Notices

Whos a good Lawyer

Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I say drag the owner of the boat and the broker into court and let them duke it out on their side as to who was responsible for selling you a boat with blown motors.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts

How does replacing two rockers cost $11k????!!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my understanding the 2 rockers that broke were replaced by the previous owner. The $11K is to fix the current issue that the new owner is having.

What is exactly wrong with the motor now for the $11K bill? Did the motor ever fire for the buyer?

Last edited by ealesh33; 03-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
From my understanding the 2 rockers that broke were replaced by the previous owner. The $11K is to fix the current issue that the new owner is having.

What is exactly wrong with the motor now for the $11K bill? Did the motor ever fire for the buyer?
The one/two rockers that broke when I owned it were in the PORT motor after the first full rebuild I paid for and were warranted by the manufacturer/builder. The BUYER says that two rockers were broke in the STBD motor. BTW....I also had the valve lash adjusted late season prior to the sale as well and of course, at that time, there were no issues.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

Sometimes the deal is too good to be true from both ends. Seller is excited to move boat. Buyer is getting a good enough deal to purchase sight unseen.

Seller needs to slow down and say come run the boat. Buyer needs to consider what he is doing.

I sold my boat sight unseen, with aftermarket power to an OSO member. I think I was as nervous as he was. Until he called and started sending pictures, I was very uneasy. How would I know that he didn't have the oil changed or engines serviced before running it. How would I know if they put 8 qts. of oil in rather than the 14 qts. it held? That would make for a quick first trip if it left the trailer.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
The one/two rockers that broke when I owned it were in the PORT motor after the first full rebuild I paid for and were warranted by the manufacturer/builder. The BUYER says that two rockers were broke in the STBD motor. BTW....I also had the valve lash adjusted late season prior to the sale as well and of course, at that time, there were no issues.
So I am correct, $11k to change two rockers?? That is very out of line if it is. If I were the seller I would buy the two rockers and pay a couple hours labor to change them. That is more than fair I would think.

Last edited by 302Sport; 03-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the seller has an issue, HE needs to come on here and respond, not RAF.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Eddie, I am sorry man I have to disagree with you, unless you advertised the boat with a blown motor, you didn't represent the boat 100% correct. You may have represented it to the best of your knowledge, but not knowing a motor is blown on a boat you are selling as fully functional is no excuse, and from my understanding you didn't represent the boat with a blown motor. I personally steer clear from brokers, as the boats I looked at that were with brokers they didn't have a clue about the boat, was just trying to sell. This story right here reinforces that to me. If the facts are correct that the boat arrived to the buyer with a blown motor and the broker advertised and sold the boat as running condition, I hope the broker is made liable for all repairs and all buyers court and lawyer fees. Maybe then brokers will understand that representing a boat and selling it has liability to it. I like the way the one guy runs his consignments, boat must be checked prior to taking on the boat to sell. Too many dishonest people in this world that want other people to pay for their screw ups. It seems pretty simple to me, If i owned a brokerage it would be required that a complete survey and test done on the boat prior to me agreeing to take it on. I just don't understand how you can sell something to someone describing it one way, and then take no responsibility when it isn't even close to the way it was represented. The "We didn't know" response will not gain you any business, and will definitely lose you business.
I can respect your opinion. I said we didn't know the motor was bad in response to the remarks "we knowingly sold a boat with a bad motor and towed it" . I don't know when the lifters broke, they could of broke when they started working on the motor and ran the boat in OH. All I know for sure is the last time the boat was ran by the seller & it was winterized by a mechanic no one noticed any issues with it.

Originally Posted by t500hps
6 figure boat bought by a guy that did not come see the boat, did not come pick-up the boat, and "trusted" a stranger as to it's condition........

Sorry, I gotta place blame there.

Some years ago I agreed to buy a $50K boat 1,000 miles away that I couldn't go see. I spent almost $700 getting a survey/sea trail/mechanical inspection (which are not included in surveys!) done........promptly decline to buy the POS due to what was found. For under $1,000 the buyer could have had plenty of leverage or saved a bunch of cash.
I sell a handful of boats each year the sellers never see until delivered, buyers are busy and I understand that.

The buyer definitely didn't do the things he needed to do, no doubt. But with these things happening and the selling party has no responsibility its just going to get worse.

I do have a few questions though, and things I always asked when looking at a boat. How long was this boat for sale? Was there anyone else that was interested to the point where they had a survey done?
The boat was for sale for about a year, it was ran the entire time it was for sale. No survey's or mechanical inspections were done while I had it listed.

Originally Posted by 302Sport
How does replacing two rockers cost $11k????!!
So I am correct, $11k to change two rockers?? That is very out of line if it is. If I were the seller I would buy the two rockers and pay a couple hours labor to change them. That is more than fair I would think.
No two lifters are broke and I'm told the intercooler is leaking out the back. The estimate involved are to go thru the entire motor.

Let me ask this question to the OSO community: At what time, do you feel, does the responsibility of the purchase transfer to the buyer on a brokered boat?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Sorry, Eddie just said lifters and I previously said rockers. I'd go with what Eddie said as I misspoke. Again, no intent to mislead just flat out wrong with my info.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by eddie

Let me ask this question to the OSO community: At what time, do you feel, does the responsibility of the purchase transfer to the buyer on a brokered boat?
Legally or morally?? I think in this situation the repair should be split 50/50. But the cost should be controlled and only the parts that are junk are replaced. If the new owner wants to totally rebuild the motor then anything above the original cost comes out of the buyers pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.