Does anyone know this Checkmate >

Does anyone know this Checkmate

Notices

Does anyone know this Checkmate

Old 03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know this Checkmate

Looks like a nice boat! Does anyone here know whos it was are anything about it? Wonder what the top speed would be with that 500hp motor...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...incor-92713335
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice lookin' ride.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

I talked to the guy at Grand Sport Center last year when they had it priced at @ 30K. I told hime I was interested in looking at it, but my budget was closer to 25k and he pretty much told me to get bent.

I found a really clean 253 with a 502 in LOTO and bought it.

After talking to the guy on the phone I probably I decided not to even drive the 4 hours to look at it and he could keep it.

I guess he should have been nicer to me. If he would have it would probably be sitting in my garage right now.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

That boat is what got me interested in the 253 Checkmate. Same type of thing as fireguy, I called on the boat and the price was lower than 30k but still by the time I called the boats were winterized and the only test that could be done was a prop shaft dyno. two weeks later I found my boat about 10 miles away and was able to take a real sea trial and bought it cheaper. Keep in mind mine only has a 454 so the current price with the 500 is pretty good.

In the photos it looks like when they changed the swim platform they just through bolted the old bolt holes. I would make sure they are sealed well. she is SWEET!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Registered

is this the same boat:

http://grandsportcenter.com/pop/1996..._convincor.htm

your link didnt work for me.

it is about ten mins from my house and at the dealer where I bought my boat. I know they have had it for 18 mos. plus.

I havent looked at it personally but would be happy to take a ride and shoot some photos and give you a good critical opinion of the boat.

the folks at gsc are first class. I dont think they deal in any junk. not sure why this mate has sat so long.

let me know if you want me to run over and get some shots for you, I am a lot closer than texas and have owned a couple mates.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Registered

Default I looked at it

only walked around it breifly last year when i was there.
the sundeck vinyl was pretty hard and showing some cracking started. i cant remember the overall of the gel....
overall it needed to be cleaned up all around.

i was starting to sell my check and was doing some comparison.
i would say may opinion was definately not 30k!

you gotta go look though, what i pick apart you may not even care about!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!

I mite have you run by and look it for me but its still a little out of my price range because I have to fly up and get it or have it delivered… It does appear to be a really good looking boat though…

“you gotta go look though, what i pick apart you may not even care about!”

Im pretty sure that I would care about the same things…lol

I went and looked at this one a few months ago and even did a test run… Water pump had a link, steering was major stiff, drive was making a nose like a shoe in a dryer, depth gage didn’t work or the speedo, Also had a big hole in the sun pad and the left railing was bent… Before the test run the dealer told me the boat was perfect and that I could get that hole fixed for around 20 bucks! It has 430hrs on 502 mag..

http://www.northtexasmarine.com/pre_...R0&veh=1491589
Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

That boats not bad either if you can get them down a little bit more, say $17000. In this price range how many boats are going to be super clean? I spent a lot time time doing just what you are doing looking for a boat and I was determined not to settle for just any boat. However when I found my boat I did settle for a little less speed for a clean boat with a good platform to upgrade for years to come without becommng a slave to a problem child. I decided being on the water was more satifying than the agony of looking for the perfect used boat in this price range. Lots of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by budandfun
Thanks guys!

I mite have you run by and look it for me but its still a little out of my price range because I have to fly up and get it or have it delivered… It does appear to be a really good looking boat though…

“you gotta go look though, what i pick apart you may not even care about!”

Im pretty sure that I would care about the same things…lol

I went and looked at this one a few months ago and even did a test run… Water pump had a link, steering was major stiff, drive was making a nose like a shoe in a dryer, depth gage didn’t work or the speedo, Also had a big hole in the sun pad and the left railing was bent… Before the test run the dealer told me the boat was perfect and that I could get that hole fixed for around 20 bucks! It has 430hrs on 502 mag..

http://www.northtexasmarine.com/pre_...R0&veh=1491589
I looked at the photos again, That boat looks pretty good to me. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes (which I was just a few months ago) I would list the problems you found above and see if they would fix them as well as any other items found during a survey. That boat is SWEET and the 502 is a good motor. For the hole on the pad, put a towel down on the pad when you get to the swimmng hole and problem solved untill you get the $ to have it fixed right.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SOX
That boats not bad either if you can get them down a little bit more, say $17000. In this price range how many boats are going to be super clean? I spent a lot time time doing just what you are doing looking for a boat and I was determined not to settle for just any boat. However when I found my boat I did settle for a little less speed for a clean boat with a good platform to upgrade for years to come without becommng a slave to a problem child. I decided being on the water was more satifying than the agony of looking for the perfect used boat in this price range. Lots of luck in whatever you decide.
Thanks SOX your right and that’s good advices…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.