What Prop?? >

What Prop??

Notices

What Prop??

Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Prop??

Just finished my 94 Checkmate 253 Convicor & need a baseline on whatprop to run. It has a 489 stroker with a bravo 1 . The engine is in the 525 to 550 hp range & it has 1:50 gears in the outdrive. I want to run a 3 blade & was wondering what a good prop pitch would be for all around performace.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: What Prop??

Are you determined to run a 3 blade? I would say you would get the best performance from a labbed 26" Bravo 4 blade.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

My cousin is selling a labbed 27 p hydromotive that would probably work great on that boat. Olders check respond really well to hydros. Let me know if your are interested. I think he needs $350 for it.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

Not set on running a 3 blade I just thought they make a boat run faster then a 4 blade. Also not sure on the 4 blade in the turns do they bite to much & not allow any slip. I really don't know so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Willy
Not set on running a 3 blade I just thought they make a boat run faster then a 4 blade. Also not sure on the 4 blade in the turns do they bite to much & not allow any slip. I really don't know so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

They run much more stable at speed and the cornering was night and day better with a 4 blade on my old 242 convincor.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
They run much more stable at speed and the cornering was night and day better with a 4 blade on my old 242 convincor.
I agree. The difference is night and day. They slip alot less, better midrange, better holeshot. The down side, maybe a touch less top end. However, all in all, a better running prop. In fact, when I had stock power, I liked my 4 blade so much, I opted for a 5 blade when I upgraded power.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wild willy
i would try that 27 hydro that magic knows about. it should put you in the right ballpark. a hydro is what i run. checkmates love hydros

Know anybody looking for a labbed 27 let me know the prop is mint!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I agree. The difference is night and day. They slip alot less, better midrange, better holeshot. The down side, maybe a touch less top end. However, all in all, a better running prop. In fact, when I had stock power, I liked my 4 blade so much, I opted for a 5 blade when I upgraded power.
Vinny,
What topspeed would your 454MAG run with the 26 4 blade and at what rpm? How did that compare to the 23 Mirage Plus (mph/rpm)? We may add Tyler Crockett's 454MAG Upgrade Kit this winter and need to reprop the additional 100HP.
Rob
Old 08-31-2006, 09:06 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,
With the exception of Gil exhaust, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, vortech flame arrestor, my 454 magnum was stock. I could spin a 26" Labbed Bravo 1 to 4950 rpm. Speed was 66 mph on gps. Worked out to about 13% slip. I tried a 3 blade Mirage once. If I remember, it was a 25". BUT, it was a bit beat up. It was not labbed and had been abused. The results were terrible. I dont remember speed #'s, but I remember hitting the rev limiter and not going any where fast. I never had the opportunity to try another.
What prop are you running now? I have tried my labbed 26" Bravo with my 540 engine. It works well also. I keep it for a back up in case I need it. With this engine ( 680 hp) I can spin the Bravo 1 prop to 6000 rpm @ 80 mph. About 14% slip. However, I chose to run a labbed 25" Hydromotive P-5X. I had the pitch dropped a bit. I can spin it to 5700 @ 80 mph. About 9% slip. Not much of a difference between the 2 as far as speed #'s. BUT, the ride is better with the 5 blade, so I kept it.
I am looking to try a -2 Shorty lower soon. I may soon be able to borrow 1 for a test session. I'll post results if it happens.

Vinny

Last edited by Vinny P; 08-31-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Rob,
With the exception of Gil exhaust, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, vortech flame arrestor, my 454 magnum was stock. I could spin a 26" Labbed Bravo 1 to 4950 rpm. Speed was 66 mph on gps. Worked out to about 13% slip. I tried a 3 blade Mirage once. If I remember, it was a 25". BUT, it was a bit beat up. It was not labbed and had been abused. The results were terrible. I dont remember speed #'s, but I remember hitting the rev limiter and not going any where fast. I never had the opportunity to try another.
What prop are you running now? I have tried my labbed 26" Bravo with my 540 engine. It works well also. I keep it for a back up in case I need it. With this engine ( 680 hp) I can spin the Bravo 1 prop to 6000 rpm @ 80 mph. About 14% slip. However, I chose to run a labbed 25" Hydromotive P-5X. I had the pitch dropped a bit. I can spin it to 5700 @ 80 mph. About 9% slip. Not much of a difference between the 2 as far as speed #'s. BUT, the ride is better with the 5 blade, so I kept it.
I am looking to try a -2 Shorty lower soon. I may soon be able to borrow 1 for a test session. I'll post results if it happens.

Vinny
I am currently running a 23 Mirage Plus (3 blade) at 5100 RPM resulting 65mph WOT GPS. The 454MAG is currently stock. I am thinking a 26 4 blade may be a good option with 480 propshaft HP. The upgrade kit includes exhaust, cam, heads milled .020 and ported, fuel pump, and reprogrammed ECU.

Quick Reply: What Prop??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.