ZT280 questions >

ZT280 questions

Notices

ZT280 questions

Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZT280 questions

Ive got a friend looking at buying a ZT280 and was wondering what he could expect for speed with a 502. Several people have been claiming 70-71 GPS but that seems a little high to me with 415hp. I did a search on this forum and many say low to mid 60's. Also do all these boats have a step hull or was it changed at some year? Maybe thats where the variation is in speeds.
Also and other good points or bad points in the hull design or driveabilty or anything else???
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: ZT280 questions

I have a 99 with a 500 efi. The best speed I have run is 71gps, I can run 69-70gps most of the time. This is with the regular load 2 people coolers and plenty of gas. The hull rides pretty good, better than the 28 Nordic Heat that I had but nothing like the 28 Active thunder that I rode in this summer. The boat has a very small step if you can call it that and all ZT 280 have had it since they were first introducted. My boat was a handfull at WOTbefore I added steering. All in all the ZT is a great all around boat, alot of boat for the money. It is missing alot of the frills that you can get on some other comparable boats, but overall it gets the job done.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have been looking at 29 Scarabs with stock single 502's. As I am not worried with TOP speed as much as the ride ... for those with experience with a CM.... how woudl you compare?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
I have a 99 with a 500 efi. The best speed I have run is 71gps, I can run 69-70gps most of the time. This is with the regular load 2 people coolers and plenty of gas. The hull rides pretty good, better than the 28 Nordic Heat that I had but nothing like the 28 Active thunder that I rode in this summer. The boat has a very small step if you can call it that and all ZT 280 have had it since they were first introducted. My boat was a handfull at WOTbefore I added steering. All in all the ZT is a great all around boat, alot of boat for the money. It is missing alot of the frills that you can get on some other comparable boats, but overall it gets the job done.
You say a handful at 70 before external steering? What would it do chinewalk? I would think that size boat at 70 would feel pretty stable, my H2X used to be real stable at that speed. It seems like for the price of them its a good boat, there are many boats out there in that size range like active thunder or sunsation that are nicer or ride better but not for under 40k for a 5 year old boat.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dagah2x
You say a handful at 70 before external steering? What would it do chinewalk? I would think that size boat at 70 would feel pretty stable, my H2X used to be real stable at that speed. It seems like for the price of them its a good boat, there are many boats out there in that size range like active thunder or sunsation that are nicer or ride better but not for under 40k for a 5 year old boat.

It had chinewalk, you could drive through it buy it was not the safest feeling. I have been shopping 28 singles for a long time and Checkmate is hard to beat for price. I have looked at Suns and ATs, and it is really hard to find on under 50K or should I say low 40's. I have had my eyes on a 28 Sun for awhile just think the used prices are a little steep.

Your Baja has a hook in the hull, in the end that will slow you down but it eliminates chine walk and purposing. As many Checkmate owners know, alot of Checks purpoise which can be corrected by trimming or tab inpuit. I call it the Checkmate hop.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Registered

It had chinewalk, you could drive through it buy it was not the safest feeling. I have been shopping 28 singles for a long time and Checkmate is hard to beat for price. I have looked at Suns and ATs, and it is really hard to find on under 50K or should I say low 40's. I have had my eyes on a 28 Sun for awhile just think the used prices are a little steep.

Your Baja has a hook in the hull, in the end that will slow you down but it eliminates chine walk and purposing. As many Checkmate owners know, alot of Checks purpoise which can be corrected by trimming or tab inpuit. I call it the Checkmate hop.
I have a 288 with a procharger now that chinewalks over 78, it does not have hydraulic steering but it does have drew stabilizer bars for safety. I was thinking of doing full hydraulic over the winter to correct the chine. So you say it helped a lot on your 280?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

I have a 288 with a procharger now that chinewalks over 78, it does not have hydraulic steering but it does have drew stabilizer bars for safety. I was thinking of doing full hydraulic over the winter to correct the chine. So you say it helped a lot on your 280?

I am not going to get on my soap box like alot of others due, but I believe any boat with a 500 hp engine or over should have at least a add on system. That is what I have, I might convert it to full hydrualic over the winter. Yes it helped, night and day. For the handeling, safety etc, it is well worth the cash. I did steering so if I ever do any engine mods that expense will already be taken care of.

PS, tell your buddy I might sell my ZT for the right $. 99 500efi 300 hrs, shore power, transom shower, dual ram add on steering, excellent condition.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

I am not going to get on my soap box like alot of others due, but I believe any boat with a 500 hp engine or over should have at least a add on system. That is what I have, I might convert it to full hydrualic over the winter. Yes it helped, night and day. For the handeling, safety etc, it is well worth the cash. I did steering so if I ever do any engine mods that expense will already be taken care of.

PS, tell your buddy I might sell my ZT for the right $. 99 500efi 300 hrs, shore power, transom shower, dual ram add on steering, excellent condition.
I agree with the hydro steering with big HP. I bought the boat this year the way it is and want to do full when I have the $3500. I do have the stabilizer bars now which are suppose to hold the drive if something were to break. PM me a price and ill let him know. Hes looking at 35-40k.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

I agree with the hydro steering with big HP. I bought the boat this year the way it is and want to do full when I have the $3500. I do have the stabilizer bars now which are suppose to hold the drive if something were to break. PM me a price and ill let him know. Hes looking at 35-40k.

I love the 28 Suns have been looking at them for awhile, excellent boat. I am sure you love yours. The steering will be a great upgrade when you get the change. Not sure if I want to sell, but I like boating shopping almost as much as I like boating.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 AM
FOUNTAIN LIGHTNING 33
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Andy how was your summer? We have seen a lot of rain and cool temps this year.You like the ride of a active thunder better then you 280? Robin

Quick Reply: ZT280 questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.