Passengers Standing >

Passengers Standing

Notices

Passengers Standing

Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passengers Standing

I see a lot of photos from poker runs and the like where passengers are standing in the cockpit while the boat is underway. Is the legality of this determined by the amount of freeboard that a boat has? What amount of freeboard, if any, makes it ok to assume that your passengers will be safe standing?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont believe their are laws regarding this, but its a bad idea irregardless of freeboard imo. I didnt mind people standing in my boat when we were cruising at 40mph in a 40ft boat, but I see people standing in boats at 80mph in rough water. I dont know, maybe some people like broken ribs, stiches, getting ejected at 80mph may even be fun, I havent tried it so I cant knock it.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a "stander". My bolster seat is always in the down position when I am driving and if I am riding in a buddies boat I normally stand. I think it depends on the boat but if I am a 35+ V bottom I think it is easier to see what is coming at you if you are standing and holding the the grab handle than to wait until you feel it. Also, If you know a launch is coming I think you have less chance of getting ejected because you are braced and holding on. JMO
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think standing is fine if you are in a bolster, I think he meant standing around in the cockpit, like behind the driver and passenger.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think at least when your standing you are holding on to something like the rail on the back of the seat or somewhere else, as when your sitting your not holding on.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel safer standing, because I'm holding on to something, and soaking up bumps w/legs. Formula has handles on the back of their bolsters, must be some reason to put them on.

I do stand in the middle of the two bolsters on a friends' boat sometimes, but not at 80+ only up to 50ish, and holding on to something with both hands.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 345 Likes on 116 Posts

Do you mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails Passengers Standing-fpc3.jpeg  
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Do you mean like this?

There is a safety exemption for all aerial pics taken during FPB poker runs, this includes standing, laying on pads, aand tatas akimbo!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered

I too am a stander. As mentioned earlier, you can anticipate what's coming up, absorb shocks, and if things get out of control you will not get bruised up or worse because of the security of the grab rails should keep you from being thrown about.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

As others mentioned I also like to stand. Normally I am driving and I will do both but last weekend I was in a friends 32 Fountain and I felt more comfortable standing at 80+mph than sitting. You can see whats coming, hold on better and absorb the impacts better. JMO...

Quick Reply: Passengers Standing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.