Engine Shop >

Engine Shop

Notices

Engine Shop

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Shop

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
While I have never had the opportunity to test in fresh water, I have not heard of any measurable difference in performance between fresh and salt water. Altitude is another story. As anyone would expect, the loss of horsepower attributed to altitude only increases the higher you go. I am sure that it exists, I dont know of any actual formulas that can measure the loss at specific altitudes.
I was under the impression salt water is more buoyant and and easier to lift the boat out of the water(less drag). I am sure the racing crowd (those who participate in salt water and fresh water events) can confirm or correct this statement. Vinny your boat was running a good 2-3mph faster than our's with the 454MAG, maybe that is just driver skill.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,

I absolutely agree with the statement of salt water being more bouyant. There is no questioning that. My thoughts and let me reiterate, thoughts, no testing or scientific experiments to back me up, are that when our boats are up to full speed, there is just not enough hull in the water to take advantage of the salts bouyancy. Thereby, the advantage is negligable at best. I dont have an answer for why my boat was a few mph faster than yours with the same power. I am sure you know how to get to maximum performance just fine.
I can say this for sure... I used to be heavy into slolam skiing. I have skiied in salt and fresh water. I noticed that when floating in the water waiting to get pulled up, I was a bit deeper in fresh than salt water. That made pulling up more difficult.

Vinny
Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 AM

Rob,

I absolutely agree with the statement of salt water being more bouyant. There is no questioning that. My thoughts and let me reiterate, thoughts, no testing or scientific experiments to back me up, are that when our boats are up to full speed, there is just not enough hull in the water to take advantage of the salts bouyancy. Thereby, the advantage is negligable at best. I dont have an answer for why my boat was a few mph faster than yours with the same power. I am sure you know how to get to maximum performance just fine.
I can say this for sure... I used to be heavy into slolam skiing. I have skiied in salt and fresh water. I noticed that when floating in the water waiting to get pulled up, I was a bit deeper in fresh than salt water. That made pulling up more difficult.

Vinny
Vinny,
What size Dana tabs do you have? Did you install them yourself? If so, how difficult was that project? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,

I have HP-1000 tabs. The problem with installing these tabs is the extra holes you will have from the original tabs. I am not skilled at fiberglass repair. What I did to repair the old holes was hammer in wooden dowels drenched in white marine tex. Then a quick coat of white gel to finish it off. Unfortunetly, the repair looked like $hit. So, I covered some of the mess with a gunnel step plate. I'll take a picture later and post it.
The next problem would be the indicators. There is just no easy place to mount it. I'll post a picture later as well. It is the best I could figure mounting it.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

OK, just came in from the garage. I took a few shots...
Attached Thumbnails Engine Shop-dash-.jpg   Engine Shop-tab.jpg   Engine Shop-transom.jpg  

Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Vinny,
Thanks for the pictures. Did your nose cone add any speed? Did you modify the X-dimension?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

The lower is a standard length Imco SC. I put the drive on when I upgraded power, so I dont know if the bulleted lower did any good. I have never tested a standard XR lower. I have tried a -2 Imco shorty. I didnt have enough time to fully test with it. I did gain some top end speed but felt that the handling and ability to get on plane were too badly compromised to make the investment worth while.
Unless I can get a deal on a good used -2 Imco lower or better yet a good used case, I am not going to bother. I figure I can always throw a spacer in and be back where I am now.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 AM

Vinny,
Did you mount the Dana tabs in the same veritcal position as the Insta-Trim tabs on the transom? Do your Dana tabs exceed the length of your swim platform? The Dana tabs look great.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rob,

The Dana tabs are mounted in the same location as the original Insta-Trims. They measure 24" long and dont go out past the swim platform. It's close, but not past the end. When down, the swim ladder clears them as well. Actually, I use then as a step to get back in the boat when in the water.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by RJBBC
Vinny,
Did you mount the Dana tabs in the same veritcal position as the Insta-Trim tabs on the transom? Do your Dana tabs exceed the length of your swim platform? The Dana tabs look great.
Rob, if you go with Dana tabs or K-planes, I would mount them the same as your existing tabs and follow the deadrise of the hull. If you are serious about adding bigger tabs and would be interested in going with a set of 280 K-planes, let me know. I have a source you can possible go with to get them at a significantly reduced cost.

Quick Reply: Engine Shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.