a boat and then saying this is the way they've been doing business for 15 years.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
I wish everyone would learn this well. In contract law the "four corners" rule ALWAYS prevails. Very simply put, if it is not written within the four corners of the document it doesn't exist, period.
Slicksters would have to go get a job robbing people somewhere else if buyers would hold to this.

Also, hand written additions on a contract, TRUMPS any printed portions or forms. ALWAYS! Another thing to remember.

There were two issues that I didn't get in writing:

1. In the purchase agreement there was a date to close by (June 17th, a Friday), as we approached that day I said something to the sales guy and he said 'as long as we are moving forward, we don't need to worry about it'. What he was actually saying is 'as long as we are moving forward under our terms, don't worry about it'. My bank was ready to close on Monday, June 20th pending AYS could get one or two docs to them. They didn't come so planned to close on Tuesday the 21st. I got a call Tuesday around 11am from AYS saying the deal is dead and they weren't going to work with my bank, and since the contract had expired they could sell it to their backup offer. After about an hour of discussions I was able to convince AYS and my bank to work together, but you could tell AYS didn't want to. We closed that evening and the wire was sent the next morning. LESSON: get contract extensions in writing.

2. The GM/owner/boss (I'm not sure what his title is) said they had a trailer that fit the boat perfect and would 'have someone look over it, clean it up and get it ready for sale'. Apparently that only means replacing the carpeting on the bunks because it has bad wiring, bad brakes, and hub seals that leak so two sets of hubs have already burned up. LESSON: get all work the dealer is supposed to do itemized in writing.

These seem like such simple things and I'm an idiot for letting them get past me, but thru the whole process everything was 'no problem, we'll take care of that' or 'everything is going smoothly on our end' and really they just wanted to get the most money they could without doing any work and if I didn't want to play ball they had backup offers that would.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh-boy.....where do I begin?

AYS....forking disater, spoiled little kids working for mommy and daddy, this place is a SCAM!

I helped my buddy buy a 42 Carver. Things started to go SOUTH when he was told he had to use their services to down rig the boat and set it on a trailer to ship it over to Clear Lake (3 miles away) at $2500 CASH ONLY---no credit cards or checks!

The $2500 cash was just to remove the arch, take down some other stuff, and the "crane" to put it on a tractor trailer, they wanted to move the boat--but we hired a REPUTABLE moving company...long story short the "kids" didn't down rig the boat and now they had his money and he owned a boat sitting in a pond in TExas with no way to get at it. My buddy had to pay a trucking company a "wait fee" while they down rigged the boat at a snails pace! They had a WEEK! and it took TWO WEEKS!

This place is so forking bad! The "Dad" employed his kids (son and daughter) which basically could not wipe there own azz if they tried. The Banks should be notified how bad this place is and how they SCAM every $$$$ they can! Once you pay for the boat you are SCREWED because they will SCAM you at every turn, overcharge you for everythinng...ie Docs, etc, FEDEX charges, you name it!

I wil BAD MOUTH THEM at every turn and NEVER RECOMMEND THEM EVER!!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

American Yacht Sales GOOD COMPANY!

Hey guys - I have bought several boats over the years from these guys and I have had a great experience. They were VERY busy when I last went in and bought so I had to wait my turn (so to speak) but they were polite, honest and upfront about everything. They helped me with all of my paperwork. Maybe management has changed since you all went in. I bought in February of 2012 and then also in October 2010. Both times, good experience. Don't count them out. Give them another chance. I wouldn't be posting something like this on the internet if I did not really believe it. They do lots of business there (you can tell by the volume of customers they have) and they can't make everyone happy. I would use them again. Just sayin....
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm.... First post on this site is defending scum bags that no one else has had a smooth experience with? Gee this doesn't sound like an employee, friend, or owner at all......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.