Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Can I ask a dumb Question? >

Can I ask a dumb Question?

Notices

Can I ask a dumb Question?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear tie downs are important a few years ago I couldnt understand WHY my boat wouldnt come off the trailer? I kept backing down my ramp a little more, a little more, still nothing. Then to my HORROR I realized I had forgotten to take the rear tie downs off! NO problem! Just drive ahead and release them, right? WRONG! I had backed SO far down the ramp my Blazer wouldnt pull the boat out!!!

About that time it started raining, so, there I was, up to my chest in cold water, fumbling around trying to undo the straps.

This happened the FOURTH year I had the boat, luckily on a boat launch on my property (or else I probably would have been lynched)

Had I used a "checklist" it never would have happened.

Michael

Ps: when you take the boat out, especially first few times, be SURE to look someone know where your going and how long, any "smart" phone has a free app for "boat plans" that you can Email, or just tell someone, that way if something goes wrong you wont be floating around the drink waiting for someone to "notice" your missing.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
Yes this is a single engine Scarab. Really good advice guys I am taking it all in.
The only thing I won't do and I am uncomfortable do so is powering up on the trailer. I am just not comfortable with that especially with a Scarab.
So, don't if you can avoid it.

My local lake has 1 marina where there is a nice long dock you can back in next to. I'd back in the the ass of the boat floated. Then get out of the truck, go start the boat and make sure everything was running right. Then I'd go unhook the nose from the trailer and tie off to the dock while the boat warmed up at an idle. Then back in the truck to park. Back to the boat and off to the lake. Whole process went very, very quick.

When loading, I'd bascially repeat the process. I rarely ever had to power load the boat.

It was fast, easy and I could do it easily solo. I even had a park ranger stop by one time and tell me he was impressed at the efficient launch process I had.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just thought I would chime in here. OSO is a great source of advice and info. Welcome and good luck. Another good source of info to read would be the US Coast Guards "Rules of the Road". Every boat handles differently, approaching the dock is a learned skill but not all accidents happen at the dock. Many and maybe most happen at speed due to a driver not knowing how to negotiate a wake, wave, winds and weather. If you can get to the ramp on a weekday it might be less crowded and you can practice your approaches. People tend to get aggravated at a boater who is blocking the ramp while he learns for the first time how to load his boat back onto the trailer. Launching is easier than retrieval. Do as much as you can in the de-rigging area, plugs, straps, coolers, towables, lines and fenders etc. Don't wait till the boat is on the ramp to load it. Please!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes

Eceptor that is a very good idea . Will do! I have always had a check list for my RV never thought of for the boat but one hell of good idea!

THANKS!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Everyone here was a novice a some point. Here's a couple hot tips I can think of for you that will already put you ahead of many boaters if you follow them. Load your boat before you get to the ramp. So often you will see boaters carrying coolers, etc. down to the dock after boat is in water. Not a good way to win friends when theres a line of boats waiting to launch. Someone else also mentioned having your dock lines already tied to cleats when you back in. Makes things alot easier for you and whomever will be securing your boat while you park the trailer. When in water. no-one should ever be allowed to sit on sun pad or swim step when boat is running. Make it a habit to not even start boat if someone is back there. And when back at ramp at end of day, pound it in your head that the first thing you do when shutting off motor is to raise the drive. It should be second nature to you. Good Luck and have fun. Most of all, safety first for you and your guests.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Default Boat Test.com

Boat Test.com has a free online video series which covers alot of basic info.
http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=3739
Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Default Anchor Ropes

What is the rule of thumb for lenth of anchor ropes? Now take into account we have ponds and mud puddles around here in the freekin sticks.
While I got you guys on here.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Registered

So Michael why wouldnt the blazer pull the boat up? Boat water logged? Boat pulled up the rear end of the Blaze by still being tied to the boat?????
Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
THANKS!
You are welcome...happy to help.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rich allen
When in water. no-one should ever be allowed to sit on sun pad or swim step when boat is running. Make it a habit to not even start boat if someone is back there.
Very good advice.

After I start my engine (with the boat still attached to the trailer) I always raise the engine hatch and give things a quick look and listen to make sure everything is good. No funky knocks, not water leaking anywhere, no smoke. Literally a 10 second check - look port, look starboard and done. This also makes sure nobody is sitting where they shouldn't be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.