Notices

Duh!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that girl looks like john cone s (superboat fame) daughter.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
There's no reasonable justification for a 11 year-old to be behind the wheel of any high-performance boat.

None.

Lanyard, proper PFD, nothing. (and that vest was a joke)

And I'm doubting that at the speed they were running that she made a swift panic turn at that bridge opening. I'd like to see the rest of the tape.

My guess is she's not on the list of named operators on the boat's insurance policy either.
Dude........you have got to be the biggest fun haters on this site. I drove boats at that age. No, they didn't go 75mph, but kids are smarter than you give them credit. We/They learn by watching and observing. Her senses and reactions are just as sharp as you and I if not better. The driver was behind her and if anything happened he could of grabed the wheel or throttles. Starting at an early age makes you a better boat driver.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
but kids are smarter than you give them credit. .
I'll give you that- she's probably brighter, safer and more conscientious than quite a few of the frequenters of this website as well as the bozos I see out on the water.

Jackets, lanyards and sober boating are such buzzkills.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
but kids are smarter than you give them credit. We/They learn by watching and observing. Her senses and reactions are just as sharp as you and I if not better. Starting at an early age makes you a better boat driver.
Take "boat" out and put "car" in there.

Based on your assesment, we should lower the driver's licence age to 10 and exempt them from speed limits.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big difference in driving on a busy highway and driving a boat in open water with no other boats around. iIdid it and both my kids have done it and yes at 75 when the water alowed it. i was always right there to help or take over as needed and my girl is great she watches out for other boats she knows the law and if all else failes she knows to slow down if she does not like what she sees around her
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikes280
big difference in driving on a busy highway and driving a boat in open water with no other boats around. iIdid it and both my kids have done it and yes at 75 when the water alowed it. i was always right there to help or take over as needed and my girl is great she watches out for other boats she knows the law and if all else failes she knows to slow down if she does not like what she sees around her
So basicly she is better than 80% of the other people on the water
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
So basicly she is better than 80% of the other people on the water
I would have to say............. YUP!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,966 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Take "boat" out and put "car" in there.

Based on your assesment, we should lower the driver's licence age to 10 and exempt them from speed limits.

Nobody is saying that the girl should just be handed the keys to the boat.

BTW, I learned how to drive a car at 13yrs old. The car was much more difficult to learn to drive since it was a 4 speed
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Registered

Chris has some valid points. As far as the car comparison is concerned, a clear, open road is a fairly predictable risk. Water is generally not a "predictable" risk; light chop, no chop, whatever. The visual perspective of an adult vs a kid (should) give a lot different read of the coming water and the advance ability to react. Dad standing behind her just means one more thing for him to hit on the way out of the boat if she or the boat does something unpredictable. BUT--------What if she races small-fry hydros and is used to speed and reading the lake? A valid possibility maybe, but I've said it before, if you put something like that out there for people to look at, you're going to get some strong opinions both ways and you better be ready to take the lumps.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default AGE is a number.

I had my first boat at 9 .My cousin and I built it from plans from mechanics illastrated.Boat ran 40 it was a hydro ran with a 25 outboard.I'm 60 now and still going fast. My son 25 was driveing and had a boat since he was 9 GW Invader with a 40 that flew, he had his boat licenses Coast Gaurd at the age of 10.Nothing wrong with running a boat if you are young and have the right guidence,and have the safety gear required.I'm sure she don't run the boat in high traffic areas.How do you think people learn to run fuel dragesters, or flat bottoms. Some one has to teach them and give them the chance. She can't drive no worse then sum older jerks I've seen behind the wheel of Fast boats. Just my 2 cents. JOHN

Last edited by Fenderjack; 09-19-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Duh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.