Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Who has the right of way .. >

Who has the right of way ..

Notices

Who has the right of way ..

Old 04-10-2024, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

YOU,,,YOU always have the right,,,,,,,, doesn't matter who YOU are.

At least around here that is what most think.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

If you can see the RIGHT side of their boat, you have the RIGHT of way.

...or...

Port side of a crossing vessel has a RED light on it. That means you "stop" or give way. (They see your green light.)
Starboard side of a crossing vessel has a GREEN light on it. That means you have the "green light" to proceed. (They see your red light.)
Obviously, this does not rely on whether navigation lights are turned on or not.

That's how I remember it when I'm on the water. But of course every situation is subject to conditions and driver awareness; as well as the under sail and maneuverability (size) rules of the water.

Typically when oncoming either at heading Zero or, a slight angle; sometimes you can see they are heading into a cove or a specific target.
In that case, if it's looks like the crossing is going to go against the rules of the water...
...I'll give a noticeable quick bow change of direction, before committing. That usually signals to them so they commit, and then I commit after.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-10-2024 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (04-10-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know it’s a little late, but the boat on the right has the right of way unless you’re under sail or restricted in your ability to maneuver (not size).