Can I ask a dumb Question?

Notices

Can I ask a dumb Question?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I ask a dumb Question?

Ok guys don't bust my balls too bad ok?
I do marine repair but really have not had a boat that I could put in the water over the years.

Heres the problem I just got this scarab an really don't have much experence in boating. Give me an engine , drive, fuel system , electrical etc I am good to go.

What you do if your just dumb on boating. I live in the sticks and there is no I repeat no boating classes here. I do know how to launch a boat but manuvering into boat docks and getting tied up etc is another story. I know how to back a trailer good and know how to secure the boat on the trailer.

I am going through this boat with a fine tooth comb everything is going to be coast Guard approved.
Being a performance boat I am concerned I might run it into the dock or some s##t.

So any advice out there guys worried about screwing up this boat.

Keep the ball bustin down to a minimum ok?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a dumb question at all! We weren't born driving boats and had to learn somewhere and somehow. You might find some safety videos on YouTube or on other boating safety sites to help you cover the basics. And just remember only go as fast or close as you are comfortable
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

go to the library and get a book called Piloting,seamanship and small boat handling by a guy named Chapman.Then when you get out on the water go slow and then slower...........!!

Not any dumb questions........ Good luck

Jim

Last edited by cigboat1; 07-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried about docking the boat too, a guy once told me to not approach the dock any faster than you wanted to hit it. Sounded like smart a$$ advice to me a first, but as you gain experience is really is good advice.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Registered

only dumb question is the one you dont ask,just go slow and watch how other people do it and dont be affraid to ask for help at the dock good luck
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big bouys and good deck hands are also a nice touch. And by deck hands I mean the people that help protect the boat and not sit there like it is trail ride!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

You must know some friends that boat, ask them to join you 1st few times out.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read up and watch some vids. Ask fellow boats. Pick a low traffic day and go out and practice coming in forward and backing in slips and docks. A clear head and a lil practice go a long way.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/default.asp and take their free online boating safety course. You'll get a certificate when completed and it will even help you save on insurance.

As far as boat seamanship and docking...practice, practice, practice.

Nothing dumb about asking, we were all "boat dumb" at one time. Every boater at one time took control of their first boat for the first time.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by innerrage
only dumb question is the one you dont ask,just go slow and watch how other people do it and dont be affraid to ask for help at the dock good luck
I would be careful about watching other people, depending on where you are boating. MY advice is never assume everybody knows what they're doing. There are plenty of people out there like you who aren't experienced, but many of them try to wing it. These are the guys driving into rocks/sandbars/docks, racing into the dock then throwing it into reverse, struggling at the launch, etc. Luckily, if you keep your distance from everybody for awhile, you'll figure out who knows what they're doing and who doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.