Notices

Whos a good Lawyer

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
The one/two rockers that broke when I owned it were in the PORT motor after the first full rebuild I paid for and were warranted by the manufacturer/builder. The BUYER says that two rockers were broke in the STBD motor. BTW....I also had the valve lash adjusted late season prior to the sale as well and of course, at that time, there were no issues.
Ok so the motor isn't toast then?, it needs lifters replaced just like the port motor did?. Would it be possible to get these covered under warranty like the other 2? If so the buyer can just have the broken lifters pulled, and you can get them warrantied like the last ones through your engine builder. You said when it happened in the other motor you had to pay for everything except for the lifters as they were replaced by manufacturer, so thats what he would have to do as well. Not your fault if it is a manufacture defect, but helping him get them replaced warranty wise is something I definitely would do.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Yea it does seem like there is no bad dealings here, just seems like some bad luck. I do stand by what I said about if a broker is going to sell a boat they should protect their interests by doing their own checking before taking on the contract to sell. Like i said before doesn't have to be a full blown survey and mechanical tear down. A good look over to make sure everything functions the way it should, run the boat if they can, if not run it on the hose, put in gear etc...Then mandatory the seller should have to pay to have boat compression and leakdown tested. I think that is pretty easy to accomplish, cheap to do it, and can save the broker alot of headache. Obviously buyer should still always do there own checking, but atleast the broker has paperwork personally backing the boats condition. This may take an hour of the brokers time, and maybe $100 of the sellers money that could be written in that it is refunded once the boat sells.

Eddie, I wasn't trying to attack your character as i don't know you. I just know that when i looked at 2 different boats at a brokerage I got a ton of "I don't know" responses to alot of questions. I have heard good things about your company a few others.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first i'm sorry for all the partys involved, this sucks, BUT just wow. it kills me that people on here are soo stupid that they think everyone should have a crystal ball. this is a USED boat for god sakes! WTF is wrong with some one for buying a used boat with out checking it out, I don't care if Jesus himself is selling it, you as a buyer don't do your home work your a moron plain and simple.

marine usage is the MOST stress an engine can be put under. THE BUYER HAS THE FULL RESONSABILITY TO SURVEY AND INSPECT THE BOAT. if they had, this whole deal could have been avoided. hell the buyer might have got a boat with new motors or leveraged for a way better price and come out smelling like a rose!

anybody under the sun that buys anything mechanical that's used and doesn't have it inspected to the best of their ability gets what they pay for plain and simple. you spend this much money and don't do a sea trail, don't pop to at least have the motors run on a hose and rewinterized?! holy cow, really?! if the buyer has been though this before with trucking or what ever, and didn't learn... I don't even need to go on..

the whole idea of someone wanting to sue others cause they were stupid is well beyond me.

Last edited by nxfirebird; 03-05-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 641 Likes on 300 Posts

Welcome to the world of High performance-

I could write a Long book about what I had to do to my CIG. Suck it up- Lawyers are just gonna use up more $ that will still have to go into the boat.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most on here..if some buys a boat and it blows up 10 min after they put it in the water, there is nothing anyone could do to predict that in most cases. But ya don't need a crystal ball to know the motor is bad when ya list it. If that's the case someone knew something. The whole deal is bad on all ends. I feel Ed was trying to make all party's happy and got cought in the mix... My point is. Most people that deal with boat dealerships to get that warm fuzzy feeling that they are better at this than the buying and selling party is. In the end if the years of boat exsperence that the broke has is nothing but listing it..... Your just well searching E-bay and Craigslist. You will save a few bucks.

The biggest thing I'm having a hard time understanding is, how did this one small question not get asked " how's the boat run?" Sheesh I ask guys that at the dock when I see a cool boat and I'm not buying anything from them. I would for sure think the broke would inquire about that befor listing it... And damn sure think the buyer would ask. Let me ask you this how would you feel if you shelled out $1,000 to get a servey and found out the thing was obviously bad and the sell was covering it up. I'm sure you would be happy ya didn't buy it. But you would still be out 1,000 bucks that should have just been disclosed. I'm no lawyer and I would get one on retainer befor doing this .... But drop that boat off at the dealer and file suit. Have him go to the bank and get court order to out a hold on the amount of $$$ ya paid for the boat so it can't be moved
. I'm willing to bet that the seller would start to offer some help right after that. I say all this be course the boat was not as perceived upon delivery. Someone had to know something.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
With 1000hp blower motors what's the chance of finding a surveyor that would touch these engines and what would it cost ?
My boat is nowhere near a 6 figure boat but it did come from the factory with 525SC's, Baja Marine installed chillers beneath the blowers, smaller pulleys, and extension boxes.
I negotiated the purchase contract in January a few years ago for a TEAM MERC service center mechanical survey on the powerplants and outdrives in which they will remover the blowers and perform a leakdown and change oil, then reinstall, Dewinterize, do leakdown, compression, startup, and engage drives forward and reverse, all at my expense, then after passing these an accredited marine surveyor wil perform a survey and a seatrial, also at my expense.
I waited until the last week of May for ice out at Lake Winnisepauki, NH before these tests could be performed.
There were issues that were unaware to the seller (baby pencilhead blisters below the freeboard) The surveyor noted these in his report and it was a deal breaker unless the price was conceded to the averaged price of the 3 fiberglass company's in Houston which specialize in boat repairs for the service. The seller was 73, bought the boat for his retirement to motor the kids and grandkids around the lake. She was delivered to the mans dock at his summer lake house by valet service for Memorial Day weekend and left in the water tied off for 3 months every summer until Tuesday after Labor Day when it was valeted back to indoor storage . He never saw or knew about them, and when questioned the storage marina said "we store over 1000 boats indoors and don't look at them we just winterize them and stack 'em" She was 15 years in a row for 3 months in contact with water.
I had the opportunity to take delivery any time I chose to but I could not have performed a seatrial until after ice out. I waited a long time before this was possible but exercised patience knowing it wasn't worth the risk of being hasty.
There's absolutely NO WAY I'd take a boat of the caliber of the transaction in question by making hasty decisions just so as to get her home quickly into my possesion. There's just way way to much risk.

Any boat of any size, regardless of power is surveyable.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This situation does suck. Buyer beware. But it does not matter if it is a 100k or more boat or a 9k boat. The seller might not have known that engine was going to blow up?? Buyer should have checked it out more.

I purchased my boat 4 years ago (for $9500.00) with a rebuilt engine with only 7-10hrs on it (and I have the receipts for the rebuild from the guy I purchased the boat from). Sea trial and everything went perfect. Two weeks after I purchased the boat that engine blew and dropped a valve. Did I call the guy I purchased the boat from?? Or the engine builder. NO. I sucked it up and built a new engine myself.

It's a performance boat, suck up this repair and be prepared for many more expensive repairs while you own it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buying a boat with a1000hp engines with out going on a sea trial is not very smart,selling a boat with a 1000hp engines without taking them on a sea trial is not very smart either,see what you can end up with.Big hp marine engines break all the time and are always a key turn away from a major repair,no secret,when i sell a boat with no warranty i make the owner come down and hear the engines run and take them on a sea trial,once they are happy with the product i make them sign an agreement that the product has been inspected and sold as is with no warranty only way to sell a used product in my book,they should work out the deal between the 3 of them the lawyers are only going to cost everyone more money in the long run my 02
Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm just amazed someone bought it without having a thorough test done (compression/leakdown/seatrial/survey, etc.). If the boat had a set of 496HO's, that's one thing but a boat with 1100's with 16-71 huffers & Dominators is a whole other ballgame. It's a ****ty situation but the buyer should have had a reputable shop that had no affiliation with the boat properly go over it like Performance Boat Center or NautiMarine before purchasing it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm glad my whole boat cost less than one of those 16-71 blowers

Must be nice to spend 6 figures and then have the money to hire a lawyer for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.