Head On Pass - Freaked Out >

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Notices

Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head On Pass - Freaked Out

I have to post as I am still a little freaked out from a near miss at Lake Havasu this week. I keep going over the situation and wondering what I should have done differently so that everything didnt get so darn close.

Boating up the river towards a 90 degree right turn just prior to the sandbar. Not many people on the river at this time. The inside of the turn is a very shallow sandbar, so I am trying to stay as close to the right as I can without being over the very shallow water. I am going fast (~70mph). As I approached the turn another boater is approaching the turn from the other way, directly head on.

Still with plenty of time to react, I pulled back on the throttle and made a very deliberate increase in my turning angle to the right. Immediately after I tighten my turn, he veers to his left so we are still head on. I am concerned at this point and turn as hard right as I feel comfortable without pitching my singlestep boat over - to the point of one pretty good jerk. I am now over very shallow water, probably in the sand if I come off plane. He never reduces speed (hard to tell how fast as he was coming head on, but 50+) and finally stops turning left into me and straightens out to miss my boat by 2-3 boat widths.

He had a few hundred feet to pass on my left, his right but decided to try to cut the corner and pass on my right. WTF!? It was late in the day, maybe he was drunk? I don't know, but cannot stop going over this in my head.

Any thoughts on how to minimize the risk of this in the future? In a headon pass like this is there any reason for us to pass on each other's right hand side?

I just kept thinking that as soon as I changed my turn from right to left, he would come out of his stupor and veer right into me. Sorry for the ramble, this is just the first close call I have had in 11 years of boating.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

It happens. I find this is not a strange occurance to have a boat that is heading towards you to turn in the same direction as you. Aside from everybody knowing the rules of waterway navigation, as per what side to pass on and who gives way to whom, its a crapshoot every time. Usually I try to make my intentions very clear such as you. But, if they are idiotic, they can still keep turning the same way as you. I do always give the bigger boats the leeway and just head the opposite direction of them.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aquaman41
I have to post as I am still a little freaked out from a near miss at Lake Havasu this week. I keep going over the situation and wondering what I should have done differently so that everything didnt get so darn close.

Boating up the river towards a 90 degree right turn just prior to the sandbar. Not many people on the river at this time. The inside of the turn is a very shallow sandbar, so I am trying to stay as close to the right as I can without being over the very shallow water. I am going fast (~70mph). As I approached the turn another boater is approaching the turn from the other way, directly head on.

Still with plenty of time to react, I pulled back on the throttle and made a very deliberate increase in my turning angle to the right. Immediately after I tighten my turn, he veers to his left so we are still head on. I am concerned at this point and turn as hard right as I feel comfortable without pitching my singlestep boat over - to the point of one pretty good jerk. I am now over very shallow water, probably in the sand if I come off plane. He never reduces speed (hard to tell how fast as he was coming head on, but 50+) and finally stops turning left into me and straightens out to miss my boat by 2-3 boat widths.

He had a few hundred feet to pass on my left, his right but decided to try to cut the corner and pass on my right. WTF!? It was late in the day, maybe he was drunk? I don't know, but cannot stop going over this in my head.

Any thoughts on how to minimize the risk of this in the future? In a headon pass like this is there any reason for us to pass on each other's right hand side?

I just kept thinking that as soon as I changed my turn from right to left, he would come out of his stupor and veer right into me. Sorry for the ramble, this is just the first close call I have had in 11 years of boating.
I have been around that exact turn hundreds of times. Trying to avoid the shallow part really does decrease the width of the navagable area - 70MPH seems pretty fast to me for that turn, I can run 140 plus and I generally slow down to probably 35 to 40 for that turn.

I suspect you coould take it at 70, but a simple suggestion would be take it at 35, then you could come compeltly off of plane which might be safer than continuing in a forward direction and changing to a slower speed.

Glad you did not have an incident
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aquaman, I feel your frustration. This scenario happens at LOTO a thousand times a day. Everyone tries to cut the corners no matter which direction they're going. I really don't get it. Approaching the party cove they even have placed bouys to keep right and some still go on the wrong side. All I can suggest is to be as defensive as possible in those areas.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bidpro
I have been around that exact turn hundreds of times. Trying to avoid the shallow part really does decrease the width of the navagable area - 70MPH seems pretty fast to me for that turn, I can run 140 plus and I generally slow down to probably 35 to 40 for that turn.

I suspect you coould take it at 70, but a simple suggestion would be take it at 35, then you could come compeltly off of plane which might be safer than continuing in a forward direction and changing to a slower speed.

Glad you did not have an incident
Thanks for the replies.... I was going a little quick for the turn, but thought I was the only one on the river as I had not seen another boat for miles. I guess the obvious answer is usually the right one, just slow down and be more defensive in those tighter spots.

Bidpro, maybe I'll see you out there sometime. What boat are you in?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 33 Posts

Was the other boat a DCB?

When I encounter someone that I can't figure out what the heck they are doing I usually just come to a stop and wait to see where they go. I keep it in gear with my hand on the sticks in case I have to take immediate evasive action. I seem to be doing this more often these days. I'm even strating to back off when over taking boats from the rear and they are swerving left and right. This happens a lot on The River, boats going slower and swerving and boats coming at you at the same time. I now slow down to let the oncoming boats pass, then try to get past the swerving boat as quick as possible. Or, i just avoid Havasu and The River all together!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

By the rules of navigation, you should both go to the right and give way to one another. You did the right thing, he didn't. Good job at taking evasive action to avoid a collision.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

sounds like you did the right thing navigating.......

70mph on a 90 degree turn w/ a step bottom.....Be Careful. I had a friend spin and roll doing that.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Was the other boat a DCB?
What is a DCB?? Deckboat?

I did not get a great look at him, other than the head on view. I believe he was in a performance v-hull which was larger than mine. Maybe 27-30 ft.

After the pass I gave a quick glance back and thought of turning, but thought better of it and continued on my way.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
By the rules of navigation, you should both go to the right and give way to one another. You did the right thing, he didn't. Good job at taking evasive action to avoid a collision.
HHHMMMMMMM......Sounds like a good reason for boat licensing. Ofcouse passing boating test would be the 1st criteria for getting that license!!! Too many people who don't know what to do, and also too many arrogant people who think they own the road!!!

Quick Reply: Head On Pass - Freaked Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.