First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice >

First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice

Notices

First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice

Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice

I have been actively reading these forums and figured I could get some good advise from here. I am purchasing my first boat, (Carolina Skiff 21 LS) and want to be safe on the water. but just as important I want to get my boat in and out of the water. The thing that worries me the most is these boat launching "fails" I see on you tube. Does anyone have any advice on how to best ready myself for this and some good best practices for launching and retrieving my boat. I am using a 4x4 Ram 1500. The safety course helps but dumping my truck and boat is my biggest worry. Will not actually have it until Spring so I have some time to prepare.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

There’s no shame in bringing wheel chocks, always turn the wheels so if the truck rolls back it’ll go sideways into dock, and always have it in 4 wheel drive. The back wheels on mossy concrete is a major issue.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:45 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 59 Posts

My suggestion would be to go to the ramp during the week when no one is around and practice from several spots in the park. That way you'll be free to make mistakes w/o pressure from every Tom, Dick and Harry that think they are helping. Always do your prep work before backing down such as the plug, coolers, straps and such. Each time you will learn something new. If you don't have the boat yet, go down to the ramp and watch what others do and don't do. You will learn and be entertained at the same time.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 374 Likes on 166 Posts

Make sure your parking brake works, and use it religiously. Do not rely on the parking pawl in the transmission.
Get a procedure / system figured out and always do it the same. Don't let distractions make you change or miss a step.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Assuming you've practiced backing a trailer........
Make sure she's fueled amd battery is good before getting to the ramp. Do your launching preparations off to the side so you don't hold up the ramp. Other boaters get (Cooler, towels, bag, fishing gear, sunscreen etc.)

Dumbest mistakes are forgetting to put the bung/drain plug in... boat sinks

Undoing the winch strap before backing the rig into the water... boat falls off

Not removing the tie downs.... boat won't budge no matter how hard you rev it

Doing anything faster than a slow walk/idle.... the accident is 10 times worse

Trying to do it alone when you're not experienced.... you'll be straight on YouTube

Don't overthink it, go to the ramp on a Sunday and watch others. Learn from their mistakes. It's easy, just takes some getting used to.
Welcome to boating!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 10-27-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: apostrophe
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks all for the advice. I have a few months so as suggested, I will be heading out to launches in the area to observe for a while. A few things in the post I have not heard before but sound like a good idea like the wheel turn idea.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 307 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by liberator221
Make sure your parking brake works, and use it religiously. Do not rely on the parking pawl in the transmission.
Get a procedure / system figured out and always do it the same. Don't let distractions make you change or miss a step.
This guy is RIGHT...automatic transmission on my Excursion (in park) did NOT hold my boat on the ramp. It turned out to be slack in the shifter cable BUT the result was the same...would not stop/hold the truck from rolling back. Have a spotter/walker/wheel chocker with you.
Do a checklist and don't get distracted.
Tom
Old 10-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you purchase a trailer of good quality and optimum size for your area conditions . Longer trailers usually offer a better ride quality and , in most cases, are easier to back ( respond slower to steering input) , as long as your launch areas have sufficient space for manuevering. You may require a Bunk or roller trailer , depending on ramp type most frequently used. If you have sufficient clearance , drop tailgate to get better view of boat ( just don't dump your stuff on the ramp).
Old 10-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As was said before, go and watch the screwups of others 1st. Learn from what you see. Just don't rush, that's when stuff happens. Some of the best and worst stories a always refer to were at the ramps. Good luck but most of all have fun.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 307 Likes on 155 Posts

Find an experienced boat buddy.
Take an online boat course.
Start the motor(s) while in the water but BEFORE you unhook the nose strap.
Ask the locals at the ramp. One of my two local side-by-side ramps has a dip/lip/drop-off that I was warned about...unseen by the depth of the water.
The following users liked this post:
Xcomunic8d (07-01-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.