Beware of smiths in Joplin >

Beware of smiths in Joplin

Notices

Beware of smiths in Joplin

Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not picking anyones side here. I have not seen any current offerings in person from them since the passing of Brad. I did in the past work on some of the boats back then that ended up in my area and even passing thru my area..

Anyways I know they are still operating daily currently -- with that said is this a one case or 2 or common issues with the current owners ? Have no idea any company using bad practices how can they operate and have business daily regardless whom they are ? Bad biz practices catches up after a while with all.

So there is other people experiencing issues with the current operators of SP ? Again I am not on anyones side here.

Last edited by BUP; 04-17-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called about taking my boat in- stock 502 MPI. Hard starts like vapor lock but does it hot or cold but it is intermittent. Asked if they could put a reader on it and they didn't have one. ( I understand it is/was more of a custom build shop). Told me to bring it by and they would check it out. Guy on the phone said " Bob is standing here and heard what you said, he said it is prob the injectors". When I asked what his plan was, it was to replace the injectors and go from there.
I couldn't bring myself to drop it off and have them start throwing parts at it until they found the problem. My 2 cents
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mallatt442
I called about taking my boat in- stock 502 MPI. Hard starts like vapor lock but does it hot or cold but it is intermittent. Asked if they could put a reader on it and they didn't have one. ( I understand it is/was more of a custom build shop). Told me to bring it by and they would check it out. Guy on the phone said " Bob is standing here and heard what you said, he said it is prob the injectors". When I asked what his plan was, it was to replace the injectors and go from there.
I couldn't bring myself to drop it off and have them start throwing parts at it until they found the problem. My 2 cents
Turns out, after poking around in the engine compartment a little, the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator had come off. Put it back and she fires right up like she should. All for less
than a set of injectors......
Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

just like up here with all others explaining their running issues. very hard to give pin point answers and without testing and proper procedures one can only guess. Plus many leave out alot important info to even get help.

With that said if one works on 100 s of boats per year then it is possible to get some boats fixed without looking at them in person as throwing out the most common possibilities for the issue(s). In your case you could never pin point one exact item(s) for the issue(s) without looking at it in person, I always tell boat owners over the phone if I only had that crystal ball to fix your app without seeing it in person would nt that be magical. Some get it but many do not. Most people call for a fix over phone or use the forums rather than setting up an appointment for repairs.

The latest current marine technology will be putting an end to that - boat owners better find a great tech and keep that person. The days running to the auto store for parts and the owner fixing their apps are over with because of the latest technology. . Just like it has with high end autos the owner is unable to fix their latest truck or auto offering. Service centers are loving it as well as the manu s.. .

for your app --- My first reply would have been fuel pressure testing and gas sampling to see if that would point to an issue in hand then move forward from there. Anyways possible check your spark plugs might need to be changed out. ???

I have not seen anything nor engines from the new ownership out and about on the waters nor even passing by .
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Registered

Awesome story!