Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Head On Pass - Freaked Out >

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Notices

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago I was going into devil cove. A boat was headed out. I cut to the right, he cuts to the right, I cut to left, he cut to left, I go back right and he goes to the right. By now my wife is screaming in my ear. I cut a sharp right and he then passes me to the left. Why is the normal reaction not to go right when you are in a head course?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquaman41
What is a DCB?? Deckboat?

DCB = Dave's Custom Boats http://www.dcbracing.com/
Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, it amazes me that the simple "rules of the road" are so often overlooked. If you treat the waterway just like any roadway and always stay to the right, many of these potential head-ons could be avoided. But, you did do the right thing, change course to starboard, even though you were about as far to the right as you could get.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Man, it amazes me that the simple "rules of the road" are so often overlooked. If you treat the waterway just like any roadway and always stay to the right, many of these potential head-ons could be avoided. But, you did do the right thing, change course to starboard, even though you were about as far to the right as you could get.
This particular corner is a little strange - you need to avoid the shallow water (which is really shallow) so you find yourself drifting into the middle of a 90 degree turn that you otherwise would be hugging the right side of for "rules of the road", and on the other side of the turn there is a wide navigation area where boats are all headed for the turn you are exiting only your enterance is from a narrow area and traffic on the other side is, once again, very wide.

All of this can be overcome by slowing down

GR
Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bidpro
This particular corner is a little strange - you need to avoid the shallow water (which is really shallow) so you find yourself drifting into the middle of a 90 degree turn that you otherwise would be hugging the right side of for "rules of the road", and on the other side of the turn there is a wide navigation area where boats are all headed for the turn you are exiting only your enterance is from a narrow area and traffic on the other side is, once again, very wide.

All of this can be overcome by slowing down

GR
Agreed BP. There are these unique areas in many waterways and, you're correct, reducing speed will solve many of the problems associated with them. I just see plenty of people in our local area that have no idea to stay to the right. Dangerous deal when you are coming around a turn and find someone coming dead at you. Scary stuff.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

When I see someone coming my direction and can't figure out what the H*#ll they're doing I'll exagerate my turn to starboard showing them my port side. Hopefully they get the picture as to my intended course and pass without incident.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

I think you did as well as any of us would, but I would also add that if it was me I would have waved my arm/s to get his attention and then I would make my intent clear as to where I was going and see if I could get him to show me his intent by pointing or something. Now if he was drinking, forget about waving your arms, it probably wouldn't have helped.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

70 MPH is way to fast for that corner. People do it all the time but are asking for it. Its sharp, narrow, shallow, and one of the most dangerous (probably most dangerous) corners on the river. My 2 cents.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
About a month ago I was going into devil cove. A boat was headed out. I cut to the right, he cuts to the right, I cut to left, he cut to left, I go back right and he goes to the right. By now my wife is screaming in my ear. I cut a sharp right and he then passes me to the left. Why is the normal reaction not to go right when you are in a head course?
He was from Europe?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

It's funny no one mentioned using your horn. According to California Boating Law, either boat should signal their intention to go starboard with one short blast, with the other doing the same as confirmation.
Michael

Quick Reply: Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.