Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many wear life jackets on the water???? >

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Notices

How many wear life jackets on the water????

Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ALWAYS wear my lanyard, but just haven`t developed a habit to wear a PFD while boating. I do wear one during fun runs / poker runs and ALWAYS if boating at night. Everyone on board wears one when boating at night . . .
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Never wore a lifejacket unless in the raceboats. Most of the time even testing them never wore a lifejacket. Lanyards, only when racing and never in our pleasure boats.
But, I don't think your crazy for doing it, I know I'm reckless in that respect and someday I might get bitten. My wife thinks I'm crazy and she'll be a widow someday. Old habits are tough to break!
You had me thinking there for a moment that maybe I´m overstating my case here. It is the hero´s right to decide how and when he goes, or even leave it to chance.....
The chances are however, that you may survive being thrown from your boat, only to watch it mow down someone else´s family.

At least use the lanyard, please!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You are not overstating your case. It is not a question of being a hero, it is 38 years on the ocean starting when we went 80 to 100 offshore with a compass, chart, depth finder, and a watch. Back then we took many things for granted, like I said I admit I am probably not the brightest.

You know I get what you're saying, I never thought about the boat hitting someone else - point well taken I will try to remember.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear the sospenders when just pleasure riding but step up to the lifeline if i'm planning to run above 3/4 throttle
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I never wear them unless required to or told to on a PR. Lanyard, yes, always...Drinking, No, not until Im done or boat is on trailer.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
A.T. Cult Member #4
VIP Member

I wear my lifeline in PR's, however after reading this I may consider wearing it all the time when going fast. It will never hurt.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When running hard in the ocean we not only wear life jackets but have the lanyards connected and helmets on.

I must admit when not running hard in the bay we don't do any of the above, maybe time to think about it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the 39 I wear the Lifelines and the lanyard whenever I'm on plane. Period.

No drinking before or during operation of the boat. Period.

I can't afford the consequences.

That said I need to get a lanyard for the 20.

Last edited by omerta one; 08-21-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered

I always wear one and the kill switches in the skater when pushing it. Stuff happens way to fast to take chances...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 379 Likes on 127 Posts

I always wear the kill switch when on plane, but normally don't wear jackets. But if I am testing props and making high speed runs I put on the lifelines, and if we are out at night we will often put on the jackets, and there's been a time or two when we were caught in a bad storm that we put them on. For everyday boating I would just as well put on full football gear when driving my car as put on a lifejacket when cruising the lake.

Quick Reply: How many wear life jackets on the water????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.